9/17/18

Bloggers Quilt Festival: Written in Thread


It's here! The Bloggers Quilt Festival 2018! It's one of my favorite blogging events of the year. For this festival, I dug into the archives for a quilt I haven't shown in a while. This little quilt is called "Written in Thread." It's a mini at 22 x 28 inches, hand embroidered, machine pieced and quilted.


When I saw this quilt made up at Pendleton Quilt Works, a quilt shop in Pendleton, Oregon, it was love at first sight.


Sadly, the quilt shop is no longer in business, but not for lack of trying. They were sold out of the pattern, but took my information and promised to contact me when they received more. I filed that in the back of my mind, but really had no expectation anyone would follow through. Imagine my surprise when they called me at home a few days later and then shipped it to me. 

The pattern is from one of my favorite embroidery designers, Bareroots Designs.


Once I had it in my hands, I couldn't wait to get started on it. Some of the embroidery was a little tricky since the blocks were oddly shaped in some places and also embroidered on some skinny little pieces sandwiched between traditional piecing.


In some cases, the piecing was done before the embroidery to make it all work.


Fortunately, I had plenty of help from cats as I worked on it.


Here are a few more close-ups of the embroidered blocks.






Here's how it looks from the back.


This is my 8th year participating in the Blogger's Quilt Festival. You can see previous entries right here:
Fall, 2013
Spring, 2014
Fall, 2014
Fall, 2014 (second entry)
Spring, 2015
Spring, 2015 (second entry)
Fall, 2015
Fall, 2015 (second entry)
Fall, 2016

Thanks for stopping by! Now head on back there to the Blogger's Quilt Festival and give my fellow quilters some quilty love!

17 comments:

Preeti said...

Handmade is indeed heartmade. This quilt is an heirloom. You should be so proud of it.

For the love of geese said...

Oh so pretty. Denise@fortheloveofgeese

Denise :) said...

This is a really cute pattern. I can see where piecing it before stitching would make it much easier! :)

Quilting Babcia said...

I loved seeing this little quilt again, everything about it from those sweet embroidered blocks to the fabrics for the piecing.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love your pieces that mix embroidery, piecing and superior quilting.

QuiltShopGal said...

What a lovely quilt and stitchery project, just looks like you. I think I'd leave it hanging all the time vs tucked away. #CreativeGoodness

dapples said...

Wow! Love at first sight. I have been very interested in combining embroidery and quilting and I love what this one says.

Sharon said...

Precious quilt! You are so right...never can have too many cats!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

What a lovely mini! Beautiful embroideries

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

This is a gorgeous quilt - I can see why it is your favorite! Great fabric collection and those stitcheries are just darling!

Nancy in NV-wheres the dude at blogspot said...

This is such a sweet quilt. I especially like the quilts hanging on the fence. Too cute.

Lena Pugacheva said...

The pattern is lovely, and you did such a great job on all the embroidery! It's super-handmade:))

Sumac said...

such a wonderful quilt!

Kate said...

I remember you stitching the blocks for this one. Where did this one end up? Is it hanging somewhere in the house or in the RV?

quiltzyx said...

It's so nice to see this one again! I do remember when that one was under the needle :)

Pamela said...

That really is a cute one!

Brown Family said...

That really is a cute quilt!