12/30/22

Whole Hearted

Good morning, my friends. 2022 is in its final throes. I can't say I'm sorry to see it go, although plenty of good stuff happened during the year. I'm afraid it will always go down in our memories as the Year of the Plumbing Catastrophe. We'll still be dealing with that at the beginning of 2023, but I do believe we're in the home stretch. We're just waiting now for some custom baseboards to replace the ones that got broken. When those are installed, the project will be finished.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves before the year even gets started. There is yesterday's sewing to talk about. I took the first stitches on April's block for the Joyful Journey quilt.


There was one little kitchen task I wanted to take care of while I was thinking of it. I'll be trying a new recipe for a Peanut Fish Stew tomorrow evening. One of the recommended condiments for the stew is this Spiced Pickled Celery. It has to be made two days ahead, and so I got that going yesterday.


Celery is not one of my favorite foods, cooked or raw. I like it when it's stuffed with cream cheese or peanut butter. Otherwise, I'm kind of lukewarm on it. Nevertheless, I've seen recipes that were vastly improved with the suggested condiments, and so we'll give this a try. It was pretty simple...dice up some celery and onion, add in some fresh dill sprigs and then a pickling solution made from white wine vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and pickling spice. The pickling solution was boiled and then strained before it was added to the jar. Now, it's sitting in the fridge working away at pickling itself. I'll say more about this when I've actually tried the Peanut Fish Stew recipe.

Moving into the sewing room, I was working on the Stitches from the Heart mini. I had the first section finished, and so I went to work on the second section. When it was finished, I sewed it to the first section.

There was just one more section to finish off the whole heart.

When the three sections were sewn together, they looked like this.

I added some large triangles to each side, and the mini quilt top was finished.

From there, I rifled through my stash looking for an appropriate back. I'm using the same bright red used in the quilt for the quilt binding.

Now, it's sandwiched for quilting, and ready to go. Today I'll do some simple quilting and sew on the binding. I'll take it along on next week's camping trip for hand-sewing. With two embroidery blocks, a hanging sleeve, and a quilt binding, I should have plenty to keep me occupied over our three days away.

So let's just talk about what comes next for a minute, shall we? We have a large ham that remains from a pork share we split with Erik and Mae earlier this year. I've never actually done a ham that wasn't already cooked, but we're going to do that for our New Year's Day celebration. I'll be making some baked beans, skillet corn bread, and a seven-layer salad. Of course, I'll be baking something for dessert as well. Erik and Mae will join us to help eat it. The ham is huge!!!

The next day, we'll be leaving on our camping trip. I happen to know there is no internet or cell signal where we're going, and so I'll be forced to take a few days off from blogging. Tomorrow, I'll be posting a year-end review, but then don't expect to hear from me for several days. Of course, I'll be back to show you whatever sewing progress I've made, and I'll tell you about what happens on our trip. We've visited Cape Disappointment many times. It's one of our favorite campgrounds along the Washington/Oregon coastline. If you're desperate for something to read, you can read a couple of old Cape Disappointment posts right here, here, and here. We're expecting a lot of rain while we're there this time around, but as you can see in those previous posts, sometimes we get lucky.

So, after tomorrow's post, I won't be blogging again for at least a few days, but I need to ready a post for linking to January's OMG. 


I said I was going to start this quilt earlier in the month, but then I finished up my challenge quilt, and I didn't need it for respite sewing. Now, it has moved to the top of my whiteboard workflow chart. (I run my sewing room like a business. Too bad the money only flows in one direction.) January's OMG will be to quilt and bind the next quilt in my trashy series: Waste Not Whatnots. I'm looking forward to getting started on this.

I'll be linking up when the goal-setting party gets started. Actually, I'm only assuming this will continue into 2023. If not, I guess I'll be the only one at the party.

I've been writing this post from my laptop using my iPhone hotspot. Our internet is out again. We have pretty good internet most of the time. Our internet service here in the boondocks is wireless, and so bad weather can cause us problems. We've had almost more rain than I can believe in the past several days. We're hoping for better weather ahead, and now we're hoping even harder for our internet service to be restored. I only mention this because my luddite self was able to use a thumb drive to move pictures from my desktop computer to my laptop. Yay me! (Living with engineers allows one to become lazy technology-wise. If he doesn't outlive me, I'll be in trouble.)

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Wherever you go, go with all your heart. ~ Confucius

Julierose said...

I hope your trip is a wonderful one and that the weather will cooperate for you!!
The heart quilt is so pretty--I've really gotten to like red/pink combos this past year...53 degrees here this noontime--since I walked yesterday more than my usual my back is letting me know it's still there!! So resting here for now and knitting my purple face cloth (some people call them dishcloths!!) for my granddaughter Fiona...the blue one will go to Willa--when they saw their Mom's they definitely had to have one!! who knew such a little thing would be so popular?
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU...
Hugs, Julierose

Anonymous said...

Have a good trip….and hopefully better than predicted weather!
And, since we will pass into a new year before your next blog post…..Happy New Year!!!
Sandra B
scb23229@yahoo.com

Jenny said...

Another trip away, how exciting. We are currently still caravanning around this wonderful country of ours, New Zealand, doing a little stitching and knitting as we go.

Kate said...

Very pretty heart mini! That one worked up quickly. Enjoy your camping trip, fingers crossed that they have the forecast all wrong for the weekend and you get to enjoy some dry weather. Enjoy your new year's dinner with Eric and Mae.

Susan said...

I hope the weather cooperates for your trip. We are dealing with temperatures 40 degrees warmer than during the blizzard last weekend and thus the quick melting of the 2+ feet of snow we got during that. I am glad to see the pavement, especially when I have to drive.The quilt waiting to be quilted is very striking. I think it is the black background that brings out all the color. Have a great New Year's Eve and day.

MissPat said...

Have a Happy New Year and relaxing few days away. Then it's back to work for you.
Pat

piecefulwendy said...

Enjoy your time at Cape Disappointment (still a favorite stop for me), even with the rain. Happy New Year to you, Mike and the kitties!

Susan said...

You aren't the only one at the party, thank goodness! Best of luck finishing. I hope Cape Disappointment was not a disappointment this time, either.