12/29/22

Little Bits

Good morning, my friends. Yesterday's weather was a slight improvement over the previous day, but it's raining hard again this morning. It might be time to start building an ark. We had a long grocery shopping list for yesterday's enjoyment, and that's all done. We won't need to go back again until after we get home from next week's camping trip. It's always good to have that job behind us. Today, I have a few housekeeping chores on the agenda, but then I can sew to my heart's content.

Before we left yesterday, I took the final stitches on Bernie's Mittens. So much fun.


My son, Erik, is a Bernie fan, and he's already spoken up for this little wall-hanging. It still needs a couple of borders, but I should have it finished before the end of next month.

After that, I went to work on a new mini I'm starting. This is called Stitches from the Heart, and the free pattern is available on the Fat Quarter Shop website. It comes in two sizes, and I'm making the mini that ends up at about 12 x 12 inches.


The instructions include an item called Triangles on a Roll Triangle Paper. I've never used the product, and I don't feel a need to use it now. I'm doing mine a little differently, making all the half square triangles by adding 3/8 of an inch to the finished size and then going from there. I needed a dozen or so 1-7/8-inch squares cut from eight different fabrics. For that, I really like this small Creative Grids "Itty-Bitty Eights" ruler. It's nicely marked in 1/8-inch increments.


While I was working on that, Sadie showed up. It was her day to be my sewing cat.


She'll take her catnip payment in advance, thank you.


Okay, now, where were we?


With her help, I cut lots of little squares. I'll probably need a few more, but it was a good place to start. I laid them out on a 12-inch ruler so that I could carry them around the room.


And then I went to work sewing them together. The quilt is made in three sections, this first one being the largest. By the end of my sewing day, I had the first section finished.


That part probably took the longest. There are two more sections of HST arranged to create the heart shape, and then a few background pieces to finish it off. I'm thinking I can have the little quilt top sewn together by the end of today. Also, I'll take the first stitches on April's block for the Joyful Journey quilt.


So you can see there's plenty to keep me busy today. I'm hoping the rain will let up a little, and I'll get outside to feed the birds. Winter is just barely getting started, but it feels as if it's going to be a long slog if this heavy rain continues for much longer. 

Okay, time to get a start on the day. I've played all my word games...time for breakfast and some slow-stitching.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed. ~ Khalil Gibran

Kate said...

The Bernie project is really fun. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to frame it with. Your newest project is really cute and you've picked some really fun colors to make it with. Enjoy your stitching time today. Stay dry!

piecefulwendy said...

A rainy day makes for good sewing weather, and you have good help. Always fun to see what you are stitching up in your quilt room! No sewing here today, just getting ready for our kids to visit tonight for our Christmas that was postponed!

Quilting Babcia said...

Cottontail looks like it would also make up into a sweet springtime mini. Hope your camping trip won't be a complete washout. We're having a thaw after last week's snow and cold. The yard is mostly bare now but the driveway is a sheet of ice from the garage all the way out to the road. Happy new year!