11/3/18

A Wet Week

As expected, it rained most of the time during our getaway to Cape Disappointment this past week. We arrived home yesterday. Most everything is unpacked, but there are still a few things to put away. We left in fog, although it was probably a low flying cloud hovering at the top of our hill. When we crossed over the coastal mountain range, the sun was waiting on the other side.


We still had quite a distance to go, but eventually we crossed what Mike calls the "tall, scary bridge" across the mouth of the Columbia River into Washington.


On the Oregon side, the bridge is tall and high above the water to allow ocean-going vessels to pass under.


To our right was the Columbia River and several ships awaiting river guides to take them up the Columbia and into the ports at Longview and Portland.


To our left...the Pacific Ocean.


Straight ahead, the bridge flattens out, close to the water, across this huge expanse of river.


On the far side, one enters the state of Washington.


From there, it's just about half an hour through the coastal communities of Chinook, Washington, and Ilwaco, Washington, to Cape Disappointment State Park. It's among our favorite of the state parks available to us in Oregon and Washington.


Here, I have to show you Mike's ingenious solution for the catio window. The problem is that when the weather is cold, cold air passes in where the kitties go out. Mike taped up some heavy plastic with slits cut so the kitties could pass in and out, but it prevented most of the cold wind (and rain) from blowing into the trailer. It worked perfectly.


He has a plan to use a sheet of plexiglass with a regular kitty door mounted in the middle as a permanent solution to this problem, but that will take a little longer. For this trip, the combination of plastic and duct tape worked like a charm.

By the time we were set up in our site, the fog had rolled in again. We walked out on the beach, but it wasn't terribly inviting. To the north, we could see the North Head Lighthouse.


We didn't stay long, and ended up walking around the campground a little bit. The wet weather has produced a forest of large mushrooms.





Some are more photogenic than others.


We'd seen and heard Coast Guard helicopters out practicing maneuvers, and when we heard this one come so close to where we were, we headed back out to the beach to have a look. Cool!


It took us a while to figure out what they were doing, exactly. The pilot could hold this helicopter so steady despite the driving wind, you might think he was parked on some sort of unseen surface there in the sky. In the image below, you can see someone sitting in the doorway.


Below were some people staked out on this cliff side. We're told this is a popular place for them to practice because of the rough surf and the cliffs.


And we watched them turn this way and that and hover dangerously close to the ground (not to mention the lighthouse).


And then we watched them lowering and raising someone from the helicopter.


That's not scary...right?



Down below, they appeared to be rescuing a dummy.



After a while, they came very close to where we were standing and turned the helicopter to the right and the left.



If you think I took a lot of pictures of the helicopter, you would be right.


Occasionally, I put down the camera and waved my arm wildly. Eventually, the pilot waved back, which thrilled me to no end.


We stood watching them for about an hour before we got cold and headed back to the trailer.


While we were out there, I noticed this nifty lean-to someone had built with driftwood.


Here's how it looked from the other side. There was a large area toward the back where someone more intrepid than I could camp overnight if they wanted to.


Back at the trailer, Smitty and I enjoyed a cup of espresso, and then I said, "Hey...I think I'll just load these cups into the dishwasher!"


And wow...that was a gas.


Only, we had to laugh at ourselves when we wanted to run it through its first real wash cycle because we'd completely forgotten to get any dishwasher soap. Doh!

Here's a study in contrasts: Smitty relaxed on the couch.


Sadie looking surprised, as usual.


It rained almost all day our second day, but we drove to a parking area where we could see the Cape Disappointment Lighthouse. You might recall I showed some pictures from the other side of the river on our trip to Fort Stevens last month.


Here, I've zoomed in on it a little. It looks as if it could use a point job.


Later in the afternoon, I baked a Dutch Apple Pie for Two. We had our "First Friday" dessert on Wednesday. You won't tell anyone, will you?


We didn't mind the rain. I spent the day finishing up the first Appalachian Memories barn.


And I sewed the binding on The More the Marinarier. That makes a finish.


And I got quite a bit done on the 10th Snow Globes block.


This was my view for most of the day.


Or else this:


The sun came out the next day and Smitty got out for his one and only walk of the trip.


We were able to get out for a walk, and the lighthouse looked much prettier in the sunshine.


There's another building to its right.


I've written about this structure when we visited previously. It can be rented out for overnight stays, parties, weddings, etc.


Here's a zoomed in view of the lighthouse.


In the other direction, the Coast Guard was at it again, hovering perilously close to the water and practicing who knows what. In the image below, you can see the spray being produced by the helicopter blades.



There was another helicopter circling around too.


On our walk, I took pictures of a few little things. This was some sort of gelatinous blob of something. It was about as big as a dime.


Sea gull feather.


Here's a big tree mostly submerged in the sand.


This was the first appearance of our shadow selves on the trip.


On the way back the trailer, this little bird was taking advantage of the puddles for a nice bath.


Soon it was time to head for home again. You can see the "tall, scary bridge" off in the distance there. It isn't as tall and scary on the Washington side.


And there we are again...back in our home state of Oregon.


And that was our trip.



It's time to set a goal for November's OMG. You might remember this quilt top called Wind in the Whiskers, finished eons ago. I sandwiched it for quilting more than a year ago, and I've been dreading it ever since. It still needs all those fiddly appliques stitched down, and then a little bit of quilting in some of the larger background areas.


It's a large quilt, and too much to finish in a single month I'm afraid. For November, I'm committing to doing the sections I've outlined in pink in the image below.


If I get farther than that, all the better, but for my November goal...just the pinked-in section. I'll save the finish for the December party.

So that brings you and me up to date. Today I'll finish unpacking, and then do something in the sewing room. There's probably something on the housework calendar too, but I haven't taken the time to look yet. I missed you guys! The trip was a wonderful diversion, but it's always good to be back home again.

28 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Those types of bridges give me the heebie jeebies, too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very interesting photos of the helicopter. You have a dish washer in your camper? I have never heard of any that had one. nice. That park looks interesting but more foggy weather than I would like for camping. I hate raining days when camping. Love that lean too

piecefulwendy said...

When we were at Cape Disappointment, there was a big log on the beach that someone had fashioned into a teeter totter, which the kids thought was fun. Cape Disappoinment will always be one of my favorite memories on that trip. Someday I'd love to go back. No thanks to being lifted up into a helicopter like that (but I suppose if my life depended on it . . .). Love the kitty photos.

Jane said...

Your blog encompasses many of the things I love in life, from cats, to quilts, to beautiful photography, to cooking, etc. I particularly enjoy your photos; you have an excellent eye for composition and color! Today's post was an adventure for me with an opportunity to see the Columbia River, the bridge, the lighthouse, and the Coast Guard maneuvers! I've never been to the West coast and you brought it to life! Thank you for providing the bright spot of my day, every time you post!

Cathy Smith said...

Several years ago I was on an Alaska cruise. As we entered the channel for Ketchikan the Coast Guard accompanied us in. It was a small boat, with a 50 cal machine gun mounted on the bow and a Guardsman at the ready. I was out on the promenade deck and took a photo. Just as I did, the Coast Guardsman turned and waved at me! What fun!

Susan said...

Thanks so much for sharing your little getaway. You made me homesick for my fulltime on the road years. =) It may have been wet and cloudy and cool, but you still saw some wonderful things. I can't imagine 3 days is ever enough here! Good luck on your goal. That's a beautiful piece, and after my experience this morning, I can certainly envy anyone who can make something beautiful with FMQ on their quilts. =)

Julierose said...

Wonderful wander post! so enjoyed seeing your photos of cape disappointment Lighthouse and the coast guard practices. Here in SE CT we hear a lot of coast guard on Long island Sound--and a lot of my hubster's fellow musicians are Coast Guard. What a lovely getaway. Your kitties look like they love to travel with you...thanks for sharing...
I love your quilt for Nov-Dec--just beautiful...hugs, Julierose

works4me said...

Our honeymoon trip took in Cape Disappointment. I joked that it was anything but a disappointment. Thanks for bringing back some fond memories.

So great to see the Coast Guard manoeuvres.

Looks like a terrific trip for all 4 of you, despite some of the weather. Thanks for sharing everything.

DeeDee said...

I'm so glad you're back. I miss when you don't post every day! What a great trip. The pictures of the rough surf are breathtaking. Living on the east coast we don't get that kind of surf unless there's a hurricane. And we stay far from the beach when there's one of those blowing. Thanks for all the fantastic pictures.

QuiltShopGal said...

Sorry you had so much rain on your getaway trip to Cape Disappointment, but it still looks like an amazing trip. What an experience to watch the Coast Guard (training exercises?). And your photos are amazing - truly magazine/calendar quality. Wind in the Whiskers is a beautiful quilt and certainly deserving your attention to finish. I agree with you it is too much to try to tackle in a monthly goal, so I like how you tagged areas. I'm sure you are going to enjoy this stunning quilt, for many years to come. But, if by chance, you don't like it - I'd love it. LOL at my hint!

Kate said...

Looks like you and the kitties made the best of the wet weather. Good luck on your OMG. Oh and the Cardinal quilt turned out beautifully!

Denise :) said...

Okay, I'm just going to say it. That was waaaaay too short of a trip! LOL! The solution to the cat patio was ingenious. Isn't it fun how we are on the shady side of 50 and still get excited when a 'person of interest' waves back at us?!?! I loved your beach walk finds! Welcome home! :)

Patty said...

Looks like a fun quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

gpc said...

The Coast Guard Search and Rescue operations are amazing, there are no greater heroes and the work they do is unbelievably dangerous. How fascinating to be able to watch them train. I wonder if the lean-to was built by a team, too? For the "SARTECH II" level of search and rescue, our ground search members are required to built a temporary shelter and use it overnight. I have aged out (or flabbed out) on the ground work now that I am not as steady as I used to be, but it is all so interesting to me and makes me a little wistful. Fortunately, I am so far still able to maintain my abilities in the Pie and Stitch categories of life.

quiltzyx said...

While your trip was a bit gray, looks like you still had a good time & you got some fabulous photos. Good on Mike for his temporary solution of the plastic strips - like they have on some commercial refrigerators.
LOL - that last mushroom looks like a soggy muffin!
The Coast Guard helicopter shots are great. I think my favorites are the ones over the rough seas. More heroes at work.
Oh my, Smitty & his pink nose and Sadie so comfy, just makes my heart melt!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Lots of interesting things to look at and watch on your holiday. Cape Disappointment is a funny name for a camping spot. We hiked at Misery Bay Provincial Park this past summer, also a funny name for a park. Love all your pictures. Congrats on the finish. A rainy day is perfect for some stitching.

Nicole Painchaud said...

So fantastic your pictures. Really enjoyed the shots. Thank you for sharing.

Marei said...

That "guy" in the door...the one who gets lowered down (or jumps out into the ocean), that used to be Bill, but he wasn't picking up dummies. He was rescuing real, live people from the tops of mountains, sides of cliffs, ledges, etc.

KaliaContiki said...

Your timing is incredible! You’re the reason I decided to get back to working on my Wind in the Whiskers and I just hung it up in my office today! It’s definitely not for the faint of heart! Can’t wait to see your finished product. :)

Dar said...

I thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Washington. I have never been to either Oregon nor Washington state and would love to one day. The helicopter pictures were so interesting and you captured so many unique shots of the beach. I think the submerged tree would make a good quilt inspiration. Love traveling with you and the kitties. Thanks for sharing.

QuiltGranma said...

My cousin lives in Vancouver, WA, but have a cabin at Rockaway Beach, OR just north of Tillamook. They've said that if it is foggy inland, then it will be sunny at the beach! Love your pictures and outlook on life in general!

crazy quilter said...

I missed you too! You sure took advantage of the slow stitching time and made great progress on all fronts. I do find the Coast Guard pics and maneuvers facinating, that water looks so choppy I sure am glad I am not in the Coast Guard but do admire all those brave souls. Glad you are back!

Deb said...

Oh my that bridge, your photos are just stunning such a lovely area to visit. Your barn embroidery is excellent and the snow globe is coming along nicely. This was such a wonderful post

Brown Family said...

Very pretty mushrooms. All I get are plain white or brown! I am sure the helicopters were very interesting.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Your Wind in the Whiskers quilt is Wowza, wow wow! And, another Wow!
I'm impressed that your kitties like to travel with you. Other than our friends who kept their cat on their sailboat, I haven't heard much of cats traveling with their humans. I've been wondering if our Molly would enjoy car travel. If she did, we could be off and about.
I enjoyed all your photos. The helicopter above the choppy waters and the tree in the sand are among by favorites.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Lovely photos! The Coast Guard photos were fascinating. Camping in a lean-to - that would be very hard core! Your stitchery and quilt are looking wonderful. I love it so much that your kitties travel with you!

Thank you so much for linking up on Wandering Camera!

-Soma

Anne said...

What a great trip, that bridge looks really massive. It must have been really exciting watching the helicopter rescue practice. Your cats are adorable.
#wanderingcamera

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

That sounds like a brilliant trip. The bridge is amazing and the helicopter rescue practice must have been quite exciting to see in person. Your cats are adorable and I love that you take them holiday. They are very good to know to come back to your trailer.