12/26/22

Best of 2022

 


Today begins one of my favorite linky parties of the year. My thanks go to Cheryl Brickey of Meadow Mist Designs for hosting this party for the past eight years. Thanks, Cheryl!

It's been a good year, all-in-all. We had a plumbing catastrophe discovered at the beginning of April, and that threw a monkey wrench into most everything that came after. The repairs are nearly finished now, with just a few cosmetic items to finish up. Nevertheless, it was a year of frustration with delay after delay after delay and an unprecedented level of unreliability and deception. We're glad to have the whole thing nearly finished, but we won't rest easy until the last worker has finished and left the building. Honestly, the whole experience has made me a little paranoid of any future plumbing leaks.

But let's get to the good stuff, shall we? On a positive note, we had a wonderful 2-month journey that took us from Oregon to West Virginia and lots of places in between. In choosing these posts to re-share, I went through the list of comments on my dashboard and selected the ones that generated the most "conversation."

1. The Reveal: Getting to Know You: Early in the year it was time for the reveal of my art quilt for the prompt "feelings/emotions." Possibly the most emotional event of my life was the day my son was born. I rendered into fabric a photograph taken in the first moments of the life of my younger son, Matthew. Here is the quilt revealed in that post. It was my first attempt at a human face:


 2. We'll Be Coming Round the Mountain When We Come: In a travel-related post, we were returning home from a winter trip to the south. I shared pictures of the beautiful scenery we encountered along our way. 

3. Threading My Way: The art quilt reveals turned out to be among the most popular posts of the year. In another process post, I talked about a "new technique," which was the prompt for this quilt. I settled on thread painting, which was something I'd wanted to try for a long time. A friend graciously gave me permission to use a watercolor painting she'd done while on a mission in Peru, and I rendered her painting into fabric and thread. Here's a picture of the finished quilt, "Peruvian Sunflowers":


4. "Animal Kingdom" Reveal: Fox Trot. In yet another art quilt reveal, a different friend (I have talented friends) graciously gave me permission to use her original photograph. I was happy for the prompt because I'd wanted to make this quilt for a long time. I call this quilt "Fox Trot." Here is a picture of the finished quilt.


5. Delight and Disappointment: Finally, I visited the Swan Island Dahlia Festival with my daughter-in-law, Mae, in August. There, we saw the most beautiful dahlias. After doing some work squirrel-proofing our greenhouse, some space was created for planting dahlias in pots. Currently, I have four bulbs on order. They'll arrive sometime in the spring. I took dozens...maybe hundreds...of pictures of flowers at the dahlia festival. You can see some of my favorites at this post.  And to whet your appetite for flowers, here's just one of the pictures you'll see there.


And this gives me an opportunity to thank all my readers and followers for supporting another year of my incessant prattle. I'm hoping we can all meet up here again next year to talk about all the good things to come. Please stay healthy and let's make the coming year the best year ever.

22 comments:

Barbara said...

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I hope that the repairs to your home and plumbing wrap up as smoothly as possible and that you have a wonderful 2023. I can see why all of your top 5 posts generated a lot of discussion and comments! :)

MissPat said...

Barbara, your blog is one of my favorites. Your humor, your photos, your recipes, your projects are all entertaining and informative. I've seen parts of this country I'll never get to in person. It's looking forward to more of the adventures of Mike and Barbara and the ever helpful kitties.
Pat

Sara said...

I think one of the things I enjoy the most about following bloggers, is that feeling of community that develops. Keep writing the way you write, and photographing the things that catch your interest. Your blog brightens my day.

quiltingbydawn said...

Some amazing work with your art quilts! The details are fabulous and the thread work is awesome! Well done!

Christine said...

Good Times Hope 2023 contains more good memories, less disrupting ones..
X

Nancy said...

Thank you for blogging. I look forward to reading your blog and following along on your adventures and misadventures - I will never look at woolie caterpillars the same since I have discovered how dangerous they are.
Here’s hoping for a wonderful New Year of travels for you, mike and the kitties.

Kelly said...

I really enjoy your blog Barbara. I’m in Australia and love seeing your travels and your quilts and kitties. Your posts are always entertaining. I hope you have a great new year and a fabulous 2023.

Emma's Daughter said...

I love your blog; it’s the first one I read every day. I love your travels, your kitties, your cooking, and your quilts. Thank you so much for the time you spend blogging for the rest of us to enjoy. Happy new year! Becky

Dawn at First Light Designs said...

You lead such an interesting life, Barbara! I'm in awe of your Fox Trot quilt. Just beautiful! Have a wonderful 2023.

Jenny said...

I do love reading your blog, so many interesting things going on. But what about the cats? Surely they were nearly top of the comments with their interesting lives too?

Kirsty @ Bonjour Quilts said...

Ugh, plumbing. Such a pain when it's not working - water is no fun when it's not where it's supposed to be! Here's to a much more watertight year so you have more time and energy to spend quilting!

gpc said...

You were, as always, a very busy lady in 2022! Your art quilts are amazing, and you get SO much done every year! I hope 2023 will bring you, Mike and your family good health, continued energy, and many moments of joy.

Karen said...

I'm so happy I found your blog this year- I hope the contractors show up and finish soon!

Susan Smith said...

WOW!!!!!! Your art quilts are amazing. Thanks for sharing & hope 2023 is a more gentle year for you.

Cheryl said...

Great posts you highlighted! I hope the home repairs finish up soon. Thanks for linking up!

Karen's Korner said...

You have created some stunning artwork.

kc said...

I loooove seeing your work, in progress and finished, loooove reading what you call prattle, loooove every blooming thing and enjoy the recipe parades and canning escapades, enjoy traveling along with you, visiting various sites and parks, and reading the Quilt Shop Reviews, hearing the thoughts of your Resident Engineer, but, probably most of all, love seeing what the kitties are up to. Wishing you health, wealth and wisdom for 2023!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Such beautiful artsy projects this year! Best wishes for a Quilty New Year!

Terri in BC said...

As always, your quilts are stunning. As a proud owner of your Winter Wonderland quilt, I have enjoyed snuggling under it this season. Love your blog and your sense of humour, and hope to meet you someday. Happy New Year to you and your family!

Connie Kauffman said...

Thanks for sharing your great projects.

dq said...

You are such an artist - wow!!! I am so glad I found your blog in this linky party!