2/1/22

The Reveal: Getting to Know You

Oh my gosh...I thought this day would never come. I've been dying to show you this quilt ever since I finished it, way back before Thanksgiving. So, finally, here we go.

The prompt for the latest Endeavourers art quilt group was "Feelings/emotions." My ideas took me in a number of different directions. I thought of songs about feelings and emotions: “Lights Will Guide You Home” was a contender. Also, books that made me cry: Steinbeck's, “The Pearl” was high on my list. I considered people I love and people I'd lost and people I'd loved and lost. That last one brought to mind this photo taken by Mike in April of 1984, just moments after the birth of our third child, Matthew:


When I remembered the photo, I knew it was just right for this prompt. Rendering it into fabric was challenging and worrisome. Here is my finished quilt:


A year earlier, we'd lost our newborn baby girl, Holly, to a rare and random chromosome anomaly known as Trisomy 18. Here is the one and only picture we have of her:


Holly gave every indication prior to her birth that she was healthy. My pregnancy had progressed with no indication anything was amiss. Mike and I went to the hospital and gave birth as any parents would, waiting with excited anticipation for the announcement of her gender. We were stunned when we were told within five minutes of her birth that her condition was "incompatible with life," and thirty-six hours later, Holly died. We were devastated. 

Matthew was born 14 months later. I had an urgent need to hold a healthy baby in my arms, to see healthy pink color, and to hear a vigorous cry. When he was placed in my arms for the first time, I wept uncontrollably. (As I write these words, it still makes me tear up.)  Mike caught this tender meeting on film. Strangely, I've never been able to choose a single word that would adequately describe my feelings in that moment. If I were forced to choose a word, it would be “bittersweet.” It was probably a mixture of joy and relief, but also one of sadness. As confusing as that mix of emotions was, I can tell you this with certainty: Matthew’s safe arrival brought sunshine and joy to an otherwise dark time.

For this project, I used an app called "Vector Q" to create a line "drawing" of the image.


From there, I taped some transparencies together and pinned them to the image.


Then, I traced a pattern template and numbered the different values of color.


And then I began the tedious process of building a fabric portrait. Although I’ve done plenty of pet “pawtraits,” this was my first attempt at a human face.


It was a difficult and worrisome process. For the longest time, I couldn't see anything in what I was creating, and I despaired about whether it would turn out. Given the subject matter, it was important to me, and I wanted to do a good job on it. One afternoon, I left the sewing room feeling particularly bummed about how it was going and took a break for about an hour. When I returned, I could see the faces emerging when viewed from a distance, and I began to feel more optimistic.


When the fabric portion was finished it was time to "paint" the faces with thread, giving them texture, and adding in details. I followed the advice and instructions given in this book:


There's also a Facebook group of the same name, and I paid attention to what folks were doing there. 

I used three different colors of variegated threads to fill in the skin on the two faces, and a dark brown to add details.


Matthew's hair was done using a combination of fabric and thread detail.


This section of the chin was the most difficult to decide on a thread color. It isn't perfect, but it's the best I could do with what I had on hand.


The lips were challenging in that it was difficult to decide where to stitch and what color to use. Here, I used a rose colored thread.


For my own hair, I used a dark brown variegated thread, and I was happy with how this part turned out. It was a bad hair day. Pretty hard to mess this up.


When the faces were finished, I used a swirling meander to finish off the outer areas and the space between mother and baby.


This handprint fabric was in my stash, and it seemed like a good choice for the border. For that, I quilted a row of looping hearts.


Here is my finished quilt again. It ended up at 20 x 27 inches:


Following Holly's birth and death, my cousin sent me a piece of Austrian crystal with her condolences. We hung it on our Christmas tree for many years as a way to remember our missing daughter. It hangs now from this wooden crescent.


When I saw this crystal fabric in a quilt shop recently, I decided to use it as the quilt back.

February 11th will mark what would have been Holly's 39th birthday. After so many years, our family has long been at peace with the events described here. I hope you like my quilt. 

To see more interpretations of the prompt, please visit The Endeavourers blog, right here.

42 comments:

Barbara said...

There is nothing like a newborn baby to renew your spirit and to buttress your resolve to make the world a better place. ~ Virginia Kelley

Julierose said...

What an inspiring quilt --that will be a family memory quilt-- about the bittersweet life we all live.
I love how you rendered that photo--you captured the tenderness of that moment beautifully and the joyous feeling you must have had...your story definitely made me tear up, too.
Hugs for sharing Julierose

djquilting said...

Thank you for sharing this story and the precious quilt.

Mary C said...

Wonderful quilt! Thank you for sharing!

Vicki in MN said...

What a beautiful quilt to honor a beautiful moment. Thank you for sharing your story of Holly, hugs to you.

Emma's Daughter said...

Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness. I’ve followed you for many year and love your
sewing and cooking projects, your travelogues, your kitty stories. But this story of your baby Holly and baby Matthew is so terribly touching. What a beautiful quilt and beautiful story. Thank you. Hugs.

NancyA said...

What an incredibly moving quilt and story. It definitely portrays the theme. I have loved your pawtraits and this is so much more. It is truly amazing.

Quilter Kathy said...

That is spectacular! The details and the stitching that brings it to life is amazing! And the feeling this quilt captures and evokes in the viewer is very moving.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Barbara, your quilt is stunning! Thank you for sharing the emotional story behind it, and how you translated that photo into fabric. It turned really beautifully!

Robin said...

Wow, thank you for reminding us all what is really important Barbara. I love your quilt, it's perfect. I love that picture too, so sweet. Big love at you.

Bonny said...

Your quilt is beautiful and so full of heartfelt meaning!

piecefulwendy said...

You seriously knocked it out of the park on this theme, Barbara. Such an amazing quilt!

Christi said...

Beautiful!

Rebecca said...

Takes my breath away...
The Story and The Quilt.
Thank you

Darlene S said...

Truly a beautiful quilt. I am so sorry you and Mike lost Holly, especially at a time when parents should be able to enjoy there new bundle. I'm really not sure which would be worse to know there was an issue in advance, or find out after the birth. Either would be devastating and I'm truly sorry you two had such an experience. I know Holly will always be in your heart. Big virtual hug.

Susan said...

Beautiful quilt. Well done.

Marianne said...

Dear Barbara, thank you for sharing your heartfelt story. I love the quilt you made and how it came about. I also appreciate your sharing your process in such detail. Big cyber hugs to you!

beth said...

As soon as I stop crying I will tell you how beautiful your quilt is and the love behind it is wonderful. This quilt was made by Mike and you both. Thank you so much for sharing.

MissPat said...

Thank you for sharing your bittersweet story. I'm awestruck by your rendering of this emotional time in your family's life.
Pat

gpc said...

Just beautiful. Life is such a mix of joy and sadness and you have surely had your share. You do such amazing work.

Dorothy said...

Beautiful quilt
Beautiful story
Thank you for sharing. Many hugs

Quilting Babcia said...

Your heart and soul shine through in this beautiful quilt. A labor of love, for both babies really. I think every mother who has lost a child can relate to the emotions expressed here. My own daughter was born just a year after we lost a long-awaited second pregnancy, a little over 38 years ago.

Joan G said...

Thank you for sharing such a personal and heart wrenching part of your life and Mike’s. This is a truly beautiful, beautiful quilt with so much meaning. You have made many lovely quilts through the years, but this one is super special. What a treasure. Blessings to you and Mike and to your family.

Sara said...

Your quilt is beautiful and really displays the emotion you wanted. Thank you for sharing your story. I know the feeling of holding that rainbow baby and feeling the relief and the joy and the sadness all wrapped together.

Connie W. said...

Your quilt, your story, and your sharing touch my heart. Thank you so much for trusting this to all of us. This piece met the challenge theme beautifully.
Connie

Janarama said...

OMG! You certainly CAN do human portraits and this quilt is absolutely stunning, to say the least. Thank you for sharing such a personal part of yours and Mike's life. You have created a ton of awesome quilts in the past but, in my opinion, this is by far the best you have done to date.

Cathy said...

What a beautiful portrait of you and baby Matthew. The backstory lends context and poignancy to the image. It’s beautiful and will be a treasured heirloom. (The name Holly was always my first choice for a daughter, but with a last name like Flox at the time, we thought it sounded like a Christmas tree. So she’s a Megan).

Michelle said...

Barb, your quilt conveys such depth of emotion & you did a great job on all of the technical aspects that contribute to its ability to do just that. I’m so glad you have that one picture of Holly and her memory forever in your heart. Thank you for sharing your story and hers. We will remember her, too.

Joyce Carter said...

Barbara, your quilt is stunning and so realistic. You can see the feelings and the emotions as you hold your precious baby. This quilt will be a treasure. Thank you for sharing your story as well as Holly's.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for sharing your story along with your magnificent challenge quilt of you with Holly's little brother, Barbara!

Anonymous said...

Awesome quilt! This will be a family treasure forever. The crystal fabric is the perfect finishing touch on the back. Thank you for sharing the story and the pictures. Candy

Joni said...

Oh! My first impression when seeing your quilt was all over waves of goosies. While reading your story, I began crying - sobbing really. I know of your loss and feel the joy, sadness and relief in every stitch of your piece of art. You captured every emotion beautifully. Wow. Barbara, what a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your loving story.

QueenB said...

Very inspiring quilt and your memories behind it. What a wonderful way to remember and celebrate the joys and sadness which comes with life.

Meg said...

Amazing quilt, words can't express your beautiful post, brought tears to my eyes.

Marilyn said...

Such a lovely quilt. Thank you so much for sharing.

Denise :) said...

Barbara, I'm so deeply touched by your story and this quilt. I understand the desire. It's a beautiful, touching piece. Hugs. :)

Ruth L. said...

Barbara, you're a marvel. Not having any children of my own, I couldn't begin to imagine except that Mike's photo, your quilt, and your backstory are so very expressive. Such fortitude is aspirational. Your quilt is wonderful and I disagree with your bad-hair-day judgement. Hugs and kudos.

Shirley said...

The photo says it all, the story of Holly brought me to tears. You did a beautiful job on the quilt, I find faces the most difficult subjects to quilt, and when I see how you pulled it of I take my hat off. Thank you for sharing your story with the world.

bcarlf said...

I can' find the words to say how much this touched me. That is one of the tenderest photos I have ever seen, knowing what was before. Your quilt is amazing and must be one of your most prized pieces. Thank you so much for sharing with you readers and friends and enriching our lives in the process!

Quilter said...


Wow! what a beautiful quilt with so much meaning to it.
Wonderful job with so much meaning and love put into it.
Certainly, touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes.
Blessing to you all..
MaryLou

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I wish I could reach into the computer and give you a hug. I know it's been 39 years but it's still heart-wrenching. This quilt is a celebration though - a celebration of Matthew's birth. I'm sure it's something he will treasure in years to come. You did an amazing job of the faces, certainly not something I've ever had the courage to attempt.

Kate said...

A gorgeous finish and a wonderful celebration of new life and motherhood. Losing a child ranks up there, and is probably the worst thing that can happen in life. Being pregnant with Matthew had to be scary at times, how could you not wonder.