3/5/22

We'll Be Coming Round the Mountain When We Come

Good morning, my friends. It's our last morning on the road. The next time I write to you, I'll be firmly ensconced at my office desk at the Three Cats Ranch. We've been telling the kitties: today is the day! You can see they are chomping at the bit to get going.



It was only about an hour after we left Meridian yesterday that we crossed the border into Oregon. No more ins and outs for us this trip. We're here to stay this time around...until the next trip, of course, but that's a while off.


It's pretty country on this side of Oregon. We only get over here when we're traveling, and generally, we're going in the other direction. It looked quite a bit different traveling from east to west.


There was still a lot of snow in the mountains. The Blue Mountains have seen some bad weather, contributing to a 100-car pile-up in this same area a few weeks ago. And even though there was snow, the roads were clear and dry.


We saw a few barns along the way...most were hidden behind things. I'm often wishing I could capture a barn that simply will not come out from behind the trees.


Some of them are in beautiful settings.


And on we went...it was about 200 miles yesterday, and it will be about the same distance today.


And after thousands of miles of desert, it was good to be back among the trees.


We traveled alongside the Grand Ronde River for much of the day.


Eventually, we began seeing Ponderosa Pines. These grow in abundance in Bend, Oregon, as well. They seem to like the drier high desert climates.


Crossing over the summit of the Blue Mountains, there was a lot of snow. But that marked our highest mountain pass. Ordinarily, we'd go home through Bend, but we ended up driving around the mountains for this trip...thus, the title of this blog post.


We stopped off at a viewpoint to see the landscape on the west side of the mountains. Holey-moley...we could see a long, long way.

 
There was a plaque erected at the viewpoint. It always does my heart good knowing there are people who are willing to do this kind of work voluntarily.


When we were set up in the RV park, I spent some more time on my emergency stitching project. I'm just barely getting started.


I don't like how the words are a little hard to see. I'm going to stitch over them again with more floss to bring them out a little more. That should work, but I won't know for sure until I try.

Pendleton is built on a hillside, and we had beautiful view of the valley below. The colors were incredible in the setting sun, and that was one dramatic sky. We thought we might get rain, but none came.


Okay, so we expect to be home by early afternoon. I'm going to try to get the RV unpacked as quickly as possible, but I probably won't write again until that's done and I can get reorganized in the sewing room. You never know, though. I get words rattling around in my head, and I simply must send them out through my fingertips before my head explodes. And with all that new fabric, I wouldn't want to make a mess. So, I'll probably be back tomorrow, but I might take a day off. How's that for a definite maybe? And there's plenty to do back home. No doubt, the weeds will be there to greet us. I'm hoping to see some crocus coming up when we arrive. And I need to get back to my sewing. The next art quilt reveal is May 1st, and I haven't even settled on an idea yet. There is no prompt this time, which makes it hard to settle on something. Oh well...all in good time. 

Just now I'll be packing the laptop up for the last time. Like we tell the kitties when we shut the door to the RV: I'll see you on the other side.

19 comments:

Barbara said...

I have always liked coming home and sharing what has happened that day with my loved ones. I like comparing notes. I know other people do, too. I think there is a human instinct to tell stories, no matter who you are or where you live. ~ Sarah Kay

Darlene S said...

What a beautiful drive, as well as an amazing adventure. I loved hearing how your trip was going, what you were stitching, how the kitties were doing, as well as seeing insights on what you were seeing. All dazzling. But oh how good it is to arrive back home. Enjoy!

MissPat said...

Welcome home. I hope it is uneventful, with no surprises in store. Thanks for taking us along.
Pat

piecefulwendy said...

What a beautiful drive with the mountains and the pines! I've always thought living with a mountain view in wide open spaces like that would be amazing. You dove right into that stitching! I'm surprised they didn't have the hands done is something like a gray, so the blue lettering stood out more.

Sher S. said...

What do you do with the art quilts once they are finished and revealed?? Do you send them to someone or keep for your own pleasure?
I've enjoyed your travels and photos. You are a better traveler than I am.

Mary C said...

Thanks for sharing your trip!

Dorothy said...

Welcome home !!!! Thanks for the wonderful ride along. As usual, I learned new things

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've had a good trip. I enjoyed all your posts with all the information about the places you visited and especially all the beautiful photos. Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us.

Marianne said...

I have really enjoyed going along on this trip with you virtually. Your photos have been great! My mom lives in Colorado so I have visited quite a bit of CO along with a few other sites in the west. But living in the east all my life, I haven't seen as much as I'd like, especially the northwest. Your photos have made it all come alive for me. Thanks so much!

grammajudyb said...

What a great trip! But it will be good to be home, too! We really must get out to see more of Oregon!

Quilter Kathy said...

I like your new stitchery project... the doodles around the outside of the design are really fun!

Angei said...

Through your eyes and trips, I have gotten to see more of the US than I will ever see and for that I thank you.
I know you , your hubby and kitties are glad to be home after such a good trip. Enjoy your free time, spring is around the corner and time for gardening.

Karrin Hurd said...

It will be nice to finally get back home. Great stitching project!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Awesome views on your travels. Thanks for
sharing. Love your embroidery work, so
pretty. Have a great day!

CathieJ said...

I hope the final stretch of your trip is as beautiful as this portion has been. Your photos are amazing. I like your stitching. I would fill in the rest of that embroidery before deciding on adding to the words. The black may fade into the background when other colors are added.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such lovely photos . I think one of my favorites is the one with the barn. Your embroidery work looks fabulous. Have a wonderful week, Barbara.

Deb A said...

Beautiful photo's. Enjoy being home.

Rebel Horizen's Marketing said...

Welcome Home! Great adventure.

Jenny said...

Such beautiful scenery, looks like you had a wonderful trip. It's always nice to get home again though, isnt it.