12/25/22

Happy Holidays!

 


Merry Christmas morning, my friends! Although the day is young, the season is over for our small family. We've had our Christmas feast, and we're ready to get on with the New Year. 

As expected, there was no time for sewing yesterday. I spent all of my morning finishing off the two desserts I had planned. I needed to add a topping to the cheesecake and make some chocolate curls. I only attempted chocolate curls for the first time a few years ago. They're actually pretty easy to make. I followed this video from YouTube. In my kitchen, it takes the chocolate too long to set up at room temperature. I put mine in the refrigerator for just about three minutes to get it to the right "hardness." And here's my finished cheesecake. This is a Bailey's Chocolate Chip Cheesecake, but I've taken to calling it an "Irish Cream Chocolate Chip Cheesecake." We're not using expensive Bailey's Irish Cream in baked goods. I just use something with a lower price tag.


But I couldn't stop at just one dessert. Oh no. I needed to try something new. It was a good opportunity to try this new recipe I saw in the NYTimes recently. This is an Apple Skillet Cake with Salted Caramel Frosting. (I'm not sure if you can open that link without a subscription to the NYTimes. If you can't open it, email me, and I'll be happy to send it to you.) For this, the apples were first cooked and then cooled. Then, I mixed them into the cake batter and baked it. When the skillet cake came from the oven, it looked like this.


When it cooled, I made a caramel frosting by melting some soft caramel candies and then adding them to a frosting batter. When it was frosted it looked like this:


And let me just tell you...that frosting was to die for. We added finishing salt to each piece when we ate it. So yummy. I'll definitely make it again. Next time, I'd like to try making a "for two" version. Of course, I will let you know when I get around to that.

It was nearing lunch time when my baking was finished. I still wanted to get in a workout in the Chamber of Horrors. We've taken to calling the Bowflex "The Rack." So there was time to work out, and then a shower, and then it was time to head over to Erik and Mae's house. Mae makes the most beautiful charcuterie boards. This one was about half eaten by the time I thought to take a picture of it.


Around dinner time, their kitty Clementine showed up wondering where her dinner was. She's looking pretty disgusted with us for not thinking of her needs first. She's quite a talker too!


Clementine's sister cat, Cricket, showed up a little later. My picture of her was blurry, but here's a picture I took of her at a different gathering. She has the most interesting markings.


Eventually, it was time to eat. We had some delicious roasted vegetables, Burgundy mushrooms, a salad made with (amazingly!) lettuce from their garden. Erik did a superb job roasting the prime rib. It had a rub of around six different herbs. It was all so tasty. 

After some good wine, good conversation, and lots of laughter, we headed for home. The roads were a little slushy, but not dangerous when one traveled at a sensible speed. Fortunately, most everyone we encountered was driving as if their life depended on it...which it did.

Today we'll pull things back to normal. I'm ready for the Christmas quilts to be put away to make way for the winter quilts. With no tree in the house, we can set things back to normal pretty quickly. And then I'll get back to my sewing. It is a holiday, after all.

With that, my friends, I'm signing off. Have a wonderful holiday in whatever way you choose to celebrate. Tomorrow, I'll be joining the party at Meadow Mist Designs for the "Best of 2022" party. I hope I'll see you there.


9 comments:

Barbara said...

Eating a huge home cooked Christmas dinner was his personal favorite. Evan would look around after each Christmas Day was done. There were empty dishes, and torn up wrapping paper on the ground. Monty was passed out on the couch stuffed with food. Evan would close his eyes and hear the day. He could feel the memories that were just made. ~ David Rangel

Mary C said...

Looks like a good time was had by all!
Clementine has interesting colors.

Cathy Smith said...

Merry Christmas to all of the Stanbro clan - both two and four legged!

You will appreciate the gift I gave myself. My veterinarian is retiring and closing her practice. There are three clinic cats who live there full time. Much to the dismay of my FLuff (18 1/2 years old) I have adopted one of them. Billy is not cat aggressive and could care less about her. FLuff lived with other cats her entire life until Mrs. Peabody crossed the bridge three years ago. You'd think she'd never seen another cat before! I suspect that within a week she won't be blowing a gasket everytime she lays eyes on Bill.

Stay safe, stay worm and have a wonderful holiday week!

JoannU said...

Barbara, your Christmas Eve feast looks wonderful, and your Irish cream cheesecake very decadent. You mentioned not using the Bailey's, as it is pricey. My hubby decided to try his hand at making his own Irish cream this year, and it was great! So, if you're ever looking for a new challenge...

Jenny said...

Mmm that looks a simply wonderful Christmas spread! Merry Christmas from New Zealand.



Magpie's Mumblings said...

Looks like you had a perfect celebration!

Lee said...

Lovely celebration! Happy Holidays!

piecefulwendy said...

Looks like a fun time was had by all, and the food looks delicious. Happy holidays!

SJSM said...

What a wonderful day you had. Glad you could celebrate. Hope Mathew was enjoying his Christmas wherever life landed for him.