1/18/19

Sew Many Blocks

There was plenty of time for sewing yesterday. It's the one good thing about rainy weather...huddling in my sewing room and staying warm and dry. Yesterday, I made lots of blocks. It was time to top-stitch the Garden Sunshine blocks and render my final verdict on the new fusible product, Soft Fuse. In yesterday's post, I wondered if it would allow more fraying from the fabric. It's hard to say whether this would have been any better with Heat 'n Bond, but I think it might have. It was probably as much to do with the fabric as it was the fusible, but there was a little fraying on the brown I used for the roof of the birdhouse.


It was easy enough to clean it up with my applique scissors, and I might decide to apply a little fray check there as well.


But I believe the applique is significantly softer than with Heat 'n Bond, and that's worth a lot. I'd make the switch in the future. For now, I'm just barely into a 75-yard roll of Heat 'n Bond, and so I'll want to use that up before starting with a different product. It's good enough to know I have an alternative. If there's a quilt I want to make that would be improved with the new product, I'll use it.

Here's the first block.


And here's the second.


Some folks are doing these blocks in hand embroidery. It was tempting, but I have enough embroidery projects to keep me busy until the day I die. I'll stick with applique (did you see that pun there?) for this project. Oh yes, and the birdhouse block has two yo-yo's in place of the buttons I have laid out there. I needed a different size yo-yo maker. That will come today, and I'll finish it off.


When that was finished, I went outside to fill the bird feeders. Maybe the blocks reminded me. While I was out, I noticed the heather is blooming. It's the one blooming thing in the garden this time of year.


After that, I had some lunch and then got to work on the Mulligan Stew quilt. Every time I work on this quilt, I tell you that the patterns can be found in this book.


You can read more about it at this old blog post. There are several projects in the book, and I'm making the Mulligan Stew quilt because it uses all the blocks. When it's finished, it will look something like this:


Each time I work on it, I do another five of the 60 blocks. Right now, I'm on blocks 50-55, and so I'm closing in on a finish for this...my oldest UFO. The first one...



Second...



Moving on to the third...



I liked the story associated with this one.


The pieces were cut for the fourth block when I decided to take a break.


And I was getting tired of sewing by that time, so I suppose you might say that as I'm writing this, I'm still on a break. I'll get the last two finished up today.

Also nearing a finish is the Let's RV cross stitch. All that's left is one word in the lower left and the wheel for the trailer.


This morning, I'm walking with Sue. Possibly when I get home I'll get some stitching done on this. Once I get started, I'll probably stitch it through to the bitter end.

It's going to be a wet morning for our walk. I'm looking forward to seeing my friend, but I'm not really looking forward to the crappy weather.

8 comments:

Suze said...

Barbara, You made me laugh and that's a great thing. I did miss your pun - "I'll stick with applique." I love puns. I love the button you have laid out for the birdie door in the bird home. It's always something new we need (not want - like a child) for a project. I had to laugh when you said the heather is "one blooming thing in the garden this time of the year." A blooming thing wasn't necessarily a good thing in our house. That could refer to an objectionable thing depending on the speaker's tone of voice. I have the quilt book: Hobo Quilts - somewhere. I love the story attached to the Talk, Religion, Get Food block. I have never made any blocks from the book and maybe I need to think about that book. It looks like it would be a pleasure. You are on your way to a great finish on your cross stitch and I can't seem to get started. Have a fun day.

Quilting Babcia said...

It's always good when the accompanying book provides a bit of humor as you're making the quilt blocks. Wet weather might be better than what we're about to get beginning tomorrow morning. Forecasters are calling for anywhere between 6 and 18 or more inches of snow, high winds, and a drastic drop in temps. If the power stays on, I'll just quilt until summer arrives.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Love the post--giggle giggle!!!
and I love that bird and bird house blocks--
I may have to make that one after all--
but i will be doing actual applique for mine--
(no machine to do the other kind!!)
and as I am relearning how to do hand piecing--
I could do that for the main block parts--think these 2 blocks would make a cute table runner or wall hanging for spring!!
and I am in the north zone--for the 12-18" of snow and bitter bitter cold on Monday--high of 4 degree's--so don't think I will be doing any walking outside!!
luv, di

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love to see your blooming things as it makes me anticipate ours. We are in the 'high' snowfall range of 18" - 32" with the bitter cold and winds. We are prepared and ready for a dig out. No plans to go anywhere so there will be lots of stitch time! Let me know when you are done with that book and if you list it for sale.

SJSM said...

Your birds and birdhouse came out well. I like the stories behind Mulligan stew. It was another difficult time in our history that needs to be remembered. Our daily lives in the last few decades have been the most opulent for the common man ever. It is a good reminder it hasn’t always been so. Next week is our annual sewing retreat. After this weekends showers it should be dry the next 7 days. That is good as we will walk between buildings plus unloading/loading our belongings in rain is no fun.

Enjoy your soggy walk with Sue.

piecefulwendy said...

I hope you were able to get your walk in, despite the wet weather. Time with friends is so good. I spent the whole day sewing yesterday as well, with the exception of a nap with my cat. I'm currently typing this while he is snuggled right against my neck. Makes for tricky typing! Your projects are coming along nicely.

Brown Family said...

Mulligan Stew is getting very close to being done! THE Garden Sunshine blocks at interesting. I wish I had more get up and go to sew more!

quiltzyx said...

I do get annoyed when the fabric frays at the very edge like that. ERgh!

Funny story with the latest hobo block! Plain, dry bread - yum!

Hope your walk wasn't TOO soggy.