1/19/19

Slow Afternoon

Sue and I managed our walk with no rain yesterday. The weather report showed only a slight chance of rain until 11:00 a.m. when the chance rose to 70%. We were finished around 10:45. I stopped off at a grocery store on my way home. When I got back in the car at 11:09, the rain started coming down. Pretty amazing how accurate weather reports are these days. The sky was fairly dramatic as I drove to where we park. This picture was taken from the top of our hill.


Here are some things we saw along the way. As I mentioned in a previous post, there's quite a bit of work being done along this side of the trail. There have been some new office buildings and apartments built here, and so the trail has been improved from what it once was. There's also been the addition of this dog park...


To the right of that image is this bike rack.


Along the trail, we spotted this blue heron. He was suspicious of us.


Possibly if he turned his back, we'd go away.


When that didn't work, he decided to walk onto greener wet pastures. When we returned a few minutes later, he was gone.


All the squirrels are fat right now. Sue wondered if they might be pregnant.


We've known there is a beaver dam along this section of the trail. Yesterday, Sue spotted it with her sharp eyes. This is one of two beaver dams we know of.


Here's some of the resulting flooding. We generally turn around at this point because the flooding is worse down the way. The ducks don't mind. They're after some of our  Oregon slugs....delicious, or so I'm told. I've never actually tried them myself.


When I got home, I had lots of company while I iced my knee.


The kitties thought it was a good time for a nap, and so what could I do, but tip back in my recliner and join them.


And that made it a very short sewing day. I got just this far with the next Mulligan Stew block. I'll get them finished today. Also, my yo-yo maker arrived late in the day yesterday, and so I'll make the two yo-yos for the Garden Sunshine block.


Instead of sewing, I decided to make a test recipe from America's Test Kitchens. I used to do recipe testing for them, and then gave it up a long time ago. Now I'm back to it. They sent me a recipe for "braised eggplant," and that sounded positively ghastly. Then a few minutes later, they sent me a recipe for "Apple Crunch." Well, count me in on that. Only, the recipe was poorly written. That, combined with a tired and distracted brain, and I won't even go into all the mistakes I made while making this. I had to start over with the topping. Even the second time around, I effed it up, and then I was kind of stuck. Throw it out or bake it up the way I had it. So...what the heck? I baked it up and it actually turned out okay. It's far from the "apple crunch" it was supposed to be. Mine turned into something more akin to apple cobbler.


A couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream hide a multitude of sins.


So, I still want to try this again, and I doubt I can make any more mistakes with it. I'll have to get some more apples though.

Today is going to be NBS. I'm looking forward to that. I want to finish up the Mulligan Stew blocks. If I can, I'll finish up the Let's RV stitchery. And if I get that far, maybe I'll turn that into some kind of little wall hanging...we'll see. There is still one more small quilt I'd like to get quilted before the end of the month, and so that's probably next on the list. All of my monthlies are done, and so I have the rest of the month to play.

15 comments:

gpc said...

Nice. It is 20 degrees here today so we are unlikely to see much Nature, aside from blowing snow. I also do the test recipes, although not as often as I used to. My last offer was for a complicated spring roll. I wish it had been for apple crunch because, even done wrong, it looks delicious.

QuiltShopGal said...

Wow did your weather forecast call the arrival of rain correctly. Glad you were able to get in a walk, before hand. Sounds like you had a wonderful day. While I got in a short walk (only 1 of 2) yesterday, my day was sadly spent trying to resolve computer problems (printer driver problem). But, I'm now ok and finally able to print quilt instructions for my project. LOL!

Cathy said...

Yep, pregnant squirrels abound. I hear they give birth in February. My kitties rarely use their cat tree anymore since we moved it into the guest bedroom. They’d rather sleep in laps or other places nearer their servants, apparently. And currently Darla is snoring over on the couch. I make baked apples regularly in the winter. After baking 4-5 apples-worth of chunks for 10 minutes, I stir then add a topping and bake for another half hour. The topping is a handful each of brown sugar, flour and oatmeal, with1/4 cube butter cut in and cinnamon to taste. Yummy and easy - and we usually double it so it lasts more than one day!

Quilting Babcia said...

Apple Crisp is on the to-do list today also. Trying out a topping mix I was gifted at Christmas. Your heron photos are super, they don't usually stick around long enough for us to photograph them when they're out back fishing in the creek.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I love apple crisp and apple pie and apple----
a day or so ago I baked some chicken tenders and they came out kinda tough--seem to be how ever I fix chicken these day it comes out tough???
so last night I cut it fine and added some water and bar-b-que sauce to it and let it simmer on the stove for 20 minutes while I made some organic rice and heated up some black beans-- and it worked--chicken is nice and tender now--was a good meal and have leftovers for another meal--
now I do have question--the canned black beans were organic--and I only heated them up--but they were a bit hard--not bad--but I like my beans softer--so do I just need to cook them longer when heating them--or was it the brand maybe????
luv, di

Sally Trude said...

Oh dear. Molly has cat tree envy. She has one that she can play on and use to get on top of the bookcases...but she doesn't have a scouting/napping tree...

SJSM said...

Nice walk you and Sue had. Our day was glorious here. We had sunshine with no wind and about low to mid sixties for a high. What a change from last week with windstorms, heavy rain, flooding and downed trees. Unfortunately I had to be places last week so could not hunker down and sew. Your cat tree appears to be in great shape. Ours has wounds and some bare spots from our kitties scratching.

piecefulwendy said...

I was on the America's Test Kitchen list for awhile too, but I dropped off. I never seemed to be able to get the recipes made in the timeframe they asked for; something was always going on that conflicted with my being able to spend time on the recipe. Your apple crisp looks tasty to me. It's -7 here this morning, with a healthy dusting of snow (only a couple of inches, but still). I have a cold, and my cat is made at me for making him quit drinking out of the toilet. I think today will be a day spent at the sewing machine, to nurse all my miseries. Pregnant squirrels, oh dear, I suppose it is that time of year!

quiltzyx said...

That is a very cool, dramatic photo! Even a little scary. ;)

What a beautiful Blue Heron! There seem to be a goodly sized flock of white Herons living with the horses at Cal Poly Pomona right now. Too bad I'm not tall enough to get a good shot without the chain link fence in the way!
Glad you & Sue were finished with your walk before the rain. About 2 weeks ago I started taking Collagen powder and I am beginning to see some difference in my knees especially. I've been mixing mine into a hot drink in the morning, but I think you can even mix it into your food - doesn't seem to have much of any flavor itself. (Just don't smell the powder!) Time will tell, but I've been able to go the whole week without Ibuprofen this week! :) My friend Kim said that her PT recommended it to her, then I found out the big boss & our GM also are taking it too.

QuiltGranma said...

Growing up we only had cats or dogs. The neighbor had ducks. They (the ducks) would come over and gobble up our slugs, then rush home with their beaks glued closed because we did not have a pan of water for them to wash the slug glue away. OOPS! Ah, memories that are over 50 years old!

Brown Family said...

You have a wonderful place to walk! I hope the Apple Crunch came out better the next time!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Your photos are beautiful. I enjoyed your walk! and your apple bake looks delicious :)

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Wonderful photos! The Blue Heron looks so regal.
Your kitties are sweet and make fine nap companions.
And the apple crisp looks delicious!

Angie said...

"Dramatic" for the first photo doesn't begin to describe it - brooding, ominous, portentous!!! Our cats often inspire us to take naps - such an inspiration they are. I agree with you that ice cream can cover a multitude of sins, or just do it all by itself!

betty-NZ said...

It's amazing how accurate they can be nowdays! Love your critters a lot.