1/17/19

Sunshine on a Rainy Day

There's been a change in the weather. After the cold and sunshine of last week, we're back into the gray and gloomy. Thanks to my little cat Smitty, I was up bright and early yesterday morning to catch this glimpse of Mt. St. Helens. It took on a pink and ghostly hue.


Not as much was accomplished as I'd hoped yesterday. Thanks to my early morning, I was dragging around the house until after lunch when I gave up and took a nap. Still, I finished off the third of the Tiny Tuesday blocks. This one was designed by our friends over at Objects of Design. Great tutorial from Sally. Of course, she has cats to help her with this stuff. I thought I was finished when I had it this far.


And then I remembered it's supposed to have a straight setting.


Also, I made the first two blocks for the Garden Sunshine BOM. You can find a link to this free BOM there in my right sidebar. First, I made the backgrounds. This took far longer than it should have because I was trying to cut the pinks from a too-small scrap of fabric. No matter how many times I cut it, it was still too small. Some folks learn this lesson earlier than I did. With a large enough piece of fabric, it was a whole lot easier.


Next, I needed to add the applique. This is the first new applique project I've started since purchasing a new fusing medium. A woman came into a quilt shop I was visiting with an applique project that was so nice and soft...without the stiffness I get from Heat 'n Bond. I decided to give it a try, but I didn't want to switch fusibles in the middle of a project.


It looks and feels a lot like Wonder Under. I've rejected Wonder Under because I find it too difficult to remove the paper from the back. And, yes, I know to use a pin, but I still don't like the way the glue comes off with the paper. So let's just see how Soft Fuse works, shall we? It was easy enough to remove the paper. I like that it's somewhat tacky, and so the pieces clung to the fabric as I manipulated them into place.


I won't know for sure how I like it until I top-stitch down the pieces today. When I felt it last night, I can't say it felt any more flexible than Heat 'n Bond, but I didn't want to really squeeze it in my hands too much until the pieces were secured with top-stitching. Also, I want to see how well the fabric edges hold up to all that stitching. Some fusibles allow the edges of the fabric to fray.


So I'm not ready to give my complete opinion on this new product, but you can bet I'll let you know by tomorrow whether I think it's an improvement over Heat 'n Bond.

The kitties were very entertaining last night. Smitty was on a roll telling Sadie jokes.

Hey, Sadie...Why don't cats play poker in the jungle?


I don't know, Smitty, why?


There are too many cheetahs.

Oh, Smitty, you're killing me! What a card! What a kidder! What a catmedian! Stop kitten around!


That's how it is around here...just one bad cat joke after another.

Today I'm hoping to get the top-stitching finished on the Garden Sunshine blocks, and then I'll move along to the Mulligan Stew blocks. Also, I suppose I should try to fit in the housework that got usurped by my nap yesterday. When I woke up, it was well past time for housework. What could I do but spend the rest of the afternoon in the sewing room? I'm sure you understand the dilemma.

8 comments:

gpc said...

Smitty clearly isn't the only one in your household who is on a roll today . . . but then again, I'm laughing.

Sarah said...

As best I can tell there is about a 15 minute window each morning and evening for housework - once you are past those time slots it's definitely best to head straight to the quilt room!! LOL!! Looking forward to hearing your final vote on the new fusible...it's always nice to hear someone else's opinion on a "new" product.

djquilting said...

That Smitty is so funny. This is my hubby's kind of joke so he got a good chuckle today. I like the idea of having a set time to do housework because I can always be behind schedule and not get around to it.

Julierose said...

Just stunning view of Mt St Helen's-- gorgeous ;)))
We used to have a lovely view of a lovely mountain ridge over Rocky Neck State Park in the distance; but the trees below us have grown up and blocked it..(waaah)

I've never used soft n' fuse either--I am going to be doing some fusing this year for machine applique so will be very interested in how it works for you..

Hugs Julierose

piecefulwendy said...

Eh, who needs to do housework anyway? The dust always comes back, the dishes continue to get dirty. What's the point? I'd rather sew. Curious to see what you think of Soft Fuse. I have some and am not all that enamored with it. Might be because I'm so used to Steam A Seam Lite (although that can be tacky and difficult to get a needle through when hand stitching). Smitty is hilarious.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What a wonderful dawn photo, just beautiful. I agree, the housework will always be there, so sew while you can, LOL!!

Brown Family said...

Smitty, you crack me up! But we do love your jokes!

quiltzyx said...

Nice view to wake up to. :)

Cute cat block. I am still trying to decide what kind of block I want to do for our black, white & a dash of color challenge. I really need to decide!

Oh Smitty, you are such a card!