11/11/12

Sunday Sewing and Stash Report



Today I made the first blocks for the new quilt I've started for my November NewFO project.  But before I show it, I want to address a question some of you have asked:  What is a NewFO?  (Ahem.)  A NewFO is my tongue in cheek response (because I think anything worth doing is worth doing tongue-in-cheek style) to the many UFO challenges that go on in Blog Land.  Now, don't get me wrong...there's nothing wrong with folks challenging themselves to finish up their UFO's.  And if you don't know what a UFO is, it's an Unfinished Fabric Object.

But here's the thing.  I have only one real UFO.  All of my projects are WIP's (Works in Progress), and despite having at least a dozen projects going at any given time, I finish everything I start...save for this one UFO that shall remain in the far reaches of my closet, for now.  With that in mind, I was feeling pret-tee left out this time last year when several UFO challenges started up and I had no UFO's with which to join in.

So I decided to start a NewFO Challenge.  So to answer your original question (you were wondering if I'd ever get around to it, weren't you?), a NewFO is a New Fabric Object.  In other words, a new project.  And the NewFO Challenge challenges you to start at least one new project each month.  And the NewFO Challenge is continuing next year by popular demand.  You can read about the 2012 challenge here.  And you can read about the 2013 challenge here.  The 2013 challenge is pretty much the same as the 2012 challenge, except there will be different prizes each month, and there is a different button.


Like it?  Grab the code from my right sidebar and slap it on your own blog.  And join us!  There are still two linky parties left in 2012, and there will be a linky party each month in 2013.  It's great fun, and what the heck?  You've got fabric, right?  You've got patterns, right?  You've got a to-do list as long as your arm, right?  So live a little!  Join in each month!  Who says you can't start as many new projects as you want?  And who says you can't take a year to finish them if you want?  Or two years?  My pastime.  My rules.  Your pastime.  Your rules.  Words to live by, I say.  No quilt police, and no project police either.

So with that out of the way, I'll show you what I started for November.  This pattern is from a book called Wonderfully Whimsical Quilts by Carol Burniston.


This project has been on my to-do list almost as long as I've been quilting.  And I'll just say that is one of the best things about committing to the NewFO Challenge.  The projects have moved from my to-do list to my list of WIP's, and it's high time!  I cut the fabrics the other day, and today I made the first two blocks.

Here's what the whole quilt looks like:


I like to break my projects into small increments and turn them all into BOM's.  That's my personal secret to keeping all my projects moving forward to completion.  When I work on them just a short time each month, I rarely get tired of them, and each project continues to feel fresh and new every time I work on it.  For this one, there are two blocks: the flamingo and the palm tree, and there are ten of each.  I've decided to make one of each block each month until they are finished.  With that plan, I'll have the whole top completed in 10-11 months.  So here are the first two blocks that I made today:



Cute, huh?  I have a nice pink candy stripe fabric for the outer border.  I forget what the pattern is called, but I've decided to call this project "Yard Art".

Also, a few of you asked for a tutorial for the little cloth kitty I made recently to go with my Turkey in the Straw doll quilt.


I'm afraid I can't give you a tutorial because the pattern came from a book, and therefore it is copyright protected.  But I'll tell you where you can find it.  The pattern came from Janet Kime's book Christmas Cats and Dogs.


It's a great book with the sweetest projects for cat and dog lovers alike.  There are used copies available at the link I've given you for as little as $3.03, which seems a small price to pay for so many great patterns.  No doubt you'll find other patterns you like in addition to the kitty doll.

So with all of that taken care of, here is my stash report:

Fabric Used:  4 1/4 yards
Fabric Used in 2012: 126 1/2 yards

Fabric Purchased: Nada
Total Fabric Purchased in 2012:  136 3/4 yards

Net Stashed in 2012:  10 1/4 yards


This week I'm hoping to sew together at least two quilt tops, which means I'll be making two quilt backs.  Hopefully, I can knock off quite a bit of that remaining yardage and end the year in the minus column.

14 comments:

Vickie said...

Thanks for offering the NewFO Challenge for 2013. It really helps me to see what I have accomplished in the past month and helps me to blog more timely. You're the best!

Teresa in Music City said...

My favorite part of the NewFO Challenge is that I have "permission" to start something new and fresh every month! And like you said, some of the projects I have started this year would still be dreams if it weren't for that "permission" :*) I've even finished a few!!!

Denise :) said...

I'm really glad you're doing the NewFO in 2013, too! I adore trying new things ... and sometimes I don't want to do more than try a technique. It's a brilliant idea!! :)

Lynette said...

Oh! I love the flamingo project! :D And I'm so thrilled, because today I pulled fabrics out of my stash for a NewFO!!!!! I haven't been able to get one going for two months, so I'm tickled pink. One piece of novelty Christmas fabric just screamed at me that it needed to go to my aunt, so I worked up a plan to use it. Can't wait. This'll be fun and fast, too!

sew.darn.quilt said...

Love the flamingo, Barb.
Nice to see your Newfo 2013 shall live on! :)

Swedish Scrapper said...

I like the thought behind your Newfo's, and the non-quilt/prject police stipulation! I also admired and adore the cat patchy dolly you made-- thanks for pointing out where the pattern is to be found.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Good, I love seeing what others are making. I love the kitty doll too!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lots of info today - love the chatty MOnday! I love to start things - most are also finished, which I love, too! Look forward to the NewFO 2013 - whoot!

Snoodles said...

LOL Me loves making my own rules! NEWFOs are just my style! Giggle - I'm glad that you explained it again, cos I had some of my peeps ask about it. Thanks for the heads up on where to find the pattern!

Lyndsey said...

I love NewFO as I love starting new things and having lots to do. It means you can choose what you want to do to match your frame of mind. I'm really pleased it is carrying on next year and already have the button on my blog.

I love the new quilt you have started. the flamingo is great and that fabric is cute. I like doing applique as I find it relaxing. The info on the pattern for the little kitty is great as I need to make some little projects like this for Christmas.

Diane Wild said...

Goody. More FOs. But, I'm getting so far behind. And life is getting in the way a bit. To top it off, it's snowing today and I have special company coming. Hope they don't cancel on me. Sigh! Love the embroidery projects. I think I'll start one for Nov.

Andee said...

It is a great idea! I too finish things in a timely fashion and had to count my wips to get in on the UFO challenge last year. So nice to know I am not alone!

Kate said...

I'm looking forward to the NewFO challenge. I learned my lesson this year, it's hard to have a finish if you haven't started a lot of projects.

Love your new project. The background for your flamingos is very fun.

Unknown said...

I just got my copy of Christmas Cats and Dogs today. Thanks for telling us about the book. Can't wait to open it up and have some fun.