1/12/24

WIPs Away

Good morning, my friends. It's been raining, and our little dusting of snow has melted away. We're expecting quite a bit of snow this weekend, with the possibility of freezing rain on Tuesday. And if you've been paying attention, then you know that our carpet installation is scheduled for that day. I have a sneaking suspicion that it isn't going to get done as scheduled. Oh well...as usual, the best laid plans...No worries. We're continuing on with our preparation anyway. This morning I'm writing from my temporary office at our dining room table. The dining room table has so many functions beyond serving up dinner. Later today, it will become my quilting table. I'm going to spread out the French Roses quilt and get to work tying it.

Backing up to yesterday, I spent some time slow-stitching the Girls' Getaway piece, and then I got in a Bow-flex workout. Then, I emptied out my desk and helped Mike disassemble the desk and the quilting machine. (Sad face.) Fortunately, I won't be doing any more quilting for a bit, but I will fall behind on the dot-to-dot challenge. I'm hoping it'll all be put back in order in time for the following week's video.

As for sewing, Sadie was my helper cat yesterday.


She snoopervised while Mike and I hung the Project Quilting quilt to the wall above the sewing room closet. (Cats are interested in all things bird.)


And then I went to work making two pieced blocks for the Girls' Getaway quilt. There will be 15 pieced blocks in all. I started with the first of two Churn Dash blocks.


There will be one more, but I'll need to do the embroidered center before I can make it. This is the picture of it from the pattern cover.


Then I made an "Hourglass" block. This one will be on the left side of the quilt, and so it has a sashing strip added to the left side. 


There will be two of those as well. I'll make the second one next time around.

Then, I was ready to make two more blocks for the Shop Hop 3.0 quilt. The first was from The Christmas Goose in Las Vegas, Nevada. (I've linked to my post about the shop back there.) I'd read about this shop from the RV Quilters group on Facebook, and we visited while we were staying in Boulder City. In Las Vegas, the playing cards fabric was an easy choice.


The next one was from Mad Hatter Quilt Shoppe in Winnemucca, Nevada. We were on our way home when we stopped in Winnemucca. This fabric reminded me of the ghost towns we'd visited on that trip.


Here are the 12 blocks I have for this quilt so far. There will be 20 when it's finished.


Smitty would like to remind you that he has been to all of these places, and he's sampled the grass in most of them.


And that brought me to the end of my list of WIPS. In a perfect world, I'd be moving on to the "Quilter's Choice" section of my whiteboard today. Instead, I'm going back to the top of the list. The Birdie Bungalows will serve as my choice this time around. At the top of the list is the French Roses quilt. It's next up to be finished. I'll set it up at the dining room table, and I'll be able to gaze out the window and be horrified if the coming weather forecast is accurate.

As I said, we'll continue on preparing for the carpet installation, although I'm fairly certain it will not happen on Tuesday as planned. Never say never, though. We'll be ready either way. Clearing out drawers and clearing off surfaces will be a daily task for at least a couple more days, and then we'll be in wait-and-see mode. For all the bad weather we're expecting, it's sounding like you folks back east will get hit even harder. As always, stay warm, safe, and dry, my friends. There's still a lot of time left in 2024, and you won't want to miss any of it.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

It is only in sorrow bad weather masters us; in joy we face the storm and defy it. ~ Amelia Barr

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Did you see the sneak peak at Crabapples Feb stitchalong for this year--
it's all hearts--I will be doing mine all on piece of fabric like I do every year--!!!
Your projects are looking good--happy stitching--
hugs, di

piecefulwendy said...

Your little bird house quilt is perfect in that spot! All of those book blocks are enticing me to grab a book, read a bit, and take a nap. I probably should be quilting, but it's cold outside (we are supposed to be getting snow, but nope) and a warm quilt and book sounds really nice right now. At least with all the carpet prep, you have your spring cleaning done in winter!

Kate said...

Those book blocks are so cool. I have that pattern, I'm considering doing chemistry themed fabric as a potential gift for Grad Girl's advisor. We'll see if that happens, I have at least 2, probably more like 3 years before she graduates. Hope they've gotten the freezing rain wrong and you get your carpet on time.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think Sadie and Smitty have to be the most-traveled cats ever.
Sorry about all the upheaval in your house and hopefully the weather will cooperate so you can get it done.