1/28/22

Quilt Shop: Christmas Goose, Las Vegas, Nevada

Okay, so there are plenty of quilt shops in the area to choose from. I happened to read a Facebook post about this one. Christmas Good Quilt Shop also has a web presence right here.


The Facebook post said that no visit to Las Vegas was complete without a visit to this shop. Okay...I'm game. Outside, they were flying this banner:


Walking through the front door, it looks like this:


I'm always a little nervous when I take that shot with people watching. Some folks get a little weird when they see me taking pictures...like maybe I have some nefarious purpose in mind...selling my photos to the Russians in exchange for state secrets, maybe. The women working here didn't even seem to notice I was taking pictures. It reminds me of a favorite story: one time we asked if we had to keep our alcohol purchases in a bag or something as we left a grocery store. "You can do *anything* in Las Vegas!" was the response. That cracked us up. I guess what works for beer also works for quilt shops.

This isn't a huge store, but it's big enough to have plenty of fabric. I made my way around the store in a clock-wise direction. To my left was this little Christmas tree decorated with mini quilt blocks. These were about two inches across. The one at the bottom of the image has a button gingerbread man that was very cute.


To the left of the tree was this handy bag for stowing quilting stuff when one is traveling or heading to a class. I already have a bag like this, and so I didn't buy it. Mine is a little different, but with lots of pockets for everything I'll need. I like that license plate fabric they've used.


Moving on, the left wall was lined with fabric that extended around the corner. They had some pretty quilts hanging on the walls.


For whatever reason, they were also selling bottles of vanilla here. I'm nearly out in the RV, and I meant to go back and get a bottle before leaving the store. Then, it totally slipped my mind until I took the pictures off the camera. Shoot.


Toward the back of the store, they had their Halloween and Christmas fabric on sale.


To the right of that display were some pretty batiks.


Behind me were some neutrals. I took a look at these, but didn't see anything I wanted. I'm always on the lookout for fabric that could be an embroidery background. These were all a little too busy for that.


From there I just wove in and out looking at what was available. They had a lot of vintage prints.


On the back wall, there was a nice selection of patterns and books. I always check for any local designers here, but nothing stood out.


How do you like the upholstery on this chair? There were two of these sitting side by side.


On one of the chairs was a stack of these blocks. They were in packages of two with different words related to sewing on them. It took me a minute to see that these were machine stitched...maybe machine embroidery? I'm not sure. 


I wasn't sure what one would do with them other than sew them into a quilt. As I'm writing this, it occurs to me they might have been intended as pillow covers, sitting on the chairs like that.


There was another room in the back where they had more flannel than I think I've ever seen in a single store.


There was some more sale fabric, and maybe some patterns. I didn't notice the bin below.


Back in the main part of the store they had a collection of wool.


There were smaller cuts of wool around the corner.


To the right of that was a nice rack of thread. All the color gives me chills. I love thread as much as I love fabric.


Turning around, there was a nice supply of Valdani floss. I'm seeing more of this in my travels. Perhaps Valdani will become easier to come by. I have at least one pattern to make that calls for Valdani.


To the right of the thread was a doorway leading into a large classroom. There was a big group inside, and so I didn't stick my head in. It was a roomy and bright space though with lots of pretty quilts hanging on the walls.


They also had a nice supply of Cosmo embroidery floss. This is another that's sometimes hard to find since most stores carry DMC. I don't have a preference, but if I had to say something about floss, I might say that Cosmo colors are more shimmery than their DMC counterparts.


To the right of the floss my restraint failed me. I love remnants, and these were marked down 30%. I looked at everything and pulled out several to take home.


First, this is the regional print I chose for the shop hop quilt. I had them cut a fat quarter of this. 


The rest were all from the remnant display. I just liked these. Polka dots...of course. There was 7/8 of a yard of this.


There were 2-1/2 yards of this one. No idea what I'll use it for, but it seemed like it could make a good quilt back.


And then this one...there was 1-1/3 yards. I just liked it.


So, I enjoyed this shop. The women working there were cheerful and friendly. They were helpful without hovering. I'd definitely recommend visiting if you find yourself in Las Vegas. But the fun was only just getting started when I left the store. We were headed to the chocolate factory. I posted about that earlier, and you can find my post right here.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

Strength is the capacity to break a Hershey bar into four pieces with your bare hands -- and then eat just one of the pieces. ~ Judith Viorst

Darlene S said...

Looks to me to be "my kinda trip". What a fun quilt shop, packed with goodies. I definitely want to shop here one day.

Cathy Smith said...

Not sure how long you and Mike will be in Sin City, but there is another quilt shop of interest there. It's Sew Yeah Quilting. They are very active You Tubers, doing both tutorials and fabric sales. I only know what I have seen online. Might be a good time killer for you.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Loved the shop visit--always do when you go to one!!
I use Cosmo's thread (not DMC) and I have been looking and looking for a place that carry's the whole line--I did go and check out their web page and it is not listed there--but got an email address and I will send them an email and ask them if I can order some--then I need to decide which colors I am low on--I do have the whole line--!!! I am ready for Feb 1st and the Crabapple stitch along--you can see how I did my prep piece on my last blog post or two!
Have fun--hugs, di
Is the hummer coming back???

Dorothy said...

Nice shop, and I like every one of your fabric choices :-)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh I would love to visit this shop - heard of it. Now I like the idea of the mini blocks made into ornaments - very quilter's tree. The lots of threads and floss - heaven!

piecefulwendy said...

Looks like a fun shop. I always feel that way if I take photos in a quilt shop, too. Sometimes I ask if it's okay and explain I'm a blogger, but that makes me feel awkward too. I've never been refused, which is nice. You found some great remnants (I love remnants!). Maybe you need to go back for the vanilla, just sayin'

Susan said...

You can always go back for the vanilla and also look at the things you missed in your pictures. I always enjoy reading/seeing the shops you visit. Good choice on the regional fabric.

Sara said...

Really fun fabric choices.

Kate said...

You picked a fun one for your regional print.

Lyndsey said...

Thank goodness I wasn't on that trip, I would have spent a fortune. I like your choice for the regional print.