8/19/23

A Little Sewing

Good morning, my friends. I'm writing fast this morning, as I often do on Saturdays. We're heading off to the farmer's market. It seems I should be able to get some good tomatoes by now, and so I'm on the hunt for gazpacho ingredients. It's a seasonal favorite when tomatoes are at their best.

Yesterday was fairly relaxed. The "Find Matching Socks" piece is off to a good start. It should be finished today or tomorrow. After that, I'll add borders to both blocks.


In between, I needed to hoe weeds in the garden, and fill the bird feeders. The day was hoeing and sewing. When the hoeing was done, I got back to my sewing.

First, I finished the second block for the Shop Hop 3.0 quilt. This one is from the Backdoor Quilt Shoppe in Billings, Montana. Visiting this shop brightened my foul mood at the time. I'd had an unpleasant check-in process at the RV park, and seeing so much fabric and color was a good way to shake it off. I chose this cowboy boot fabric because...Montana.


Here are the six blocks I have for this quilt so far. 


When it's finished, it will have 20 blocks. I have nine more fabrics to add, which means there are just five more open slots. I expect I'll visit at least that many quilt shops on our upcoming trip, and so I'll probably finish out fabric accumulation for this quilt while we're traveling.

The rest of my sewing day was spent finishing off Tiny House #31. Five to go.


There's a lot on today's to-do list, and so I don't know if there will be time for sewing. If I can make time, I'll start on the next block for the Barn Block Sampler. This one looks complicated.


Before I finished up yesterday, I did all the cutting. It's nice to walk in and start sewing without having to do all that cutting first.


I've been doing these blocks in the color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. August's color is yellow. As I was looking for this next picture, I realized I didn't make a block in July, and so July's color is missing. That's okay. I'll make it up in toward the end. Here are the blocks I have for this quilt so far:


If I can get that finished, I'll make another row of blocks for the Painted Lady quilt. Here are the four rows I have so far.


Since working on it the last time, I've purchased a "grab bag" of ribbons, lace, and other assorted doodads to use for the "eaves" on the houses. I want them all to be different, and I quickly ran out of ribbons from my own stash. Now, I have lots to choose from, and plenty to finish it off.

There was no kitty help yesterday. Sadie was happy to have the air-conditioner off so she could spend the day in her clubhouse. It was too cold there with the air-conditioner running. Smitty has been under the weather with his recurrent Feline Herpes Virus. It can be activated by stress. We think possibly the recent hot weather is what caused his symptoms. Poor guy has been sneezing and snuffling, but he seemed better yesterday. In any case, I just let him sleep. He was excused from his sewing snoopervision duties. We're hoping he'll feel better by the time we leave on our trip. Kitties are going with us this time.

That's all the news I have for you today. Time to get busy with my morning slow stitching.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm 5'11, so when I wear heels, it's definitely a really good view that I have. I'm, like, 6'2 when I wear heels, so I tend to wear cowboy boots a lot. ~ Taylor Swift

Anonymous said...

I love seeing all your sewing progress!
We had a drop in temperature and humidity, so we were able to turn off the a/c and open the windows last night. We may be able to keep them open today, but the heat and humidity are coming back, so not sure how much time we have to bring in that fresh air…we will take whatever we can get!
I hope Smitty feels better soon! Cosmo sends get well wishes too….
Sandra B
scb23229@yahoo.com

Julierose said...

You have some lovely quilt projects on the go there;))
Painted Ladies is really looking good...hugs, Julierose

Jenny said...

I like to get my blocks all cut out and ready to sew first too. Nice to see the Painted Ladies again. And I do hope Smitty recovers from his sniffles before your next trip.

Kate said...

Those book blocks are really fun. You are moving along on several projects in the sewing room. Hope Smitty feels better today, it's no fun to be sniffly.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

awwww - poor Smitty! I hope he feels better soon. I wonder if it could be an allergy to something in the air rather than stress?