1/20/23

Making Peace with Pieces from the Past

Good morning, my friends. I'm late out of the starting gate this morning. Mike and the kitties got up early, and shut the bedroom door upon leaving. It meant I had a couple of blissful hours of sleep uninterrupted by cats walking on me. Amazing what a little alone time can do for one's chances at peaceful slumber.

It was a fairly productive day yesterday. I finished up my housekeeping chores early and then did some slow-stitching. Top spot on my sewing agenda was to prepare my fabric for the "Time to Stitch" piece from Crabapple Hill Studios for February's International Embroidery Month. You can find all the skinny about it right here. I'd printed out the instructions and pattern. My first task was to trace the pattern onto a background fabric.


That was easy enough. Next, I needed to do the coloring. For this piece, I'm using colored pencils. Meg Hawkey has an excellent video tutorial on the steps for coloring fabric with colored pencils. If you can't see the video, then click right here.


 If you're stitching along on this project, I highly recommend watching it before you start. Although I'd watched it before, it's been a while since I used colored pencils. I watched the video first, and then colored my piece and painted on the "extender." From there, I hung it to dry for a few hours. I was guessing on some of the colors. I have a full set of the Prismacolor pencils. What I didn't realize is that there are three layers to the box, not just two, and so I missed a whole layer of pencils in my box. Duh.


Okay, well, no harm done on the colors. When it was dry, I added a muslin backing and then my longest length machine basting stitch to finish it off. I'll remove the basting stitches as I go.


Now I'm ready for stitching when the first design is posted on February 1st. It's my favorite stitch-along, and I can't wait!

From there, I had to decide what I was going to work on next. Sewing together the blocks for Pieces of the Past was at the top of my list, but I was still feeling put-off by the level of hassle I'd found when I went to embroider the last section. It seemed safe enough to take it out of the box and look at it. Sadie was there for emeowtional support.


If she has to be a kitty therapist in addition to being a stitching assistant, then she'll take her catnip in advance, thank you.


So, looking at it, I decided I could sew the blocks together at the very least. I had a note to myself that I'd cut the bottom panel too close to the top, but it turned out it didn't matter. A border will be added next. When I had it all sewn together, the dimensions were all correct. Yay. 


So, it seems safe to go ahead with this, and I'll continue on today. The next step is to add a border around the whole thing. For that, I'll be using the blue in the lower right corner of the image below.


The rest of the fabrics were in the project box, and they were included for using on the 16 crazy quilt blocks that will go on the sides of the quilt...eight blocks for each side. These could be done by making templates and piecing them the traditional way. I'm going to paper piece mine. I have 17 paper piecing sheets ready to go. (The extra one is insurance against F-ups.)


And if you've been reading for a while, then you know I hate paper-piecing. These don't look too hateful, though, and so it seems easier than piecing with templates. When I bought this pattern originally, I had in mind to use some of my grandmother's vintage linens here. Now, I've already started my own vintage linen quilt, and so it no longer seems desirable to use hers. Instead, I'll just pick from the box of scraps I have going for that quilt and leave those uncut fabrics alone for the time being. 

All right, so slow-stitching is next on my agenda. My morning ended up a little out of order today after sleeping in so late. I've been gnashing my teeth about the Pieces of the Past quilt, and now it doesn't seem so daunting. I believe it's going to be a good sewing day.

10 comments:

Barbara said...

Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without. ~ Buddha

Julierose said...

You got a lot done--love that new 2023 SAL you will be stitching...nice that your worries faded away when you picked up that Pieces of the Past--nice surprise for you;)))
hugs [from gray and rainy House on the Hill] Julierose

janis said...

Hi. Like your new haircut. Thanks for taking us along on your walks, it helps me to feel like I can get outside in nature.
About paper piecing. I used to dislike it until I found Peggy Martin's quick strip paper piecing class and books (Craftsy), and now it's my favorite.

CarolE said...

Thanks for the video of your sewing room! It is so nice to have a dedicated sewing space. I also like your haircut! The best thing for me to do is step away when frustrated with a project. It always seems better when I come back to it. I'm glad you're happy with your Pieces of the Past quilt. I am also planning on doing the embroidery from Crabapple Studios. I've never done them before and this one looks very nice.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I used colored pencils on my landscapes quite often mainly because it's easier to build up layers with them. Sometimes I use the watercolour pencils but they're a little trickier to deal with.
Glad your Pieces of the Past isn't turning out to be as much hassle as you were anticipating.

Quilter Kathy said...

I have never used coloured pencils before and it looks like fun! I can't wait to see how your stitch along goes... I'll be enjoying from afar!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Thanks for the tutorial for using colored pencils. I haven't used them yet. Good luck with the paper piecing.

Karen said...

Thanks !! I've got the pattern and instructions downloaded. Now a trip into the library to print off. I do like colored pencils better than crayons, for this. Am working on CrabApple stuff, but the last year's Feb stitching is about half done. Way too many "SQUIRLES**!!" In my life. .. Talk about ufos.
Working on Valentine quilting. Having fun .
Enjoying Sadie and all her help. Hugs for both felines. Their Mom and Dad too.

Kate said...

Thank you for passing along the video. I'm not going to do this stitch along, but am looking to try something new, so using colored pencils on fabric with stitching seems like a really cool thing to try at some point. I'll probably share with Grad Girl as she really likes trying new stitching things on her projects. She asked me the other day if I'd ever thanked the person who posted about the Sticky-Solvy Stabilizer. She uses it her for all her original embroidery designs and just loves it. So thank you. Pieces of the past is looking good. So glad it turned out not to be the problem you anticipated.

piecefulwendy said...

I was just thinking I need to refresh my Prismacolor pencils. I've used some down to stubs, which I've replaced, but a set is just such a treat. That will be a fun sew along, so I will enjoy watching your progress. Glad you have the Pieces of the Past figured out; hopefully it will go together without too much frustration!