1/21/23

Making Peace with Paper-Piecing

It's Saturday, my friends. It's looking a little foggy out my window today, but I believe it might be nice enough for a walk outside. I'll wait for a bit before deciding. If not, there's always the Chamber of Horrors in the basement. I can do my walking on the treadmill if I need to. 

There isn't much to report from yesterday. I spent most of my sewing day working on crazy quilt blocks for the left and right sides of Pieces of the Past. I'll give it credit for being the size it's supposed to be. I needed to sew on a border, and it went on easier than any borders I've sewn in recent memory.


The white background for the embroidery is a white fairy frost, and it doesn't photograph well. It is pretty in person, though. I have fairy frost fabrics in several colors, and I love the shimmer they bring. For this quilt, the white reminded me of porcelain, and it seemed a good idea for those embroidered plates.

When I turned my attention to the paper-piecing, Smitty was there to provide the zen for the room.


He grew alarmed when he saw that we were doing paper-piecing.


He thought it best to stay close, just in case I got any ideas about turning the rotary cutter against my own throat. He helped me with the folding and trimming.


Here's the thing I hate about paper-piecing. It seems like a "gotcha" technique. No matter how careful I am, I still manage to cut some pieces a little too short, and then I end up with a hole.


I've said this before, but I'll say it again: I hate paper-piecing. I know how to do it. I've taken classes. I have the tools. Knowing how to do a thing and wanting to do it are two different things. I know how to get the hard water stains off my toilet bowl too, but it's near the bottom of the list of things I want to do. Paper-piecing is probably even lower on the list. 

So, getting back to the problem above, it was easy enough to fix by taking the seam on the last piece a little deeper.


Then, I just trimmed it to the right size, and no harm done. One done, but we weren't getting off to a very friendly start. 


Smitty couldn't decide where his assistance was required most. He could hold down the finished pieces.


Or he could keep the scraps in order. His long tail is a very handy tool for this.


When I had four done (25% of the total), I had some lunch and took a break.


When I returned, there was about an hour left in my sewing day. I was able to finish three more.


So that was a pretty good day's work. Seven of the 16 are finished. I doubt I'll get the rest finished today, but tomorrow is looking good. If I were following the instructions from the pattern, I would be doing fancy stitching over each of the seam lines, and I'd be adding some more embroidery to these. I'm not doing any of that. From here on, my goal is to finish the blocks and sew them together. When that is done, I'll call it a finished quilt top, even though I'm skipping a lot of what I could do.

While I've been cursing paper-piecing, Mike has been cursing painting. Painting is one of his most hated tasks. I've been after him to paint our bathroom for at least a couple of years. This winter, he decided to get it done. And, yes, I could have done the painting, but you must understand something about engineers: they are perfectionists. Indeed, they have to be. A whole lot of money goes into developing a new product, and an engineer never wants to be the one who created a design flaw that causes all the investment to go to waste. So, all of that to say that I could never paint to his standards. He would prefer not painting at all, but if it must be done, he'll be the one to do it. (BTW, that's just fine with me.)

So the bathroom was this ugly dark mauve color when we moved into the house 20+ years ago. The countertops and grout for the tile floor are a similar color. And so our choices for towels and rugs are limited. Nevertheless, we chose a pale gray to cover over the mauve.


If nothing else, the room will be lighter and brighter. When the master bath is finished, he's going to paint the bathroom on the main level. That one is a dark gray, and its new color will be a pale blue. Besides, now that the basement is finished, we need at least one room in the house to be in absolute chaos, or we don't feel quite right about our lives.

So I'll get back to my sewing today. I probably have a few more days to finish my latest stitchery, and then I'll be starting a new "short" piece...this one called "Sewing Day":


You can find the pattern from Blueberry Backroads right here. I'm already pulling fabrics and thinking about tracing it out. It's a nice distraction from paper-piecing.

As always, there's plenty on the day's agenda. I'm trying out a new recipe for dinner tonight. It's one for the Dutch oven, which means I'll need to get started early. Already, I'm starting with a truncated sewing day, and maybe that's just as well. Just now I looked outside to see little icy stuff falling from the sky. I guess it's the treadmill for my exercising pleasure today.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for what you want. ~ Joseph Wood Krutch

Julierose said...

I am not a paper piecing fan either--good for you sewing right through it all...not so easy when you don't "feel" like it!!
Your Pieces of the Past is so pretty on the Fairy Frost fabric--it must shimmer in person....
hugs, Julierose

Kathie W said...

I've made the new project you're starting. Ill be interested in hearing your thoughts about the pattern.

Jenny said...

Painting, ugg! I think my one and only time was a real disaster. I enjoy seeing your never ending supply of stitcheries to do, they are all so pretty.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I always cut my fabrics larger than needed when paper piecing. I also tend to double check if it will cover before I stitch (move the pins to the stitching line, then fold the fabric back and hold up to the light to see if it covers).

Astrid said...

Pretty stitchery. I love paper piecing. I usually double check if it will cover, but still accidents happen! Love your crazy blocks, they are beautiful. Pretty BB stitchery too.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love paper pieceing, probably because I think upside down and backwards with all things. We didn't get any snow with all the hype of a 'major' storm - jets grey, dull, rainy, and cold - blah days!!! Maybe that's why I have been doing hand stitching rather than the machine - blah days make for slow days.

Kate said...

Your paper pieced blocks look good. Hopefully you've been able to power through the rest of them. It's cold and wet here too, so I've taken refuge in the sewing room. Physicists are pretty much like engineers. Though I'm the one home now, My Guy isn't really interested in me doing things such as refinishing the front door. It requires sanding, which I seem to not be qualified for. It remains to be seen how long his reluctance for me to tackle those chores lasts as we've got some things that really need to be addressed.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

For some unknown reason I don't find paper piecing to be a bother at all, at least not beyond the having to remove the paper which isn't much fun. I suspect having spent so many years piecing crazy quilts has given me the ability to paper piece successfully. I do know a lot of people struggle with it though so you're not alone.
I feel for Mike because normally I'm the painter in our household and it's definitely a dreaded chore. Bathrooms are fiddly too so I can understand there being a wee bit of cursing involved.

Karen said...

I am married to an engineer as well…totally understand!! He’s in charge of painting too! I’ve only don’t one small paper piecing project- not a fan at all. It looked cute at a quilt show and the whole time I was making it I was thinking how much quicker I could just piece the darn thing.

piecefulwendy said...

Paper piecing is definitely a love/hate thing. While I actually kind of enjoy it, every time I start it, the first few have hiccups that frustrate me. Then I usually find my rhythm and it goes better. We have the same painting thing here, although not because hubs is an engineer. He grew up constructing houses, and painting was part of it, so he has his way of painting. I'm happy to let him paint. However, he's informed me I'll be helping paint my new quilt room. I guess I can't argue!