5/29/22

Missing in Action

The basement has us busy enough for the time being that I'm going to find precious little time for sewing. It was another no-sewing day yesterday...second day in a row. I'm afraid today will be as well. Housekeeping is going begging too. Fortunately, I have my trusty cat to help me write my blog posts or y'all might get a first-hand experience with someone who is missing in action.


Before starting anything yesterday, I did my slow-stitching. You didn't think I'd miss that, did you?


When I'd finished that, I moved my hoop to the next section, and I finished that up this morning.


And, let me just tell you, I was feeling pretty darned smug because I was going to move my hoop to what might have been the last position of this large piece. When I opened it up...what?


Unless my eyes are deceiving me, there's nothing there! I completely neglected to trace out the right side shelf and bracket. Doh! It's supposed to look like this:


Oy boy. I can't believe I did that. Fortunately, I can peel the backing away from the stitchery, and I can slip that final bit between the two fabrics to finish it off. I'm probably going to have to fire the person who traced this out originally...or maybe it was a cat. It's been so long I can't remember what happened. Regardless, it'll have to be pressed, traced, and colored before I can finish it off. And this being Sunday, I'll be sure to tell the rest of the blogging world about this by linking to


Okay, and here's something else that's missing. Old books, old DVD's, old games, old snuggle blankets, and lots of other old stuff we didn't even know we had. We spent a good part of the morning sorting junk from this wall unit. Then I took pictures of the wall unit and listed it on Craig's List. It was less than an hour before I had a response. The potential buyer wanted to come by within the next hour to take a look.


In the meantime, I drove all the donation items down to Goodwill and left them. About a half hour after I got home, the buyer showed up with a truck and some cash, and that baby is so outa here. It's a strong motivator to keep going. 

We'll empty off another bookcase this morning, and then there are two closets to sort through. We'll do that over the next two days. We don't yet have a date for the carpet removal or installation, but we're getting ready for it just the same. It's a hassle, but I'm happy to be finally doing this job I've been threatening to do for at least five years. And new carpet will be so nice.

So after all that, it was a perfect reprieve to spend the afternoon tasting wine with Erik and Mae. The Gran Moraine winery has beautiful grounds. I've pictured the whole area on a better weather day at this old post. The pictures on that old post will give you a burst of sunshine too. The sun is one more thing that's missing in action just now. It poured rain for a good part of the day, but stopped for just a bit when we arrived at the winery. It gave me a chance to take some pictures of every blooming thing in their pretty gardens.

Their dogwood is just about bloomed out.


Just below it...this ground cover. I think this is what we've always called "candy tufts."


These little rosebuds were about the size of a thimble.


The primroses were pretty.


And they had some very pretty colors of iris.




They poured us a little glass of rose while we waited for our table.


And they served us up a couple of charcuterie plates. So yummy. This is my new favorite thing. I might try this myself sometime this summer when we can sit outside and enjoy it.


These were the wines we were tasting. As I've mentioned before Mike and I are endlessly amused by the descriptions of wines.


The wines were all good, but our favorite was second from the bottom. We ended up buying a bottle of it. And who can resist when the wine is described as "breezy, immersive, and existing in the moment." Certainly, I want to exist in the moment when I'm drinking wine. It helps when you're contemplating cleaning off bookshelves and emptying out closets.

Okay, so all of that to say that I'm probably going to be missing in action in the sewing room for at least the next couple of days. I'm still hoping each day to get back to the animal in my sewing room. I'd really like to have all the fusing finished on him before I'm forced to move everything out of the sewing room. Things seem a little unbalanced right now with carpet removal breathing down my neck. If necessary, I can move my project to another room and continue working from there. I don't need my sewing machine for that.

It's going to be a busy Sunday ahead. We don't have any plans for Memorial Day tomorrow aside from cleaning out closets. What about you? Do you have any plans for the holiday weekend?

10 comments:

Barbara said...

Age is just a number. It's totally irrelevant unless, of course, you happen to be a bottle of wine. ~ Joan Collins

Andee Neff said...

Beautiful flowers and yay on getting stuff donated and sold and new carpet. So much work to do all that but then you can sit and enjoy it for years to come!

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful flowers. I have been pretty much doing the same thing, except sorting out the garage and getting rid of a lot of stuff. I will be so glad when this project is finished and I can get on with my life. Good luck on your project!

piecefulwendy said...

How great that you list those things and they move so quickly! Your flowers are still looking beautiful. That list of wines is right up my alley, one of my favorite wines. I wish I could've joined you!

Sherrill said...

That was some quick action getting rid of that bookcase!! I don't care for wine; my parents didn't drink so guess it rubbed off on me. I do like some Moscato but that's about it (and to think I was married to an Italian whose dad made his own at home..HA). Those little things in the bowl on the charcuterie look like corn nuts!! Those crackers have some fancy scalloped ends on em. Sounds like a good respite from all the hard work.

CA Bobbie said...

Those iris were indeed beautiful. These are my favorite flowers. Thanks for the beautiful
pics of them and all the other blooming things.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your embroidery work is exquisite. Looking forward to seeing your progress on it. Gorgeous blooms as well. Have a great week.

Nancy said...

What lovely wine descriptions. Do you follow Pat the Wine Guy? I am on his email list and he has never steered me wrong on good local wines. I think he is on channel 2 on Thursdays about once a month. He was on my employer’s Chaos Radio station (a once a week internal station) before I retired and I have followed him since hearing him there. He has a website and IG account.

I am hoping your decluttering will inspire me to do some of the same.

Deb said...

Your embroidery stitching is beautiful, such perfect lines. I have forgotten to trace a few parts to pieces myself. All those flowers are beautiful, those purple irises as stunning. I sorting through closets in June keeping to my purse every 6 months stuff I haven't used.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm ashamed to say that no amount of interesting descriptions of wines would help me to distinguish one from another. I know red from white of course but beyond that they pretty much all taste the same to me. Needless to say being a sommelier isn't going to be in my job description anytime soon! Charcuterie on the other hand - yum!