12/19/21

Whose Woods are These?

We expected snow last night. When we went to bed it was raining hard. We told one another that as long as it was raining, it wouldn't be snowing. Nevertheless, we woke up to this scene this morning. This image is taken from the window where my mid-arm machine sits:


This next one was from the living room window. It's pretty, isn't it?


The temperature was 33°F this morning, and so I don't imagine it will be around long. It slides off our new metal roof in great avalanches. The kitties don't know what to make of that. As for me...note to self...standing under the eaves of the house is to be avoided.

Yesterday's slow stitching saw me finishing up the 9th of nine plates for the Pieces of the Past quilt.


These are all the plates I have for this quilt so far:


Looking at the pattern cover, you can see the plates extend around the sides and top of the quilt.


When I work on this next time, I'll start the section at the bottom, where there is a shelf, tablecloth, and some items sitting on the shelf. (Sorry for the blur in this photo. It's cropped from the larger photo above, and I couldn't avoid the digital noise.)


The section is printed on four sheets, but stitched on a single background fabric. I'll stitch it in four sections as I've drawn in the lines below.


So there's still plenty to do on this quilt. I have in mind to use some more of my grandmother's embroidered dresser scarves, doilies, and hankies in the crazy quilt border.

In other slow stitching, I turned two corners on the Tiny Tuesday quilt yesterday. I'm hoping to finish it up today.


And it's a good thing I have a quilt binding to work on, otherwise, I'd be calling 911 for a stitching emergency. I still need to make up the next block for the "Domestic Affairs" quilt (my name for it). I'll be doing the second block for Jenny of Elefantz's "Gentle Domesticity" BOM from a few years ago. This is the block I'll do next:


I have fabrics picked out to make the applique, but nothing else. I'll need to get that made up today or face the dire consequences of nothing to stitch tomorrow morning. As for the rest of the day, I have a couple of housekeeping chores on the to-do list. Otherwise, I'll just stay inside under the blankets, hopefully, with a cat or two on my lap.

Oh yes, and I'll be linking today's post to:



14 comments:

Barbara said...

Snow flurries began to fall and they swirled around people's legs like house cats. It was magical, this snow globe world. ~ Sarah Addison Allen

Julierose said...

Beautiful snow scenes==it looks so hushed and serene out there...
I think using the doilies, hankies, etc will be a perfect crazy border for these...They are really so vintage looking...

No snow here really just a few little spritzes a couple weeks ago...
Looks like a quiet Christmas Day for us, the kids and grands will be coming on the 26th to celebrate here, since I cannot travel...we are so looking forward to that get together...

Hugs, on this last Sunday before Christmas Julierose

AnnieO said...

Wow that's a lot of snow! A small dusting of snow on our nearby mountain range earlier this week, but we were more happy about the rain on the Southern California plain :)
Lots of slow stitching in your world, very colorful too.

Marianne said...

Beautiful embroidery!

I had a metal roof some years ago on my old house. My cats would sit on a window seat to look out (on patrol, as always) but the snow would slide off the roof, causing quite a commotion. Not to their liking! Eventually, the pile would be so high they couldn't look out anymore. Guess who had to shovel that stuff away? What we do for our "pets"!

Jenny said...

Such beautiful snow scenes, but much too cold for me, I imagine! It certainly has a winter wonderland feel to it.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful projects and stitching. I don't envy you of the snow. It was down in the 30's several mornings this week and I had ice on my windows. I even had to get out my wool coat, and haven't had to use it for a number of years! Hope you have Happy Holidays!

Sara said...

Such pretty snow. We had a couple of days like that a week ago, but some of it has melted now. We got a total of 10” here but I have no complaints as we need the moisture badly.

Anonymous said...

FYI - if you have any heating/cooling equipment (like an air conditioning or heat pump unit) outside under the eaves, make sure they’re covered for the winter. Those avalanches can cause major damage to them. We get avalanches off our tile roof and it’s cost us big bucks! Of course, it depends on the direction of the roof slope. I’m looking forward to the trip you’re taking us on soon! Merry Christmas! Candy

Katie said...

Where I live rain turning to snow followed by sunshine is no big deal, so I'm giggling a bit at your predicament. I suppose when you're used to it, it's funny when it happens to others? But I am watching your metal roof journey, as my hubby has declared when we need a new roof (maybe 10 years off yet?) this is what he wants. I have heard other stories of avalanches, but they are not first-hand, as yours are. I'm sure we can make it work (because he is the stubbornnest person I've ever met - and I can usually out-stubborn anyone!), but it is good to have some insider info before I go into battle!

piecefulwendy said...

What a gorgeous view to wake up to! We have a mild day here today, so I may do some quick errands. I don't seem to be interested in sewing, so I need to do something! Your hand stitching is beautiful!

Darlene S said...

Brr. Beautiful, but looks oh so cold. I'm glad you have your new roof all secured and tight. Great weather to stay inside and quilt, or stitch.

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Your photos look like vintage postcards. What a gorgeous view. I hope you're staying warm and getting yourself ready for the holidays.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I don't remember having seen the entire quilt design for the plates and am happy to see the crazy quilt borders....a perfect accompaniment to the plates. This one is going to be a showpiece!

Michele said...

Your plate blocks are just beautiful.