12/18/21

All Sewing, All the Time

Well, I had big ideas about things I was going to do yesterday, including making a lasagna for our visit with California friends. There was at least one housekeeping chore on yesterday's agenda too. Did I do any of that? Are you kidding? Well...the answer is no. I was close to finishing my quilt, and nothing was going to stand in my way. Unless you include my cat. He stands in my way a lot when I'm quilting.


When he sees me quilting, he thinks it's time to call in reinforcements: Him.


Okay, but just moving Himself out of the way, I was able to get on with things. In yesterday's journey, I encountered the one block that had me a little bamboozled about how to quilt this quilt. It's the cutest block...one of the first I made for this project. It's a little three-dimensional bow tie. These are easier to make than they look. You can find the tutorial right here. Someday I'd like to make a whole quilt from these.


I might have quilted this in a diagonal grid, but I didn't want to stitch over the center of the bow tie. Since the blocks were small (4.5 inches), I decided a terry twist would get the job done for all of them, and it would leave the center of this block unstitched. You might say, this tiny block was King when it came to choosing a quilting design.


I was approaching the end of the line when I reached that block. For the outer border, I did this insy-outsy wavy ribbon thing. (Technical quilting terms.)


When I was finished, I walked across the room to where my desktop computer is, and checked into internet land. (It's important to keep abreast of virtual happenings at all times.) When I stood up to gather my quilt and take it downstairs, I noticed this standoff in progress.


Ordinarily, Smitty draws a bright red line at having Sadie upstairs in his exclusive territory. She was doing her best to ignore his stern warning glare. 


As I'm writing this, it occurs to me that when I lay a quilt across my chair to relax wrinkles out of it, it makes the best kitty fort where Sadie can lie, hiding from Smitty. It's the one way she gets to be upstairs sometimes, and it drives him crazy. Maybe just the idea of a kitty fort in this area gave him pause, and, at least on this day, he didn't attack her.

Okay, but we had important quilting finish photos to take, and so I laid it out on the living room floor.


Had it not been for the standoff upstairs, I'm sure I would have had some kitty inspectors. Here's how it looks from a side-long view. It's easier to see the quilting this way.


Here's how it looks from the back.


Here's another look at the front. I like how this turned out. It's quilted simply, and not too dense. I think we get used to seeing very dense quilting when it's done by machine, and so I'm liking this lighter touch.


The only thing left to do was to sew on the binding. Since it's a "rainbow" quilt, I used that rainbow fabric for the inner border and binding.


While we watched the news last night, I was able to clip it all around for hand-sewing today.


Also, I was close to filling my embroidery hoop, and so I spent a little time on that too.


Now I've moved my hoop to the next position. I can't quite fit the whole of the plate into my hoop, but this block is close to being finished. It's probably time to trace out and make the next block for the Domestic Affairs quilt. 

So with all that sewing and absolutely nothing else happening yesterday, I need to buckle down and get some things done today. The coming week will be a busy one, getting ready to leave, and hosting Christmas dinner for the family on Christmas Eve. If I can get all the to-do's on my list crossed off, I'll get back to doing some sewing. I said earlier there were two projects I wanted to finish before we went. The first was to finish the quilt top for An Irish Blessing, finished last week. The Tiny Tuesday quilt was the second of those two, and so the remainder of our time at home will be a free-for-all on whatever I have time for. 

I'm thinking I'd like to make a new mask to wear for Valentine's Day season. I wanted to make one last year, but then never got around to it. And then, I figured surely we'll be done with masking by Valentine's Day 2022. Ha! Wishful thinking for sure. Maybe I'll start a quest for a 365 Mask stitch-along. A new mask every day!!! (No, just no.) So, I'll do that, and then I'll just start working my way through quilt blocks for my WIP's list. 

Before I go today, though, I wanted to share something I read on Facebook last week. Although I've never really spoken this aloud, it has occurred to me that our quilts will outlive us. Maybe I'm particularly aware of this since I have so many of the quilts my grandmother made. Several are still in use, and my grandmother died on New Year's Day, 1973. Nearly 50 years on, I'm still using her quilts. So, when I saw this meme on Facebook, it touched me:


When I came upstairs this morning, I spied this little quilt, received when I participated in Another Little Quilt Swap...no longer in progress, sadly. What I didn't know at the time is that this could very well be the last quilt ever made by Mary Jane Cardwell, who died from cancer shortly after this swap. It fit the top of my craft table perfectly, and that is its permanent home


Here's the label from the back of the quilt.


You can read the memorial post from the blog about Mary Jane's passing right here.

The quilt served as the logo for the final swap in this group.


So there you go...proof positive that quilting will make you immortal. I'm happy to provide a final resting place for what might have been Mary Jane's final quilt. RIP, friend I never met. Even though I didn't know you, I know that you were here! And you made this quilt for me. Thank you.

Okay, so all work and no play...you know the rest. I'll start my day with a little slow-stitching, but then, I really must accomplish something today.

How are your Christmas preparations coming?

10 comments:

Barbara said...

Immortality is to live your life doing good things, and leaving your mark behind. ~ Brandon Lee

Julierose said...

WE still need to go out next week and get lashings of food stuff for upcoming visits...relish tray stuff and antipasto makings, dips, crackers etc.. we usually do a bunch of things like that instead of a sit down dinner with the family "drop-ins"..Special little fancy treats....I need to make my yearly mushroom rolls and crab dip...other than that--all set--oh and a haircut/trim up on Monday...Hope all goes well with your preps hugs, Julierose

Pam said...

I was wondering how long you will be gone on your winter trip? You are taking lots of projects. I think you really shine as a photographer of sights seen. I crocheted an embroidered shawl a couple years ago, gave it to my daughter who lives in India and she gave it to her ashram teacher-it has a life of its own now and who knows where it will go and who it will meet. One further note...where can one buy those darling decals you have on your tiara? I have been vaguely looking around without much luck.

Christine said...

Love your finish on the quilt, especially all the small flowers in between the squares.

SJSM said...

Well, I have guests coming for Christmas week. Decorating is in full motion. No food purchased, house needs cleaning, cookie doughs not made nor breakfast scones. Menus for the week not planned. I didn’t even get all the presents purchased/made. The dining room became a dumping ground since Covid struck. There is a huge pile that needs to be addressed. Much of it is from my moms home when we emptied it after her death from Covid. Feeling a bit overwhelmed but all that absolutely needs to happen will happen.

Pam Dempsey said...

Poor Sadie, I thought they both roamed freely in your sewing room...
And SJSM - I feel for you. I hope you can let go of the stresses and your company will enjoy being there with you - maybe help with stuff :)

piecefulwendy said...

Interesting how Smitty and Sadie have been together so long, you'd think the territorial stuff would be done. At least you got photos done uninterrupted. Your quilt looks fantastic! Well done on meeting your two goals before the end of the year. I saw that meme too and really liked it. I have quilts from my great grandmother up through my mother, along with other quilting friends. They are some of my most cherished items.

The Joyful Quilter said...

How is that lasagna coming along, Barbara? Some days are like that. The list goes out the window and we sew, sew sew! :o))

scraphappy said...

A finished quilt is the perfect way to wrap up the old year and get ready for a fresh start. The quilting on your sampler is just right. Enough design to add interest and not so much that it takes away from the blocks. Love the rainbow boarders as well. Congratulations!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Another fun and colorful quilt Barbara - and I do love that rainbow fabric you're using.
Reading the quote about 'being here' made me remember that my grandmothers were both prolific quilters and sadly I only have one quilt that came from them. My maternal grandmother - her quilts just simply disappeared and nobody knows where they went. I suspect an over-zealous aunt got rid of them. I have one though that she made. All the quilts my paternal grandma made were lost in a house fire. I remember, as a little girl, seeing her quilting room upstairs and the piles of beautiful quilts in the cupboard. So sad that all her work was lost.