12/20/21

A Tiny Finish

When I went downstairs after writing yesterday's post, I found the Stanbro Men (human and feline) sitting comfortably and watching snow fall off the roof. Smitty was strategically positioned to keep his "peets" warm.


Sadie sat with me, keeping my feet warm as I stitched on my quilt binding.


With her expurrt assistance, I turned the third corner.


I have to limit the amount of time I spend holding a needle because it makes my broken thumb sore if I stitch for too long. Sometimes it's fine, but the healing process has been slow where my thumb is concerned. It seems to go through phases, and right now, it's in one of its annoying phases. So, okay...I can stitch plenty long enough, but it's annoying to have to impose limits.

There was housework to do, and I was determined to get it done. The week ahead is going to be a busy one on many levels. Nevertheless, my next stop was the sewing room. I worried a stitching emergency was in the offing if I didn't get a new quilt block made up. That quilt binding isn't going to keep me busy forever, you know. So I went to work making the second block for the "Domestic Affairs" quilt. 


This is Jenny of Elefantz's "Gentle Domesticity" block of the month from 2016. Her designs are always so pretty and feminine. This one won't take long to stitch. Some of it was done by machine, and of course, there was the top-stitching of the appliques to contend with. 

From there, I really, really, really did my housework. I'd vowed to pull my sewing machine table away from the wall and vacuum behind it for the first time in many years. Yikes! What I found back there was very nearly gag-worthy. It's all cleaned up now though. I hoped I'd find a treasure trove of lost items behind the table, but there was nothing but piles and piles of clipped thread. I have an idea a mouse might have taken refuge there at one time too. (Mice learn quickly that the Three Cats Ranch is not a place of refuge for them.) 

With that done, I got back to work on my quilt binding, turning the fourth corner. I really like how the rainbow border and binding look together. I bought that rainbow fabric many years ago with nothing in particular in mind for it. I just really liked it, and it has gone into many of my quilts. 


A short time later, my quilt was finished. 
.

Here's how it looks from the back.


It's already been washed and dried, and this one will find a home in our truck camper. With this little finish, I feel as if I can leave my list of projects in good stead for the end of 2021.

Okay, so there's more housekeeping on today's to-do list, and I'll get a start on the "Domestic Affairs" block. If there's time for sewing, I'll make the Valentine's Day mask I've been promising myself since Valentine's Day of 2021. I figure if we're going to be masking, we might has well be seasonably fashionable. Maybe I'll make one for St. Patrick's Day while I'm at it. Oh yes, and how about a Cinco de Mayo mask for my May 5th birthday. And, really, when you think about it, the sky is the limit. A patriotic mask could get me through Memorial Day, Flag Day, and the Fourth of July. Will we still be masking into July of next year? What say you? I say yes, and it gives me no pleasure. 

We've had some worrisome news about the weather. Our plan was to head south on the 29th, but cold weather and lots of snow have suddenly appeared in the forecast. We may have to skedaddle out of here on Christmas Day or risk being stuck for a week or more. Since we have reservations and meet-ups with friends scheduled, it could turn into a real hassle having to change everything around. With that said, the week got a little busier. I'm going to get all the packing done this week as well. If we need to take off with squealing tires, we'll be ready.

15 comments:

Barbara said...

A bee is never as busy as it seems; it's just that it can't buzz any slower. ~ Kin Hubbard

Juliana said...

I love the image of y'all squealing away ahead of snowy weather. I've enjoyed reading about the projects you are taking on your get-away. This last 2021 quilt is really beautiful. Like you, I really like the double rainbow fabric for border and binding. Have a safe and wonderful trip.

Julierose said...

Well, fingers crossed and good thoughts for the weather men being wrong...I can see why you are wanting to get everything done if you'll have to "get outta dodge" earlier then planned.

I think your Domesticity block is so pretty...your machine quilting is so lovely... I just have a zig zag stitch on Helga and I am still trying to get the hang of making it look the right size and not clunky!! Practice practice practice, right?? l000

I just got a Kathy Schmitz panel design in the noon mail to start in January for embroidery and I've ordered a Dropcloth design (the circle one) also...Christmas presents for myself--along with some sock yarn from Austrailia..

Good luck getting done what you need to...hugs, Julierose
P.S. Had a haircut today--oooh feels so much better...back to my blunt cut about chin length and just straight...yes!!

Quilting Babcia said...

This bright and cheerful quilt will be perfect for your truck camper. It seems like you had to get out of Dodge ahead of a storm another year too?

Vicki W said...

I hope your trip isn't messed up! I love the quilt. the rainbow border and binding really pulls it all together. Merry Christmas!

Karen said...

I'm a Cinco De Mayo baby too. I am afraid we will probably still need masks then, hoping not but better to be prepared, right?!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Such a sweet quilt finish, Barbara. Congratulations!

Susan said...

I love the rainbow border and binding. I bought some of that or something very similar a few years ago too just because I liked it.
I am in the camp that says we will probably be wearing masks for the rest of our lives as too many people are able to are unwilling to get vaccinated and it seems they are also the ones who won't wear a mask or when mandated, a proper mask worn properly.

I hope you don't have to squeal your tires getting out of "Dodge".

piecefulwendy said...

You've been busy, and the Tiny Blocks quilt looks great! I need to do housekeeping today; I have a friend coming for coffee tomorrow, so I should at least get the house looking somewhat presentable. There has been very little quilting here lately. I'm a little puzzled by that, but there it is. Hope you get all your tasks done and are able to get out ahead of the snow!

MissPat said...

Our weatherpeople can't even get the forecast right a day ahead of time. Maybe yours have a better track record.I still need to quilt my Tiny Blocks quilt. Not even sure where it is right now.
Pat

Christine said...

The quilt looks super and, yes, the rainbow material pulls it all together a treat.
I found a Christmas material mask in one of my Christmas Decorations boxes.... Just in time for my craft group party!!
Hope the weather holds off till you're all ready and packed to go.... I hate the sound of squealing tyres! lol

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is a really sweet quilt. That rainbow fabric looks wonderfully as a binding and sashing and inner border. I hope your thumb heals up quickly. I really like the Domestic Affairs block too.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Taking off with squealing tires sure did conjure up a funny mental image!
Congrats on another great quilt finish...you're on a roll!

Sharon Kwilter said...

Congratulations for the finish despite the messed up thumb. I hope it gets better soon.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on a fine RSC quilt finish, Barbara!!