12/17/21

Hat Trick

It was a busy day yesterday with lots of running around. Everything feels so hustle-bustle this time of year, even when I'm operating on a good night's sleep. Yesterday, I was operating on only half a good night's sleep, and so my patience was half what it might have been...skimpy, even on a good day. The pedicure was nice, but then there was the grocery store which put a huge dent in my zen of the moment. But, oh well, now it's done, and I can stay home until Tuesday...unless we have to pick up Mike's truck. But let's just pretend for now, okay?

As expected, I took a nap yesterday afternoon in an attempt to catch up on my sleep. The nap was good and I slept hard for a couple of hours. It seemed late in the day by then to start working on my quilting, and so I decided the day had come to work on a mending project I've had sitting around, literally, for years.

So, long ago, I bought this funky hat from Eddie Bauer. Wasn't there some clown or somebody who wore a hat like this? I can't remember.


I really liked it, although I didn't wear it often. It's made of wool and it's warm, but its best feature is that it hides my hair on a bad hair day...or a day when I just didn't feel like styling my hair. I had it in my car, and it just lived there for emergency bad hair days. Then, a mouse got into my car and took up residence there, chewing a big hole in the rolled brim of my beloved hat. Bummer. 


So years have gone by, and it's been sitting in my sewing room. I've been tempted to just throw it away at times, but then...I'd want to give it a second chance at life, and I considered many different ways of patching it. I've probably picked it up and set it down a thousand times or more over the years. 

Finally, I settled on felted wool as a way to repair it, and I ordered the least amount of black felt I could from Amazon in the form of these 42 squares of 4 x 4 pieces of felt. They cost me $10, including shipping.


And, yes, I probably could have gone to Jo-Ann and purchased what I needed, but then...Jo-Ann. I didn't want to spoil a perfectly good day. 

Okay, so here we are with our 42 pieces of felted wool. I needed just one to repair my hat.


I wish I'd had a template of some kind to cut a better elliptical shape from it, but this is what I ended up with. And I decided on black embroidery floss for the stitching.


And then, I stitched a blanket stitch all the way around to cover the hole. Fortunately, it's on the side of the hat over my right ear. I doubt anyone will ever notice that. 


And me...I'm a happy camper now that I can wear my hat again. 


I just happened to be having a convenient bad hair day after getting a new perm and then napping on it to boot. It allowed me to demonstrate the bad-hair-day-cover-up features of my hat.

But what about the remaining 41 squares of felt? Well...I have an idea about that. You're going to have to work with me here. 

So, you know about the "Stitched Inchies" projects (my name for them) I've done for International Embroidery Month in February the past few years. Here are the resulting mini quilts that have come from that fun stitch-along project by Crabapple Hill Studios. The first year's mini was hand-quilted.


This was the one from the second year:


Last year, she did something a little different, but this is how I did it:


So, I don't know if she's going to do another one this year, but if she does, I'll stitch along. They're really fun to do. 

Here's my idea: What if I stitch each one onto a background fabric, then cut around it with pinking shears, then stitch it to the middle of a felt square? Thus:


When they're all finished, I'll sew the felt squares together somehow...maybe with a ribbon sashing or something. We'll see. And we'll see if she even does it in 2022. If not, my hopes will be dashed. But hey...Crabapple Hill...don't let that bother you. I'll be fine. I'll just be sitting here griping about the pandemic, with nothing to stitch, but I won't be bitter. Oh no. Not even a little bit.

So, on that happy note, I'm making a lasagna for a crowd today. Among our first stops on our trip south will be to spend a week with three other couples at one of California's state parks. It's going to be great fun. We won't all be there for the whole week, but we'll all be together for two nights out of the week. For those nights, we've figured out a pot luck style dinner when we'll all sit down and enjoy a meal together. Hopefully, the weather will cooperative and we'll be sitting outside at a picnic table. So, my contribution for the first night is a lasagna, and others will provide the side dishes. I can make the lasagna today and then freeze it for later. 

After that, I'm really going to get back to my quilting. Time's a-wastin' if I'm going to get it finished up before we leave.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

I say, if you believe what you read in the comic strips, then you believe that mice run around with little gold buttons on their red pants and drive cars. ~
Mort Walker

Edith said...

At first I thought the first picture was your repair with 2 felted sheep! Have fun on your trip.

Julierose said...

Great save for your hat...I have a favorite deep blue crocheted hat with a nice brim that can really hide my hair on those days...I have my Grand-mere's pn holding up one side a la Francaise...I love hats...hugs, Julierose...

Rebecca said...

What a great color match!!!
I never trust the color on the monitor to be exact but yours is a great match!

Anonymous said...

Great fix! Now you are all set, for bad hair days, and for cold days when you have to be outside!
I have to tell you, Barbara, when I saw the first picture on your blogpost yesterday, of snow on your new roof, I thought it was a picture of strips of batting! After I read your explanation, I laughed right out loud!
Lasagna with your friends sounds delicious!!
Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Quilting Babcia said...

Lasagna makes a great Christmas dinner too! Your hat trick turned out perfect. Maybe you could make a crazy quilt of sorts with those felt squares, and stitch them together with all the embroidery stitches you've learned over the years! I couldn't, but you could!

Ruth L. said...

Your hat made me think of Carol Burnett and Red Skelton, but the interweb showed me I was wrong on both counts. And your repair is an amazing match but I hope you'll go beyond that. To me your hat "rim" is a blank slate (another pun?!?) crying out for some embroidery, wool applique, or maybe visible mending.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm so glad you were able to repair the hat (and I would've avoided Joann's too). It looks so cute on you! I hope you enjoy a restful, relaxing day of sewing today.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great job on the hat repair - now you should just add an embroidered flower?? I hate hats and very rarely wear even a toque unless it's bitterly cold and I know I have to be outside.
I loved seeing the 'Stitched Inchies' - such fun to create I would think. I don't know what it is about Crabapple Hill and my computer but they absolutely detest each other. I cannot - no matter how I approach it - ever get their web site to open. Instead I get dire red warnings yelling at me that it's a BAD place and don't go there or I'm certain to be blown up along with the computer. Disappointing because I know they have wonderful things most deserving of my perusal....sigh.