11/12/21

Time to Build an Ark

Well, that new roof is getting a workout. It's been raining hard nonstop since yesterday morning, and we're expecting another full day of this "atmospheric river" today. Yeesh. It's good to live on a hill. Flooding is predicted for the lowlands. We're fine here, but it is wet, wet, wet. Smitty took to the highest shelf in the catio yesterday. He's less likely to get wet there.


Sadie had other ideas. This is how she spent the day.


When we woke up this morning, our weather station informed us we'd had 2.15 inches in the past 24 hours. No doubt, there is even more now. We were expecting 3/4 of an inch over the next hour.


It was a good day to stay inside and sew, although we did make a quick trip to the grocery store. Now, the quilting is finished on the Fancy Cats quilt. Here's how the final quadrant looked when I was finished.


Here's another shot from the back.


Smitty didn't help with this. He got bored and sleepy watching the rain, and so he curled up on the bed for a nice warm nap.


I took the quilt downstairs and laid it in front of the window for a look. I'm so much happier with it since changing my mind about the quilting motif. It makes all that stitch-picking worthwhile.


Here's how it looks from the back. That paisley strip was from the original panel. It seemed a shame to waste it.


Smitty didn't help with the quilting, but he did help me square it up for binding.
 

By day's end, I'd sewn the binding to the edge. I used the same dark purple used in the rest of the quilt.


When I left it for the day, I had all the binding clips in place, and now it's ready for hand-sewing. 


While we watched the news last night, I stitched up my hoop for Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage. This block is actually moving along faster than I thought it would.


As I'm writing this morning, I have some Baked Apple-Blueberry Oatmeal for Two baking in the toaster oven. Here's an old photo:


I like it drizzled with a little maple syrup. It's a nice breakfast. The oatmeal sticks with me well past lunch time. When I make it for two, it uses just half an apple. We had it a few days ago, and I wanted to use up the other half of the apple. The original recipe for this came from Nutmeg Nanny. She made it with bananas instead of apples. I didn't care for the baked bananas, and so I adapted her original recipe right here. The original recipe will serve six easily, and it keeps well in the refrigerator. 

Okay, so it's time to move along. With so much rain expected, it'll be a good day to stay inside hand-stitching the binding. I'm afraid the rain is here to stay. Might as well get used to it.

14 comments:

Barbara said...

I don't believe in pessimism. If something doesn't come up the way you want, forge ahead. If you think it's going to rain, it will. ~ Clint Eastwood

Cathy Smith said...

I really like the look of that quilting pattern. You nailed it!

CarolE said...

Your Fancy Cats quilt is beautiful!

CarolE said...

And please send some of that rain down to Southern California!

Quilting Babcia said...

Looks like the roofers finished in the nick of time. The new quilting motif shows so beautifully especially on the back of the quilt. Especially gratifying after the angst of all the ripping out. Will this be an addition to the mewseum or a throw quilt? Either way it's a beauty!

CA Bobbie said...

The Fancy Cats is well worth the picking. Well done. I do love those cats as well as those live ones.

Darlene S said...

Wow, that is a lot of rain in 24 hours. I hope flooding doesn't present any problems in your area. Purrfect nap weather for kitties. Your Fancy Cat quilt is so beautiful.

Jedigram577 said...

Love the fancy cat finish…well worth the extra effort!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Good thing you live on higher ground if you're getting all that amount of rain...wow.
You and Smitty have done a fine job on that quilt.

Teresa aka MarieSews said...

Ditto to what Carol E said....send us the rain here in California. We'll take it ALL!!!

The quilt if GORGEOUS!!! The unpicking was definitely worth it. That all over design works really well.

Julierose said...

Fancy cats is beautifully quilted--good idea to use that little bit of paisley on the back.
that blueberry oatmeal recipe looks so yummy--
We had 2" of rain yesterday, and this morning it is in the low 30's--but lovely crisp days have been our diet lately...
Hugs, Julierose

piecefulwendy said...

Boy, that's quite a bit of rain. I'm with Sadie; rainy days make me sleepy too! Love how the cat quilt finished up, the quilting looks so nice!

Debi said...

Made the blueberry “cobbler” and it was perfect! Easy, tasty, and quick. Did use bananas because I had them and didn’t have apples but it was a 10 for sure. Thanks!

Ruth L. said...

Played blog catch up yesterday after a quilt retreat. The oatmeal recipe looked delicious so I made it this morning. Unlike you, I put the extra apple slices on the top. Don't do it. They're a little dehydrated. Still, we had no leftovers. 'Nuf said. Thanks for another excellent recipe.