11/11/21

Oh Deer

There was just a little more stitching to do on my latest hooping of Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage. I finished that up after writing yesterday's post.


Now I'm making my way across to the right. There isn't a lot of stitching on the left side of the piece (so far), and so it's easy to speed through it, admiring my progress as I go. But just wait until I get closer to the top. That'll slow me down as the stitching gets more dense.

As I was packing up my embroidery supplies, we noticed two deer in the field. I'm assuming these are relatives of the buck we saw the day before. The doe saw me through the window, but didn't run off.


Her offspring was present too, but hidden behind a bush. I had to go upstairs to get them both in the same image. Sadly, I caught the doe in a rather unflattering position.


While she attended to business, her offspring looked around for something to eat.


Oh...these geraniums will do nicely! He apparently forgot that deer don't like geraniums.


And then he looked around for something more tasty.


Spying the rose bush, he headed that direction. I tried to get his picture as he nibbled at the rose bush, but he saw me through the window and ran off.


We have just one rose bush in the yard. It was a gift from a former neighbor many years ago. Sometimes it blooms. Most times the deer eat it. When we first moved into this house, we planted five rose bushes. I got tired of tending them just so the deer could eat every single rosebud. We took them out and gave them to Erik and Mae, and then I planted culinary herbs in the same bed. Then, the neighbor gave me the one rose bush we have. As expected, the deer love it. We think of it as bait to keep them away from the rest of the landscape.

It was a laundry day, and while the washer and dryer did all the work, I got back to my quilting. Now, I've quilted the top left quadrant.


Here's how that looks from the back. It's a little hard to see the stitching on this fabric.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the quilt back is pieced, and I used up yardage from the quilt top and some that was in my stash. I think I bought this particular fabric on one of my quilt shop outings for no other reason than simply liking it. It worked out well for this quilt.

Today is a grocery shopping day. My list is fairly short, and so it shouldn't take long. I should be able to finish up the quilting today. Binding strips are cut, but not sewn together, and so that will be next on the list if I can get that far today. I see a finish in my future.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

I love living with animals. And my children love animals. I love walking around and being with the horses. But the deer? They're naughty. ~ Stephanie Seymour

Julierose said...

Love how your quilting is coming out--just beautiful work on your cats quilt...
oh--deer!! is right. they insist on eating my azaleas and our new apple trees are completely stripped of leaves!! Now we have two sticks!!
Hugs, Julierose

Dorothy said...

I understand that they can be considered a pest when they are eating the garden and the flowers, but they sure are beautiful. And Mom squats ?? just like my female kitties ??. And I think somewhere in the stash I have your backing fabric :-)

piecefulwendy said...

Well, at least it's not coyotes, right?! We had snow last night (sigh), just a dusting, but still. I need to do a grocery run today, too. Then I'll be in my sewing room. Really liking how your quilt is coming along!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great photos of the deer! No doubt they're a family - or part of a small herd. You're well on the way to another finish!

Sue Baker said...

The deer are cute; but beware. I had a buck explode thru my full view front storm door glass. Did major damage to the house. Thankfully was able to excape thru the rear sliding glass screen door. He would have wounded me badly or killed me had I been in his way. Had not seen deer around for ages; but here he was. Only explanation was he saw his reflecion in the glass & challenged another buck.

MissPat said...

Your deer are more discriminating than mine. They have eaten the geraniums, begonias, chrysanthemum flowers (they leave the plants alone until they bloom), the hostas, the lilacs and forsythia. Now many of these plants appear on lists of plants the deer avoid, but my deer are apparently illiterate.
I love the backing fabric on the cat quilt. It's one I would buy and then not be able to cut up.
Pat