11/13/21

Dismal Day

It rained, and rained, and rained hard all day long yesterday. In the past two days, we've received somewhere in the neighborhood of four inches of rain. There is flooding in the lowlands, and one of the campgrounds on the Oregon coast had to be evacuated by the Coast Guard when floodwaters cut off the only exit out of the place. Given our track record with RVing in flood zones, I'm surprised we weren't a part of this debacle.

The kitties stayed under the blankets all day, and I spent the day slow-stitching. After several hours, I'd turned two corners on the Fancy Cats quilt, and I was close to turning the third corner. I expect I'll finish this quilt today. I really love that border fabric.


The rain didn't stop the Wells Fargo Wagon from delivering a recent fabric purchase. I've had in my stash for a very long time this French Roses pattern. I purchased it when I visited Quilters Market Quilt Shop in Tucson, Arizona, way back in February of 2011. I've never made anything from it.


The quilt shop had a cute one on display made from very colorful scraps, and that was the original enticement to buy it.



Fast forward to more than ten years later, I saw a post on Facebook recently where someone was showing off her finish. In a comment, someone mentioned having done this quilt in flannel, and my brain screamed, "Holy Sh*t!" I have at least two boxes of flannel scraps! And doncha know I got all excited about it then. After all, I do have an opening on my WIPs dance card after finishing the last of the City Bank quilt blocks (still to be sewn into a quilt top). 

But let's not get all bogged down in unfinished projects, okay? I decided this would be my next new project, and so I went shopping for some flannel background fabric for the quilt blocks...this one:


And, of course, every quilt needs a backing fabric, right? So I chose this one.


And all of that to say the fabric arrived yesterday. I'll get started on it eventually, but probably not until after the first of the new year. (Yikes...I can't believe I'm talking about the new year already. Didn't the old new year just get started like...last Tuesday?)

Okay, well, getting back to yesterday. I stitched most of what I had hooped up in Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage. 


I needed to move my hoop just a little to the right to capture the last bit on that side. This morning, I finished that up.


So now, I've moved my hoop up, and I'll start working my way from right to left again. I expect this will require at least two more back-and-forths before I have it finished up. Even with so much left to do, it's going faster than I thought it would.

All right, so the sun is shining today. I'm determined to get outside for at least a little while. The day's agenda will include finishing off the Fancy Cats quilt. If there's more time for sewing after that, I'll probably get a start on my next challenge quilt. I'd like to have it finished before we head south for the winter. 

8 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm happy to be at home with the kids, in my flannel pajamas; that's a treat. ~ Patsy Kensit

Julierose said...

Ohmygosh--I HAVE that pattern in my pattern stash--it would be fun to see just how we would both interpret it..;))) and yes, this year is going by so quickly==not too long until Christmas even!!

Your Fancy Cats binding is really coming along great! You are getting a lot done--hope your thumb isn't suffering. You are also moving right along with that embroidery... that is one big project!!
Hugs, Julierose








The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on your (near) finish, Barbara! Thanks for the reminder about that layered flower pattern. It's been on my To Make list for ages! Now, I'm wondering what it might look like in floral scraps and solids. What do you think? Too much?

piecefulwendy said...

That is a serious amount of rain! We have a dusting of snow on our deck, personally I'd be happier if it was warmer temps and rain dripping off our deck, but anyhoo. Love that border fabric for the cats quilt, too! Will be fun to see you get into the roses and flannels for that project!

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects. We had some rain a couple of weeks ago, and a little drizzle. I love seeing your progress in the stitching! Happy stitching!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh , I am so glad that you all are safe from the rains. You have some fabulous projects that you are working on. Love your embroidery. Have a great week and happy quilting

Terri in BC said...

Oh my goodness, great minds must think alike! I just bought that pattern and kit from a destash group. I have to finish a few other things before I start on it. Love how your stitching is coming along!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love the beautiful fabric you're using for the borders of the Fancy Cats quilt. And I will be watching how your 'French Roses' evolve. It will be so cozy done with flannel.