11/1/21

The Reveal: Friendship 7

Today is the reveal for The Endeavourers challenge quilt. The prompt for this quilt was "Inspired by a Newspaper Headline." When I first read the prompt, my mind went immediately to the question I'm often seeing on social media and elsewhere: What is the first major news story you remember as a child? And I answered, "The Kennedy Assassination," which is what most people in my cohort will say. I was nine years old, and in the 4th grade when that happened. I can remember getting the news as plain as if I were reliving the day. I was attending Mokapu Elementary School on the Marine Corps base on the island of Oahu, Hawaii. A couple of boys ran by our classroom and yelled in the window, "President Kennedy has been assassinated!" It was shocking news.

But getting back to this prompt, I asked myself...really? Is that really the first newspaper headline I can remember? And then I was reminded of one from earlier: John Glenn's orbital flight. I was in the second grade, attending Kainalu Elementary School, in Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii. I remember talking about the exciting events of the day with a boy who sat at the desk next to me. And so I went with that for my inspiration.

For some time, I've been wanting to try incorporating a human face into my quilting repertoire. So, I went in search of some news stories about John Glenn. I liked this cover from Life magazine.


After thinking about it for a few days, I worried about copyright issues if I were to use this image in a quilt. And I don't know who would care, but it gave me second thoughts. I went on quite a little online journey trying to figure out if the image was in the public domain. Apparently some Life magazine covers are, but I couldn't determine if this was one of them. 

Searching further, I found another image I liked, this one from Time magazine:



But here, I ran into the same problem. Despite hours of trying, I could not figure out if the image was in the public domain, and so I didn't feel comfortable using it.

So here's where I learned something: All commemorative postage stamps created after 1978 are copyrighted. Those created in 1977 and before are all in the public domain. I didn't know whether a stamp had been created to honor John Glenn in the early 1960's, but I found one that commemorated Project Mercury that led to John Glenn's orbital flight. When I found it, I had my inspiration. Here's the original stamp:


And, honestly, how old to you have to be to remember when a letter could be mailed for 4¢?

It seemed like applique would be the best way to recreate the commemorative stamp. Sadie is an excellent helper in the sewing room. She helped me trace and cut the perforated frame for the stamp.


I had some perfect fabrics for creating the stamp background, and so I fused the "frame" to the background fabric. Also, I took a little creative license with the layout of the stamp. The globe on the original stamp bothered me. I wanted something that looked less stylized, and so I recreated one that included what was then Cape Canaveral in Florida.


The most difficult part was deciding how to recreate the space capsule. This was fused together on a teflon pressing sheet...


And then moved to the background for fusing and top-stitching.


The most tedious part of this quilt was cutting out those little letters. Here again, I took some creative license, moving the "Project Mercury" lettering to the top of the design to avoid covering the globe.


After that, it was ready for top-stitching. It was first layered with its batting, and top-stitched through the batting. 


It's a little difficult to see, but the background fabric is glittery with stars. Nevertheless, I tried adding some hot fix crystals to give it a little more sparkle. They don't show very well against the glittery background.


All that I needed to do then was to add the backing fabric, do a little more quilting, and then bind it. This is my finished quilt:


It ended up at 13 x 20 inches. Here's how it looks from the back.

I hope you like my quilt! I still haven't attempted to make a quilt from a human face, but I'll save that for another time. 

To see more "Headline" quilts, visit The Endeavourers blog and see how others interpreted the theme.

25 comments:

Barbara said...

Life, forever dying to be born afresh, forever young and eager, will presently stand upon this Earth as upon a footstool, and stretch out its realm amidst the stars. ~ H. G. Wells

Mary C said...

Very creative and put together well! It must have been fun to think of possibilities for your design!

Unknown said...

Good morning, I really liked your progress throughout your creative decisions. Great result.

Charlotte M. said...

That turned out really well Barbara! I love the way you put it all together. Great fabric choices too.

Janet Mack said...

Very cool. I'm glad you honored the project rather then the man. Only because there were so many more people involved in it. Your helpers are very cute and do a wonderful job.

Kathy E. said...

So well done, Barbara! Your attention to detail and making sure your rear was covered as far as copyright is to be congratulated! A 4 cent stamp seems ancient in these times, as well as those first flights into space. Just think ...now folks can buy a "ride" into space just like at an amusement park!

Connie W. said...

What a great event to remember and what a terrific job you did! I bet you are doing a happy dance that this project met your mental image so well! Thanks for sharing.
Connie

Teresa aka MarieSews said...

Barbara, what a cool quilt!!!! Yes, I do remember exactly where I was when I heard about the Kennedy assassination. First grade classroom w/ Sister Mary Clare in tears when the announcement came over the PA system.

I also remember watching some of the rocket launches but my Mom was of the opinion that the money spent on the race to get to the moon could be better spent on earth so she sometimes refused to watch which meant we didn't watch either :).

And I do remember when it cost 4 cents to mail a letter. My dad was a letter carrier and a stamp collector. We always knew what the cost of a stamp was.

Thank you for the memories. I LOVE your quilt!!!!

I might have to make a stamp quilt in honor of my dad.

THANK YOU!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing finish, Barbara! I love everything about it! And I cannot imagine cutting that little scalloped edge!! Glad you had your kitty assistants to help bring this one to a great finish! Thanks so much for sharing!
Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Cathy Smith said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! You really outdid yourself on this one!

I have just a couple of years on you. My first "space" memory is Alan Shepard's "Man, what a ride!". I was so into the space program at 9 -10 years old I could name all of Mercury astronauts.

The day of the Kennedy assassination our school principal, Mrs. Hodges, went room to room and broke the news. I can only begin to imagine how difficult that was for her to keep repeating that message.

Anonymous said...

What a great quilt! I’m so impressed with your scalloped border. Thanks for the inspirational sharing.

Denise :) said...

Barbara, what a fabulous piece! You did a terrific job on it. Brava! :)

Jenny said...

That's amazing! You can be very proud of yourself creating this little quilt. I like the way you looked at the stamp idea and made a few adjustments to suit your vision. Well done, I'm most impressed!

Cherie in St Louis said...

I love it! I knew it was a stamp from the sneak peaks.

Vicki W said...

I think it's awesome!

Sara said...

A wonderful little quilt. I really love how you did the stamp edges. Creativity!! I am the same age as you - in 4th grade at the time of the Kennedy assassination. And I remember being in 2nd grade and listening to the radio in our classroom about the Glenn orbits.

Claire said...

I love the journey from idea to finished product!

Roxana said...

I love your little quilt, I was an avid follower of the space program getting up in the early morning to watch all the lift-offs. I wasn't a little kid, either! You did good and I liked yours the best of all the others I saw. Keep up the good work, lady, I follow you every morning with my cup of joe.
Roxana Marsh

Christine said...

Beautiful!
Well thought out, love it.

glena said...

very cool!! your creativity and housekeeping methods inspire me. thank you. must also comment on the enjoyment I get following your travels and insightful info. glena/ Ohio

Pam Dempsey said...

Just beautiful :)

Susan said...

I knew from your clues that it would be a stamp and have to do with outer space. You did a great job on the whole quilt and I know how hard it is to make the stamp border as I had to design a stamp in one of my graphic arts classes. I am not sure what grade I was in but I remember John Glenn coming to my elementary school and talking to us about his space trips and being an astronaut. I also have some unused 3, 4 & 5 cent stamps from back then.

Cathy said...

Beautiful piece, Barb! We’re the same age, and I too remember John Glenn going into space. And Hawaii becoming a state, and of course the Kennedy Assassination (I was playing four square ball on the playground).

You sure did a great job of creating all the elements of your art quilt. Adding the Florida coastline was inspired!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I must say that this one was worth the wait to see! Very clever and very well done too. I'm sure John Glenn would be proud of you!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What a great job on that quilt. John Glenn was a good inspiration, too. I attended John Glenn Jr. High in Texas.