10/31/21

Happy Halloween

Here we are on the last day of October...gateway to the Christmas season. Already I'm seeing Christmas trees decorating stores. Not to be a Christmas curmudgeon, but it's a little too early for me. 

We had an action-packed weekend with our out-of-town friends...with as much action as we can muster at our age. Happily, the weather was sunny, even if it was a bit chilly. We had a nice visit Friday evening before heading off to bed. Saturday morning, Mike and I had appointments for our Moderna boosters. We're both glad to have that done. Mike's arm was a little sore last night. This morning, I feel just slightly unwell, but not nearly as badly as I felt after my flu shot two weeks ago. Now I hope we're finished with vaccines for at least a little while. 

After that, we had lunch at a nearby favorite cafe, and then we headed out to visit one winery near our home at Domaine Drouhin. The wineries are pretty this time of year. Sadly, the leaves were mostly blown off the grape vines, but here's a picture of the same winery taken a couple of years back.


When we arrived back home, I found a package from my dear friend Robin. I asked Robin to score some more socks for me from the Old Country Store in Intercourse, Pennsylvania. Robin introduced me to these Solmate Socks when we spent the day together shopping the quilt shops of Lancaster County. The socks come in the most beautiful bright colors, and they are so soft and comfy to wear. You might notice that the sock colors match without matching, if that makes sense. Robin picked out these pretties for me:


Aren't they fun? Also, she noticed the scissors I stitched on an earlier Calendula Patterdrip quilt block, and sent along these pretty scissors.


These are going straight into my embroidery box where they'll get used every single day. Thank you, Robin.

On the sewing front, I've been stitching away at the Kitty Cat Alphabet. After my last post, I stitched up the next hooping:


Then, I moved my hoop down and to the left, stitching up the bottom left corner this morning.


Now I've moved my hoop to the right, and you can see this piece is very nearly finished.


In other sewing, I did the top-stitching and sewed the button embellishment on the Get Well Kitty wall-hanging.


It was one of the few times we saw Sadie over the past couple of days. She does not like it when strangers are in the house, and so she's been hiding out in her clubhouse.


As for the buttons, I was disappointed to find the nurse's hat button missing from my button packet. It's been many years since I purchased the pattern and button pack, and so there's little recourse for me now. This is the picture from the pattern cover.


If I were feeling very energetic, I might try to figure something out for this, but my energy level is waning. I'm going to go ahead with quilting and binding it, and call it finished. If ever I see this button in my quilt shop travels, I'll add it later. Today I'll be linking up to:


Like many of us in the northern USA, we were kind of excited at the prospect of seeing the Northern Lights last night. We checked several times throughout the night, but saw nothing. (These hyped celestial events are nearly always disappointing.) There's hope for tonight again, but we aren't counting on it.

Today is a free day. I'm seriously considering a morning nap, and then I'll get back to my sewing. Happily the roofers will be here tomorrow to finish the job, and so napping is at a premium today with banging and pounding resuming tomorrow. I hope y'all have a happy and safe Halloween, however you celebrate it. May your sewing rooms remain unhaunted.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and caldron bubble. ~ From Shakespeare’s Macbeth

Betty said...

My scaredy cat Vincent hides under the bed if he hears a strange voice in the house. Happy Halloween! Extra treats for the kitties!!

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects! Happy Halloween!

Katie said...

Those socks are fun, but I would struggle when doing laundry. I'd probably have to buy two pairs that would create two matched pairs for proper laundry protocol! As for unhaunted - I bought a chirpy bird toy for Gabby, my formerly feral, as she likes toys that make noise. Toby stole it, but that was okay because it chirped a whole one time after the protective plastic strip was removed. I bought another and it...well...makes a noise like a drowning robot bird. She liked it and didn't put it in the water bowl (the fate of the, ironically, chirping fish toy that also sounds like a drowning robot bird...well...it did), and it continues to noise (we can't call this chirping), but not when someone pokes it, as it is supposed to. From the dresser (where she prefers I place her toys on a regular basis so she can frequently test gravity), it noised about every hour or two the last two nights. It is on the dresser all by itself. No cats. Nothing even near it. And I truly doubt the air from the furnace is making it up two stories AND a 5-foot dresser to trigger it. So either we have a ghost that hasn't shown itself in the 20 years we've been here, or the bird toy is haunted. Bonus is that the noise is fairly disturbing and, in the middle of the night, scares the cats and I! Not so much Gabby, but maybe she sees the ghost? Maybe the ghost is Emma-No, the cat that thought everything, including plants, belonged on the floor? A very frustrated Emma-No because the bird is still on the dresser.

CathieJ said...

Those scissors are beautiful. I like those socks also, but they are a little too bold for me. That winery view is gorgeous. So sorry that Sadie felt the need to hide. She is adorable in that photo.

bcarlf said...

I love those socks that look like quilts! And the alphabet kitties! You have so much fun.

Jenny said...

They are very snazzy socks indeed, you will have nice warm toes this winter. Love the kitty cat alphabet, it's coming along well.

Denise :) said...

Ha! I *love* the cat alphabet ... what fun! Your pumpkin is very pretty! the stitching really adds to it! I've been to Intercourse, PA (and I have *always* felt the need to add the ', PA' after the town's name—and then giggled and felt like a middle schooler) several times when I lived on the East Coast. Nice score on the socks!! :)

Vicki W said...

I'm with you on the Christmas decorations. It's way too early! The socks are really cool. I was in that store in May but don't remember seeing them.

Robin said...

You are welcome Barbara, it was my pleasure. I love that store and had so much fun choosing socks for you! The lady at the counter told me they have a customer who always buys two identical pairs of those socks so she has exact matching socks because she cannot deal with the mis-match/match. For anyone in that store, the socks are located in the 'other room' part where they keep finished quilts for sale. Your work is gorgeous, as always.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love those socks too - I was lucky to be gifted with a pair last Christmas. So sorry about the missing button - that's frustrating. I don't think it's absolutely necessary to the overall look though.