11/2/21

Lots of Cats

Yesterday's post revealing the recent challenge quilt was pre-written and pre-posted, and so I didn't actually post anything yesterday. It worked out because the Moderna booster I got on Saturday morning had me feeling pretty crummy all day on Sunday. I only mention this because there was nothing blog-worthy going on...not that anything is ever blog-worthy, but usually I have enough to take a stab at it. Sunday...nada. I spent most of the day sleeping. When I wasn't sleeping, I was sitting with my medicinal cat, working on my Kitty Cat Alphabet.


With Sadie's help and purr therapy, I was able to finish up the letter "Z".


You might think "Z" would finish it off, but I still had some stitching to do in the right-hand corner. Most of the rest of the day Sunday was spent finishing it off.


There was just a little left to do yesterday morning.


So I finished all of the cats and vines and it was ready to be made into a quilt. Here's how it looked when I took it out of the hoop.


It needed the basting stitches removed, and then I pressed it. Here it is looking neat and tidy.


Smitty helped me choose fabrics for the borders.


He really liked this one for the outer border fabric.


The cats all have pink noses like his.


I decided to add a half-inch stop border between the two, just to bring out the pink in the cat noses a little.


Digging through my other cat fabrics, I decided on this one for the back. It seemed fitting with the alphabet theme. There are lots of stories about cats included.




Now it's basted and ready for quilting. I might finish it off today. I'm still mulling over the day's activities.


Before I do anything else, I'm going to stitch up November's Posie block. It's ready to go now. I'm doing this one in orange since I skipped over orange back in September.


Also, it's time to choose a goal for November's:


I haven't selected a goal for OMG since last August, when I failed miserably at getting all those quilt tops sandwiched. With those done, I can choose something a little more fun. For November's goal, I'm going to quilt and bind the last of the quilts I'd sandwiched the previous go-round. This quilt was made from a panel, and I call it "Fancy Cats."


I'm still mulling over how I'll do the quilting for this, but I have some ideas about it.

Also, thanks to several of you who pointed out I could find the missing nurse cap button on Etsy. 


The shipping cost more than the buttons, and I had to order six when I only need one. I'll probably give the rest of the buttons to some nurse friends of mine. For now, I've set aside Get Well Kitty until the buttons come. I'd like to sew the button on before I do the quilting. The rest are all sewn through the batting before the backing was added. I can still peel back the backing and sew on the button and then stick it back down again for quilting.

I'm happy to say our roof is finished. Yay. I couldn't get a very good picture in this dim morning light, but I think you get the idea. It's made up of interlocking aluminum shingles, and has a 50-year warranty. We won't have to put on another roof until we're 117 and 119. One of my friends told me I'd have to give up the meth if I wanted to live that long. Indeed. See that dormer window on the right side? That's where I'm sitting right now. Hi there!


Okay, so let's see what else I can get finished today. Nothing else on the calendar, so it's going to be a good day. I hope you have a good day planned for yourself too. Oh yes, and so I cheated and posted early for November 1st, Happy November, my friends!

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Don't wait until the fourth Thursday in November, to sit with family and friends to give thanks. Make every day a day of Thanksgiving! ~ Charmaine J. Forde

mckie2 said...

I really like your metal shingle roof. I was not aware that metal roofs were available as shingles. Wish I'd known 5 years ago. Ha! Kitty alphabet is pretty cute, too. Have a good day, Susan in NC.

Quilting Babcia said...

Your house looks so good with the new roof! Always good to have those weather dependent projects across the finish line before the snow flies. And it's flying here this afternoon intermittently now but we may have 1-3 inches by tomorrow. So glad to have that new furnace running.

Cherie in St Louis said...

Your embroidery is beautiful, such even smooth lines. I love , love, love the pink and black borders you and Smitty picked out!

Julierose said...

Those alpha kitties are just so darn cute--Love the pink nose fabric border...nice work hugs, Julierose

Darlene S said...

Bummer that you didn't feel well after your 3rd Moderna jab. I was hoping there wouldn't be any side effects for #3. But I'll now plan a buffer day for when I get mine. I should know more on Monday as I wanted to discuss timing with my doctor. I'm basically pondering something you might be pondering.....IF this is a six month coverage will we need another booster in six months, if not will Canada let us enter their border next summer? Or would February be better for my booster #3. You have made great progress on your Kitty Alphabet and Smitty did an excellent job picking out border fabrics. Purrfect for your lovely stitchery. And I like your November goals. Lastly, your new roof looks amazing. Like a home shown in a magazine. Beautiful roof (and home). Awesome.

Sara said...

The roof looks great. Thank goodness for the medicinal kitties helping you feel better. The alphabet project turned out adorably.

Susan said...

The new roof looks great with your house. I love the pink inner border on the kitty alphabet. It really does a nice job of bringing out the pink noses. I like the stories on the backing too.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Sorry about the unwell after the jab - not fun. Here in Ontario they've just this week announced that those over 70 can get their booster but only if it's been 6 months since their last shot. That means DH can't get his until just a month before we're due to go out west to visit our kids. I don't know when I'll be able to get mine but it won't be for awhile longer.
Your new roof looks wonderful - and like others mentioned, I didn't know there were metal shingles - any I've seen come in sheets.
Yay that you were able to find the buttons. Maybe you could make little ornaments using the rest for giving to your nursing friends?