11/3/21

Shiftless

It was a lazy day yesterday. My sewing mojo has left me for the past couple of days. Only time will tell if it is returning to the scene today. It's not like me to not fill most of the day with productivity. Life is short, you know, and it feels as if I have to keep moving sometimes so that I don't run out of time. Some days, I have a hard time dragging myself off the couch where I'm snuggled up under a flannel quilt with my Warmie. So, I guess I'm blaming it on the cold weather. Also, it's been raining almost steady for the past two weeks, and it will continue to rain for the next two weeks. We were lucky to get a nice weekend while our friends were here. When they left to return to Texas, they took the sunshine with them.

But that's not to say nothing was accomplished yesterday. For sure and certain, I wanted to finish up the November Posie block. I completed the embroidery...that didn't take long.


After that, I added the borders. I'm doing November's block in orange since I skipped over that in September. 


This is a free BOM from Jenny of Elefantz, but it's also my project for the 2021 Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I'll be linking up there on Saturday.


Of course, I finished that up under the watchful eye of Himself. He was testing the Kitty Cat Alphabet for snuggleability. It kind of looks like it's getting a passing grade, doesn't it?


After that I wandered around the house bumping into walls, trying to decide what to do next. I could quilt the Kitty Cat Alphabet. Or, I could get a start on November's OMG project by quilting the Fancy Cats Quilt. Or, I could start on the next Calendula Patterdrip block. Or, I could take a nap. The nap won the day, and when I woke up, I was in the same position as before...wandering around the house bumping into things. Finally, I decided to get a start quilting the Fancy Cats quilt. But when I went to my mid-arm machine, I found all the maps and guide books, and Milepost, and other materials I'd left there when I interrupted last week's attempt at planning a tentative route for next summer's trip to Alaska. No time like the present, I thought. And so I spent a good part of the afternoon finishing that up. 

Here are the route maps I created using Google Maps. As an explanation, I can only enter ten destinations on Google Maps, and then I have to start with a new blank page. So each new page starts with the last destination from the previous page. 


This is only a tentative trip. It won't be finalized until I've made some RV park reservations. As it stands, the only reservation we have is in Healy, Alaska, where we'll stay while we visit Denali National Park. Mike wanted to be there on the longest day of the year: June 21st. 


After that, we'll head south toward Seward and the Kenai Fiords National Park. There will be some cruises and some bus tours involved at some of our stops. Also, I've learned to give us plenty of time at each stop, so we'll have some free time for relaxing and spur-of-the-moment sight-seeing. It's a 10-week trip of approximately 6,600 miles (not including sight-seeing).


Some of our destinations were chosen simply for the number of miles we'd be traveling in a single day, and none of this is written in stone yet. COVID restrictions are still in place for crossing the Canadian border. I'm hoping things will be different at the end of May, 2022, but there's no guarantee of that. As it stands, proof of vaccine is required, and a negative COVID test within the previous 72 hours is also required. That part could be tricky, and I'm not sure what it means when multiple border crossings are involved. It could turn into quite a hassle. I can't get too worked up about it at this early date since a lot can change in the next six months or so. It could be that the border will close again too. As with so many things involving travel, we'll just have to wait and see. Travel and flexibility must go hand in hand.

So with that finished, I still had time in the day, and I returned to my now clean mid-arm machine where the Fancy Cats quilt has been hanging out literally for months.


I noticed Sadie was napping on the kitty bed that was provided for them long ago. It hardly ever gets used, and so I was happy to see her snuggled up there.


And that flash photo bothered her, so she covered her eyes.


I'd already selected threads for this project. I'm using this Aurifil variegated aqua thread on top.


This next documentation is for my own reference. I'm often looking back at my blog to remind me of things I've done. It's a 50 weight thread.


For the bobbon, I chose a similar thread, but solid aqua, rather than variegated.


It's essentially the same thread, just in a different color.


Mr. Fancy Pants was snoopervising the testing of thread tension.


The only idea I have about quilting this quilt is to follow along with the paisley design. Each cat has a paisley pattern, and so I quilted over some of the lines and outlined the cat and her face.


Here's how that looks from the back. It's okay, but I'd like to do that traveling with a little more accuracy. This isn't great, but I'm leaving it as is, and I'll work to get better traveling accuracy as I go.


Each cat block has a narrow paisley border, and I'm doing some feathering there.


As for the rest of the quilt...I have no idea what I'm going to do. I'll have to see what I quilt when I get there. In a previous life, I worked for an attorney who had a framed embroidery design hanging in her office. It said, "How do I know what I mean 'til I see what I say?" That's exactly how I feel about quilting. Sometimes I know what to do. Most times I don't, and I wait to see what my hands decide.

This morning I took the first stitches on the next Calendula Patterdrip block. It's a large block, and I'll be stitching on it for quite some time.


In all of this, I'm thinking about what projects to take along when we head south for the winter. I've decided I'm going to do as I did with Grandma's Thimbles on our last trip. When we head south, I'm going to print all the Blackwork Baskets onto some Sticky Fabri-Solvy...


and then work on that single project while we're traveling. In preparation, I've ordered more of the Sticky Fabri-Solvy sheets and I've scanned in all the patterns. I'll print them out when I receive my order. Also, I selected this fabric to use as the background and ordered 1-1/2 yards for this project.


I wanted something rustic looking for this project. There were other fabrics I liked, and it was hard to choose. In the end, I went with a fabric that wouldn't distract from the embroidery too much. Oh yes, and I needed more black embroidery floss. That too is on order. 

Okay, so for not doing much yesterday, I managed to prattle on in my usual verbose way. Today might be a little more productive, but don't count on it. Eventually the gray weather will weigh less heavily. For now, I'm settling in for the cold and wet to come.

16 comments:

Barbara said...

Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired. ~ Jules Renard

Nancy said...

Many many years ago, my husband and I cruised the inland passage to Alaska. We stopped in a couple of your destinations. My credit card melted down in Skagway. Actually when I went to use it a second time my CC company decided it was being used somewhere I did not normally shop and blocked it. Who knew that I needed to let them know I was traveling. Luckily I hit the quilt store first. We have thought about driving to Alaska a couple of times since then but my husband always worried about the distance between gas stations. I am betting that it is better now than it was in the last century when we heard horror stories from friends. Vehicles are more energy efficient these days also. And now I feel ancient and think maybe I need a nap.

Betty said...

I thought I was the only one that wondered around the house bumping into walls. LOL Thanks for making me feel less alone! The kitty paisleys are going to be beautiful.

Denise :) said...

I adore you Posie stitchery! So sweet! Your Alaska trip looks amazing! What a fun time to be up there, too! I like the quilting on your paisley cat. That's such fun fabric. I got the panel in both the white and the black. I like the background fabric you've chosen for your project. It reminds me of Moda's crackle line (Kathy Schmitz) which I use a lot! :)

Ruth L. said...

A 10-week overland trip to Alaska would overwhelm me, regardless of the scenery. Like Harry Callahan, this woman knows her limitations. Color me jealous. I look forward to sharing your trip vicariously.

I wish I had some words of wisdom to offer on your battle against sewing lethargy but it's a battle I fight all too often. Deadlines are the only consistent weapon I wield successfully. Well, that and gaining momentum from the progress of bloggers.

"How do I know what I mean 'til I see what I say?" That quote ruffled my feathers so I researched it. In one case it's used as an argument against logic, which is how I took it and not how I'd like a lawyer to mean it. In another case it relates to how thought and expression are crucial to choosing the precise words in a successful poem. If the latter is how the lawyer meant it I would say that it could be expressed more precisely. But I think your meaning is the former: your quilting's more right-brained (artistic) than left-brained (logical). As you have probably guessed, I'm more of a left-brained person. ;-}

Jenny said...

Planning your trip to Alaska will be fun, no doubt you have done lots of research of what to see and do along the way. Covid certainly adds some apprehension to the mix, certain ly as far as getting tests and results as you travel over borders. Just think of the travel stories you will be telling!

Sara said...

Your trip to Alaska sounds amazing. We did a 7 day Alaskan cruise almost 20 years ago and it was wonderful. We keep talking about doing it again but things always seem to come up. I can’t imagine a 10 week trip. Wow!! So much to see and do.

Kate said...

The Posie block turned out beautifully. Is that the last one? Your trip to Alaska looks like fun, you'll deinitely be covering a lot of ground. I'm glad you mentioned the Sticky Fabri-Solvey in the blog post. The SIT wanted me to ask you what you used. She's wanting to do some emboridery on clothing and she's not having a lot of luck with the marking pens, she was hoping there was something else she could use to transfer a design. Happy stitching this week.

piecefulwendy said...

My sewing mojo has definitely left the building, with post-writing close on its heels. You've gotten a lot done, despite a lack of sewing mojo. Will be interesting to follow your planning for the Alaska trip!

Vicki W said...

When my sewing mojo leaves I make myself clean closets. Nothing brings it back faster! Your trip sounds like so much fun. I wish my husband had an interest in some long road trips. I think his years in the Navy quashed his desire to leave home.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Days of non-ending greyness outside don't lead to productivity inside I find, especially when they seem to drag on forever. Once of the many reasons I hate winter.
I'm looking forward to going on the Alaska trip with you - vicariously of course!

Linda said...

A very pretty embroidery. You have a lovely cat, great photos. The cat quilt is super.

Sherrie said...

Hi,
I can relate to the sewing mojo gone missing....some days I don't get any sewing in...just sit and watch t.v. But it eventually comes back..just wait for it. Love all your projects...and I really like
those paisley cats. Have a great day!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice start on the Fancy Cats quilting, Barbara! Sounds like you've got a good plan for your winter stitching. That's quite some trip you're planning for next summer!

sue s said...

Your Alaska trip sounds wonderful! We are going too next summer but on a 14 day cruise. You should know that there was a landslide in Denali and you'll only be able to go part way down the road. We are waiting to hear what the cruise line will offer us because we were to be there 3 nights. But I will enjoy hearing about your trip. I hope you feel better soon.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

While in Talkeetna, get some spinach bread (vendor cart, yummy) and there is a quilt shop on the 2nd floor of one of the gift shops (towards the end of the street, nearest the food vendors). Also, there are at least 5 quilt shops in Anchorage (where my son's family lives). There is also a quilt shop at Denali. It was cloudy the day we were there, so we couldn't see the top of Denali.