7/3/21

The Last Minute

It's been a busy couple of days, and today will be no different. Today I'll be cooking some food to take along on our camping trip, and I'll be packing food into the camper. Clothing will wait until tomorrow. Our camping spot at Mayfield Lake in Washington is only a couple of hours away, and so we won't need to fly out the door too early tomorrow. It just means I've been able to put off more things until the last minute. And I'm afraid the last minute has arrived.

But let's back up to yesterday, shall we? Our day started with a lot of complaining from the back seat of our truck as we packed Smitty and Sadie in for a visit to the vet. They were not happy at all about this, and they let us know it. Sadie sat behind Mike's seat.


Smitty was behind me. Both were offended at this encroachment on their civil liberties. The yowled all the way to the vet: What about our furreedoms? This is clearly a violation of our rights to furreedom and libpurrty under The Catstitution! 


Sadie was just there for immunizations. Smitty's day was worse. He had to submit to the indignities of a physical exam. Oh, the humanity! I can kind of see the wheels turning in his head. I have an idea he's saying, "I will keel you!"


When we got home, he sought refuge in his favorite off-limits comfort zone.


They got a clean bill of health, but I'm afraid with three vaccines and worming medicines to boot, they were both a little off their games yesterday. Smitty spent most of the day sleeping on the dining room chair.


Sadie likes this spot in the bright sunshine next to the sliding glass door. Besides...that little sliver of light could come to life as a lightsaber if necessary. 


I finished up the center panel for the short embroidery project I was working on. After our visit to the vet and the incessant squalling from the back seat, I'm having second thoughts about this verse:


Of course, it still needs a quilt built around it, but that will have to wait for later.


With the morning's trip into town finished, I went to work on the next batch of cherries. Yesterday, I put up four pints of Cherries in Syrup. This is pretty easy. With the two jars I have left from last year, that gives me half a dozen pint jars, which should see us through until next year's cherry crop.


When I made these the first time, I was just trying to figure out ways to use all the cherries from our trees. Then, I realized these were perfect for my Skillet Cherry Cobbler for Two


Now, they are a mainstay on our pantry shelf. Also, they're good over vanilla ice cream. And, if you're feeling really indulgent, get this: Cherry cobbler with vanilla ice cream with more cherries on top. Food of the gods, for sure.

While those were processing, I finished pitting the remaining cherries and bagged them up for freezing. I'll use these to make Sweet Cherry BBQ Sauce when we get home.


Okay, so I still had watering to do. When I finished that, I made my way to the sewing room and added the final three columns to the Sonora Desert piece. I'm calling this a "background" now because I have lots of ideas about how I'm going to add some elements to it and, hopefully, bring it to life. 


I wanted to show you how I dealt with some of the smallest pieces of the quilt, and this is another technique I learned in Ann Shaw's class. The cross-hatching on my ironing board cover is one-inch squares to give you some idea what I'm talking about when I say this is for the "smallest pieces."


This section on the pattern looks like this:


So I sewed together a swatch of the two colors I needed.


And then, I cut the pattern templates as a whole. From the wrong side of the fabric (it's like applique), I placed the drawn seam line directly over the line of stitching, and then pressed the freezer paper to the fabric.


Then, I trim all around it, leaving a quarter-inch seam allowance...


Turning it over, voila! There's my piece ready to be sewn into the whole.


And you can see where it goes there on the right side of the finished quilt.


I'd been thinking about how to finish this off, and I have lots of ideas. First, I selected a fabric from my stash that I thought would make a nice border and backing. I believe I picked this up on our last winter trip.


I'll use a narrow stop border between the two, but I haven't decided on a color yet. I want to add either a full-circle sun or a sun rising over the mountain tops. I have some gold fairy frost fabric for that. Also, I'll add some machine stitched parallel lines across the piece as machine quilting, and I'll hand quilt some rays from the sun using metallic gold floss. In the wanderings of my imagination yesterday, I remembered these Shiva Paintstiks. I have two sets, but I these "irridescent" colors are the ones I'm thinking about. I'll use those to add in more color to the landscape. There is color detail in the photo that I wasn't able to capture in the fabric. This is all going to require a bit of experimentation, but that will have to wait until we get back.


For now, I have the piece pinned to the poster board and propped up where I can see it in the sewing room. I'll circle it for a bit before adding the finishing touches.

Now here's something fun. While we were sitting at the vet yesterday, our neighbor texted me these two images of two barred owls sitting on our gate. What fun! You might recall when I posted about their night calling. Click here for the audio recording. We hear the birds every night, and their call is surprisingly LOUD! So, it was great fun seeing them in these images. 



Okay, so I used my slow-stitching time this morning to make up the next block for the Posies quilt. I'll take this along for stitching while we're gone.


There's lots to do today. I need to hoe the garden one last time. Fortunately, the weeds are getting fewer and fewer as I hoe them off at ground level. I'll be making several dishes ahead, which just makes the camping trip more enjoyable. Also, I have a pedicure appointment. I absolutely don't have time for the pedicure today, but my nail tech rescheduled on me, and so I'm making it work.

I'll be signing off while we're gone. We've been camping at this same spot nearly every summer since Erik was a baby. You can read about last summer's trip right here and the summer before that right here. And really, this trip is just for fun and relaxation, so there won't be much happening that's different from every other year. But here's something: My 11th blogiversary is coming up on July 13th. Yeah. For 11 years, I've prattled on day after day, month after month, year after year. I'm surprised you're all still here listening to me babble on. So as a reward for your hard work and friendship, I'll be giving away this 10 fat quarter bundle of fabrics:

You don't need to do anything now. I'll tell you how to enter when I return. Until now...stay safe and stay cool. 

Oh yes, and Happy Fourth of July to my American friends! 

If y'all could not burn down half the country with your patriotism, that would be great. Signing off from the Three Cats Ranch.

21 comments:

Barbara said...

It will be celebrated with pomp and parade, bonfires and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other. ~ John Adams

Frog Quilter said...

What a fun post regarding the kitties. Such a hard life they have. Have fun camping 🏕.

MissPat said...

Have a great trip. Got to rest up for all the harvesting you'll be doing when you return.
Pat

gpc said...

How wonderful of your neighbor to text you the owls! I would love to see some around here, they have been on my bucket list for a l-o-n-g time, although I did get to see the little screech owl that rested in my christmas wreath several years ago. I can't wait to see the mountains take on their detail, it is amazing to me how you make things come to life.

piecefulwendy said...

Enjoy your trip! Happy 4th!

Terri in BC said...

Enjoy your trip! I love reading your blog, it's one of the ones I check daily. Now if I could only update mine on a regular basis! Retirement goals, I guess.

Joan G said...

Love your desert quilt! Can’t wait to see the final product. I was going to suggest the posie block as stitchery you could do on the road, but I see you already traced it out. Great minds! Have a fun trip!

Julierose said...

Hope your trip is safe and wonderful...and that your 4th is spectacular...

Just love how that desert quilt is coming together...
hugs, Julierose

Elaine walker said...

I am so enjoying watching the progress on the mountain quilt. Fascinating. Enjoy your trip, and happy 4th.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You sure did pack a whole lot into that precious last minute! I'm loving your quilt - such perfect colours and a very interesting technique.
As for fireworks - there's a moron (and I use that term very firmly) that night after night lets off fireworks just across the river from us. Tonight (not even July 1st which is supposed to be cause for celebration) he is outdoing himself. Even to the point of putting up burning lanterns. What if one of those lands on someone's roof and causes a fire....to say nothing of the noise that has to be upsetting to children and animals. AND to say nothing of the sheer amount of money he's wasting....probably hundreds of dollars. As I said - moron.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

p.s. - meant to say - have a great trip!

Cathy said...

Have a fun and relaxing trip! Alfie and Darla stand - well, they more accurately curl - up in solidarity with Smitty and Sadie. Darla was wondering why they can’t develop a scanning thermometer for cats since they have one for humans. Happy Fourth!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love your landscape piece. Cute stitcheries (I'm a 2 cat limit person). Enjoy your vacation. Enough neighbors are setting off fireworks, that I can watch in the yard.

Darlene S said...

Good to hear the kitties are cleared to go on another trip with you, even if they are infurriated with you for taking them to the vet. Have fun, stay cool & safe.

kc said...

Whew! What a day!!! Sounds like a week of mine! Quilt is coming a long nicely. Thanks for the explanation, I had been wondering how that's was all managed!

Enjoy your bad at...we have been grounded due to ....well, first it end as pandemic induced difficulty in getting out now Jeep outfitted for towing, then it was....umm...ok, I'll say it...I fell asleep while driving..and crashed our new Jeep into our new truck. Yep, truth. So now, we are grounded even more, waiting on parts, supposedly pandemic related delays, to fix our Jeep, to get it ready fir towing outfit reschedule. Plus, there's this little storm brewing, headed directly for our area. Was originally going directly over our old house, where you visited, but its path has veered slightly, and now it's plan is to come a little closer to our current house. Up for a party anyone?

Susan said...

Have a great and relaxing trip. I feel the kitties indignities when I have to go to the doctor, so my sympathies to them.

bcarlf said...

I look forward to your blog each and every day. I love following your adventures - quilting or otherwise.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Your landscape quilt looks great, and I look forward to seeing what you are doing with the paint sticks. When I first saw it, I imagined it would be made improv style.

Mary Nelson said...

I am very interested in your landscape quilt, it is coming along nicely. Have a wonderful relaxing trip, will be watching for your return. WOW, 11 years, I have loved every one of the last 5 years that I have been following. I am in love with your owls, so very intriguing.

Kate said...

Sonora Desert is coming along beautifully. I really like that batik you pulled to audition for the border. Happy 11th Blogsiversary! Enjoy your camping trip. Wishing lots of R&R and hand stitching time.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your blog. It is first on my "to do" list each day. I forwarded your blog to my sister, who is closely supervised by three, very controlling cats. Her duties include night duty, feeding and tending to an older cat who cannot hear. She instantly became a Cat Patches fan.

Thank you for providing us with topics of great conversation, laughter and, oh yes, beautiful embroidery and quilts. Looking forward to your next blog adventure.

Myra Allen
allen5581@bellsouth.net