1/6/21

All Together Now

This morning's post is late. I'll just say I've been watching the news with rapt fascination at what's happening in our nation's capital this morning. I was a teenager in the 60's during protests of the Vietnam war, but I've never seen anything to equal what we're witnessing today. That's all I'm going to say about it because politics is not what we're about here. Still, these are historic times. It makes me wish I could be alive 50 years from now to read what will be written about this.

But let's just get back to the really important things in life: Cats. Yes, cats would never behave with such incivility. In fact, Sadie is just bored with this human silliness. She spent most of yesterday just as you see her here.

She left Smitty to guard the sewing room homefront.

We were most worried about these so-called "snowflakes." And we just happen to know that snowflakes can erupt into "flurries" every so often, and so we took no chances when we laid these out for sewing yesterday.

Don't worry, Little Lady. I'll purrtect you!

And so he did. Not a single snowflake was seen leaving the surface of the table throughout the sewing day. And this is just what I'm talking about. Look to cats to teach us about civility.

This turned out to be a little more taxing on my arm than expected. There was a lot of ironing involved, and the iron is still difficult to heft. I sewed the top half together and then took a good long rest.

When I returned, I sewed the remainder together, and the center part of the quilt was finished.


It was tempting to move along and work on the borders, but I decided to stick with the limit I'd set for myself. 

Instead, Mike and I engaged in the team effort of baking a Skillet Cherry Cobbler for Two for last night's dessert. This is actually a cobbler for four, but we'll eat it in two sittings. Those are cherries from our trees, and they are so yummy.

While that was baking, I did some more slow-stitching. When I first returned to embroidery some ten years ago, I was having problems with a mysterious chronic pain syndrome. It both came and went on its own, and there was never a good explanation for it. Whatever the case, I limited myself to two lengths of floss back then, in order not to make my hand hurt. So, I'm observing that limit again now, which means my slow stitching is extra slow these days. 


I'm getting used to this slower pace, but I'll be happy to pick it up again when my body is a little more cooperative.

So today I'm going to get started sewing three borders on the Snowflakes quilt. These are the fabrics I'm using. I'll be using that dark blue and silvery stripe (actually birch trees if you could see the whole thing) for the binding.


This seems like another day where ironing will be the limiting factor, and so I'll sew on one border and then take a rest before the next. And then I'll just keep going until I have a finished flimsy. If I can have this finished by Friday, I'll be a happy camper when we take off on our trip next week.

Still left to do is to kit up a few projects to take along. It's hard to find a good place to sew in the RV, and so I've decided this year to take only mini quilt projects. A while back, I got on a mini kick and bought a bunch of patterns. I'll take those along and bag up some scraps, and see what I come up with while we're on the road.

Okay, so that's all I have for you. Guess I'll go back and see if the country has burned down while I've been writing this. Looking out my window, everything looks just the same. Stay safe, my friends. These are wild and wooly times we're living.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

allier4 said...

I agree with you, I would like to see what history says...
My Willie was sleeping like that yesterday with his nose under the covers, which he never does. Love those kitties. Hope you're feeling better ever day.

Julierose said...

This is unbelieveable...I just can't...
Julierose

Susie said...

I'm Australian and watching in disbelief. I studied American history at University and was also saying to my friend in Conneticut, 'I wonder what the history books will say of these times.'
What could be more perfect that cats, quilting and stitching.
Take care.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

News is on in the background here and it is simply astounding. 'nuff said! Good thing we have our creative pursuits to give us balance. Oh, and cherry cobbler too!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I only hope that those who incited be charged to the fullest extent of the law. This is not a protest, but terrorism.
Kitties, cherries and pretty snowflakes have to chase the helter-skelter away.

MissPat said...

I tried to distract myself with pink string blocks and was partially successful. I did finish a block, but was distracted by the chaos in DC. I hope the country can survive another 2 weeks. The snowflake quilt looks awesome. Must be all of Smitty's help.
Pat

Tilly said...

Love your snowflakes Barbara. And to end your title give peace a chance.
greetings from the Netherlands.

piecefulwendy said...

Glad you are able to stitch and sew a bit each day, and I hope it goes well for you while you are camping. Some days I think I'd like to be an indoor cat, and just tuck my nose under my paw and sleep rather than watch the events of the day unfold. Have you made that cobbler in the little glass 6" pie dish? Would that work? I think I need to get myself the 6" cast iron skillet.

QuiltGranma said...

I have to keep relearning which foods increase my inflammation and pain in the areas that are bothering me. Sugar, animal products, chocolate... to name a few. That is one of the reasons why we are mostly vegan.

CA Bobbie said...

We were all hoping for a better start for 2021. WHOOPS! But then again I can always hide out in my isolation and keep the world at a knob's turn away. Amazingly there is no end to
the many things I can distract myself with in my own home. Happy trails as you head out.
Be safe and secure.