12/13/20

Slow Motion

Another day of same old, same old. My mobility increases a tiny bit each day. I went without a sling all day yesterday, trying to keep my arm moving naturally. Eventually, I find myself holding my right hand with my left, and my shoulder raised. I’m trying to keep the shoulder down in a more natural position. I’m told gravity will help keep the splintered bones in place and help to settle them into a natural position. Having seen the CT scan, it makes sense. When I was at the emergency department the afternoon of the accident, I was asked to lower my arm to the side and then extend it out at about a 45 degree angle...and there was just no way I could move my arm at all. Yesterday, I was able to accomplish that position, and so I know I’m making progress. There’s still a long way to go. It is certainly an exercise in patience and acceptance.

Smitty is thinking he might need to form some kind of labor union with appurropriate catpensation.


We anticipated his demands, and so we ordered this rather expensive...hmmm...not really sure what to call this. It’s sort of a hanging cat tree, tunnel, fort contraption. We ordered from Chewy.com...a company recommended by my friend, Ila. We’ve been very happy with their service. Things ship and arrive quickly, which is good because cats are not good at waiting.

It hangs over a door. This one is in our hallway, and it will also fit the bedroom door of the RV.


This is the brand insignia:


It has several levels with entry holes on the front and sides, and also inside from level to level.


It’s a little hard to photograph and show you, but in this next image, I’m looking through the side hole. You can see there is a hole in the corner, and then it leads to the lower level, where there is a hole in the front.


As you might guess, the kitties are taking the same approach with this that they are taking with the catrona vaccine. They wait to see what happens to others as they gain entry to its inner regions. Both have surreptitiously inspected it as they walk by. We put some kitty toys inside, and also sprinkled a little catnip. We’ve found some of the toys around, and so we push them back a little farther inside. Sadie actually got inside this morning. I wish I could have taken her picture, but I didn’t want to freak her out by jumping up (such as it is) and grabbing the camera. We’re all taking baby steps right now.

Yesterday, I stitched with both hands for a while. I was able to do some stitching with my right hand, pushing the needle through and pulling it through. The pulling motion was given over to the left hand most of the time, and so it was kind of a hybrid two-handed stitching motion. But I really want you to notice the six French knots at the top of the next image. I was able to do those with no problems. Yahoo!


So now my hoop is full. I need to move it. I’ll try to do it myself first, but I can get Mike to help me with it. I’m trying to do as much as I can for myself. Although it is hard to ask for help, that isn’t the reason for trying it on my own. I really hate feeling helpless, and I figure the more I do for myself, the more I will be able to do for myself. Pain is my guiding principle. If it hurts, I won’t do it.

Today will be another day of sitting around for the most part. I’ve watched some things I’ve wanted to watch: Staircase on Netflix is a good true crime miniseries. I don’t know if the guy did it or not. His life ended up pure hell, and so I kind of hope he was guilty. Also, The Bundy Tapes...Ted Bundy...what a creep. I know How to Make a Murderer was popular for a while. I think I might try that one too. We don’t subscribe to many streaming services. Mike gets agitated about the cost of cable...not because we can’t afford it, but because he’s outraged any time prices are raised. And, let’s face it. The cable companies raise their prices a little too frequently. So we have HBO and Showtime, and we have Amazon Prime and Netflix, along with our regular cable subscription. Any recommendations are welcome.


21 comments:

Barbara said...

State what you want, and go for it, don't refuse yourself a request you did not make. ~ Bangambiki Habyarimana, Pearls Of Eternity

Katie said...

I've seen those over-the-door kitty playhouses, but never felt confident they would hold up. So I'll be watching! (But I have a window seat for the kitties of the same brand that has held up very well!) I'm glad to hear every day you're doing a little more for yourself. Sitting around feeling sorry for yourself will never get you healed and back to normal, so keep at it (unless the docs tell you otherwise!). I'm cheering you on from more than halfway across the country, though I'd guess the kitties are less for the cheering and more for the snuggling!

Cathy Smith said...

I love Acorn tv. It's all the Brit shows and series from PBS. A nice handful of Australian shows tossed in for good measure, also. If memory serves me, it's about $60 for and entire year. A bit more if you do a month to month subscription.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So glad you're seeing improvement in your shoulder already! Stitching with both hands sounds like a good solution to the problem of not being able to stitch at all otherwise. That is quite a kitty condo! We gave up cable altogether earlier this year, and now have an antenna on the house for the local channels, and stream Netflix, Hulu, and CBS All Access. It's been working out really well, and we haven't missed cable at all.

gpc said...

We don't do cable -- I WON'T do cable. I was a teen when Comcast came into our small town and bribed officials for access and I have never gotten over my disgust. We stream via netflix and prime and we have disney at the moment because I wanted to see Hamilton and Jack wanted Mandalorian, but we will cancel that when we've had our fill of that. I have heard good things about Acorn and later, when one is caught up on the British mysteries, on Britbox, which has the newer episodes. Thinking about that.

Keeping the shoulder down is hard for me still, but I am told to remind myself and work on it. It will both heal better and ultimately feel better if you can make that a firm habit.

Love your kitty contraption. My kitties had a tree which was pretty revolutionary at the time, but this looks even cooler. Jack and my son are fiercely allergic (and I have developed sympathy allergies along the way) so I have to get my kitty fix through Smitty and Sadie these days; tell them not to be so stingy with the photo ops. :)

Ivani said...

Take care and soon you will be well. Your stitching is great, specially the french knots.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Those french knots are impressive even if you had full use of both arms. You are doing wonderfully stitching. Continue to take care of yourself and I hope you heal quickly.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Yea! Your stitching! I know you needed that. The new kitty cave looks cool.

Anonymous said...

Feel the same way about cable ..look into roku and Hulu ..we get tons of shows, all the local stations and acorn and prime provides the British shows.

DeeDee said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. I love Chewy.com. We've had a lot of luck with them for our kitties as well. Try Wild Wild Country on Netflix. It's insane. I'm also watching the two Manhunt seasons right now. The first one is about the Unabomber and the second is about the Atlanta Olympics bombing. Definitely good! I hope you are continuing to heal and feel better every day. It's so hard to be immobile!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Everything in baby steps - yes, our pain index is one to heed. Now that is a curious contraption for the furkids. I just have to set down a fresh pile of laundry and they are on it.

Christine said...

So pleased for you that you are able to do a bit more stitching.
I'm binging out on Murdoch Mysteries. I was fascinated by thinking the man (set in the 1800s) wore eye liner!!!! Now I'm hooked into the stories and the characters. Continue with your 'small but often' exercises. Wasn't that the basis of Callenetics back in the day?
X

Julierose said...

So pleased to hear that you are doing better; it is hard to hold yourself back and not overdo....hang in there...hugs and good thoughts for healing Julierose

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Glad you are gaining some mobility back, a frozen shoulder is no fun at all. On Netflix, I highly recommend My Octopus Teacher, it was wonderful. We also have enjoyed Queen's Gambit, and learned a lot about the world of competitive chess. I'm still working my way through Heartland, love that show. The Bonfire of Destiny was really engrossing too. So much to binge watch!

piecefulwendy said...

The Highwaymen (Netflix) is a true crime drama about the capture of Bonnie & Clyde, which we enjoyed. Hamilton was fun to watch (with captions); I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. If you want to listen to some fun music videos (they are short) - watch James Corden's Carpool Karaoke (YouTube). Start with the Paul McCartney one. It will brighten your day. Glad you are moving and doing as you can; you are right, moving and doing is good. I'll be watching for updates on that kitty fun.

Vicki W said...

Glad you are stitching! I tend to subscribe to one service at a time, rotating every 6 months or so. I don't watch enough to justify multiple services. Right now I'm working through HBO max.

neesa said...

I've been following your progress and you are doing great. It is very frustrating. I'm disabled and 74 and I get so frustrated at times. You'll get there especially with kitty assistance. I'm pulling for you!!
You might want to try subscribing to Acorn for a bit. British shows are terrific--Midsummer Murders, Murdoch Mysteries, A Place to Call Home, the Great British Baking Show and many more. Netflix also has Derry Girls--really funny. Take care and heal soon.

Lyndsey said...

Your stitches are looking really good and if I didn't know I wouldn't believe there was a problem with your thumb and shoulder. Great work pushing yourself, it's generally the best thing to do but remember to rest when it gets 'ouchy'

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Looks like you're doing pretty well but of course you need to remember to rest a lot and not over do it.
As for shows to watch, we loved (on Netflix) 'Heartland' , 'Virgin River' and 'When Calls the Heart' - nice stores, all. And the other night we watched the musical (movie) 'Jingle Jangles' which was an impressive mix of animation and real life. Something light-hearted and fun seems to be what we need this time of year.

QuiltGranma said...

I'd say you are doing beautifully well already! We only pay for Netflix. We appreciate the free items we can see you you tube. We don't need THE NEWS for sure!

Kate said...

It's so hard to not be able to do your normal activities. At least things are improving each day. Hang in there. Sounds like you are making good progress.