12/12/20

Healing Cats

Can we all paws for just a moment to appurreciate the healing power of the furriest members of our family? I don’t think five minutes have passed since we arrived home last Friday evening that one cat or another hasn’t been by my side, on my lap, sniffing my food, or generally assisting me in some way. 


We drove into town yesterday. I wanted to get a velcro splint for my thumb. I’m getting more use of my thumb, and using it as much as I can tolerate it. Still, at some point, I need to immobilize it and give it a rest. This is a great splint. I can adjust it to give me more or less movement, and it only immobilizes my thumb without immobilizing my wrist too much.


We needed to pick up a few items from the grocery store too. We talked about getting takeout for dinner, but then decided to check out the meal prep kits available at the grocery store. And whaddayaknow? These “Home Chef” kits are the same ones my friend Debi told me about. (Thank you, Debi.) She gets delivery three times per week, and offered to gift us with 3 meals. I wasn’t sure we could get delivery where we live, but possibly we can. Haven’t checked it out yet. In any case, I was surprised by the quality of these. Everything is fresh and cooked at home.


Here’s the little blurb about what was included in our kit.


I like, for Mike’s sake, that it tells you the equipment you’ll need up front, and then gives great instructions about how to make it.


And he was able to whomp up this delicious dinner for the two of us last night. It was really good...and so easy for Mike. (And for me!)


I’ve been writing my posts from my iPad recently. You might notice the pictures take longer to load. (I believe I know what to do about that.) The other problem is that I haven’t been able to include links without going to my computer. So, I’d give you the link for Home Chef here, but you can type it into your search bar and find it yourself. As my friend Marei says, GTS (Google That Sh*t).

Sadly, Mike is on a liquid diet for the weekend for his Colonoscopy 2.0 adventure on Monday. He’ll cook for me if I need it, but I’m going to try to do what I can for myself. I’ll enlist his help if I need to...cutting is a problem, for example. 

Sadie is helping me write this morning’s post.


I’m typing two-handed for the first time today, and wow...it’s like getting a new lease on my blogging life. Possibly I can hold a needle this morning. For sure I’m going to try. I can hold the needle, but the pressure required to pull the eye through the fabric and to the top of the piece was a little too much yesterday. Typing two-handed gives me hope. You can’t keep a good stitcher down for long. (She said, hopefully.)

Edited to add that a few of you have asked about the condition of the bike. Fortunately, I protected the bike with my body (yeah...I did that on purpose), and it was just barely scratched in a few places. Mike has already touched up those areas with paint, and you’d never know it had taken a spill. My camera was in my front chest pocket, thus, ripping my coat there. It too had a little scratch, but it remains fully operational. Thank goodness. Of course, I can’t use it because it has a right-handed shutter. All my photos are on my phone for the time being. Anyway...all of that to say that Mike has also touched up the camera, and everything is fine...well...all the inorganic things are fine.


18 comments:

Barbara said...

Regardless of what challenge you are facing right now, know that it has not come to stay. It has come to pass. During these times, do what you can with what you have, and ask for help if needed. Most importantly, never surrender. Put things in perspective. Take care of yourself. Find ways to replenish your energy, strengthen your faith and fortify yourself from the inside out. ~ Les Brown

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Oh my goodness -she looks so much like my darling Josephine! Beautiful girl!

Julierose said...

Those healing cats are purrfectly amazing...they sense illnesses and injuries and give you their good vibes....
Rest up that thumb (that is what I used on my thumb and it really works well..)
Hugs and good thoughts Julierose

Nancy said...

I am curious. How is Mike going to get to and from his appointment? I am thinking that you have not been cleared to drive for a couple of reasons. Like reaction time and medication on board. I know I had to have a designated driver and person with medical decision power. In the old days they wanted that person sitting in the waiting room I am sure that person now has to stay in the car.

Quilting Babcia said...

So, now that the bike is touched up, is it going on the auction block? I think we should start a Quilters Preservation Society.

MissPat said...

I hope your pain meds aren't preventing you from "fortifying" yourself. I also had the same thought about how Mike was going to handle transportation on Monday. I'm assuming you have a neighbor or friend who can fill in. Take it slow with the needlework. I know you want to be doing something, but you also don't want to set yourself back.
That Korean meal looks delicious.
Pat

Kathy L said...

So glad to hear you are doing better and your sense of humor wasn't damaged.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Re the issue of pulling the needle eye through the fabric - could you aim it with your right hand and do the pulling with your left? Just a thought.
That meal kit looks wonderful - and easy to create too. And I'm glad to hear that you made sure you did your duty and protected the bike and the camera as much as you did. You obviously take your responsibilities most seriously!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Are you going to be able to drive Mike to his appt on Monday? When I feel bad, my dog is always close to me. Our pets can sense when we need them most.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Medicine pets are the best - mine took care of me a couple of days ago when my stomach was off (something I ate). My daughter used these meals when she was laid up with her knee surgery (delivered) - the grands could even help with them.

Sandra W said...

I've never seen a splint like yours. I often put on a thumb spling when it gives me trouble. Mine is an aluminum thing that you put on your thumb and then it has velcro rings to hold the prongs in place. It's completely independent from your wrist. Perhaps when your thumb begins to heal you might want to try one like it. They are about $5.So glad you are doing well.

Tilly said...

Glad to hear that the spirit is ok. And cats are the best healing method.
Wish Mike lots of succes with the liquid diet and hope everything goes well.

SJSM said...

The Les Brown quote is my mantra. Asking for help is the hardest part. Keep healing.

Cherie in St Louis said...

It’s wonderful to see you make healing progress. I mean how could you not with two healing cats on such attentive duty, right? Especially Sadie who can provide her healing powers with such a relatively light touch.

Maria Pilar said...

Hola, hace tiempo que te sigo ya que me encantad tus trabajos, decirte que yo también me cai, y llevo la mano enyesada, ya que me rompí el escafoide. Tengo que olvidar la aguja por un tiempo, aunque intentaré coser un poco a màquina. Espero que tu te recuperes pronto. Un beso desde tierras catalanas

piecefulwendy said...

I've never seen those meal packs, but what a clever idea. The dish looks so pretty and tasty. Glad those kitties are continuing to work their magic. Hope Mike's procedure goes well this time around.

Rebecca said...

You wrote "As my friend Marei says, GTS (Google That Sh*t)."
Marei sounds like my kind of Lady!!!vbg

Take care and don't push it to hard.

QuiltGranma said...

So very glad that you are getting better! Encouraging! Such good nurses you have there, the furry ones.