12/21/20

Sleeper Sunday

We must both have been tired yesterday because we both slept most of the day. We thought we might have trouble getting to sleep last night, but we both slept all night. Maybe the stress from all the recent changes in household responsibilities finally caught up with us, and we needed a day of rest. Whatever caused it, I’m glad we have the freedom to take a day off when we want to.

Smitty was the healing cat on duty yesterday.


Together, we stitched some more on Pieces of the Past. I broke yesterday’s progress into two stitching sessions. It’s not as if anything else is keeping me busy, so there’s no reason not to stitch shorter sessions, and more than one in a day. It seems obvious, but established routines and habits are hard to break.


That was about all that happened the whole live-long day. Mike has been a trooper in the kitchen.


Last night’s Home Chef selection was this one:


We’ve liked each one we’ve tried. It’s a good-sized portion, well seasoned, and easy enough to prepare.


This one came with a little package of mayonnaise and a little package of garlic salt (among other things). We used what we had in the fridge and in the cupboard. It was kind of funny seeing those little pre-measured packages, but it’s what makes these so easy and convenient. I’m not sure how widely available they are, but they’d be a great choice for a spur-of-the-moment camping trip.

Okay, so today will probably look much like yesterday, which means plenty of sitting and sleeping. I’d hoped the sky would clear and we could see the conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter, but no dice. Looks like cloudy and rainy skies through the night. Possibly, the weather will clear up tomorrow, and we’ll see it on the backside. Here’s hoping for clear skies where you are.


15 comments:

Barbara said...

Remember to look up at the stars and now down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up. ~ Professor Stephen Hawking

gpc said...

Wow, if Stephen Hawking could have felt that way, I have no excuses for being such a whiney baby sometimes. Not that I plan to stop. After all, that might be what I am able to succeed at. I looked for those meals here and haven't found them yet, although I think we have some other brand that a friend mentioned trying. If I ever enter a grocery store again, I will be sure to look. I have gone out three nights running to try to see the conjunction with no luck. The sky above seemed clear enough, but there has been either haze or cloud cover nearer the horizon, or I am blind, or I am looking in the totally wrong direction no matter where I look. Whatever the reason, no luck so far, but I plan to keep trying.

Julierose said...

Clouded over here too--we were hoping to get a glimpse of that conjunction...
but noooo, clouds instead--well, perhaps fortune will smile on us and skies will clear...
(FYI your pictures are bland, but if you click on the little window
--top left-- they do come up to view...blogger ghosts again!!)
Sleep is good --I think everything just catches up with you after a while...
it's been really so stressful...
Take care and rest up Hugs from a slowly melting world here Julierose

Sandra W said...

Sleep is the great healer, on many levels.

Quilting Babcia said...

We won't be seeing the Solstice/Christmas star either unless it miraculously clears just before sunset. Which it often does after dreary days like this one. Catching up on sleep is good for the body and spirit.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Rest is a good thing, so enjoy it. Today was the 'run errands' day for the week. We have been a little cloudy today, but hope for some clearing tonight as this will appear on the open side of the Valley for a great viewing of the Christmas Star.

Janarama said...

With all of the cooking Mike is doing, it looks like you'll have a sous chef when your resume the roll of executive chef. Is that a glass of "apple juice" I see on the counter? LOL I love when you post pictures of your healing cats.

SJSM said...

We had a beautiful view of the planet conjunction. It was further up in the horizon than I thought. Saturn is turned on its side with its rings almost perpendicular. Jupiter has blotches which I was told were it’s bands. Hubby has several telescopes, binoculars and even Astro binoculars. We had our social pod on the driveway and street take turns looking through a telescope and binoculars. It was cold (to us) and once back inside I was chilled to the bone and wore my jacket the rest of the evening. Tomorrow I will wear insulated boots when we view. That should help.

Healing cats are great. I love how Smitty is alert to his duties. We are doing curbside pickup for groceries for the first time. At this point the ratio is 1:80 people have Covid. That’s a little higher than I want in being around others even wearing a mask etc. we are hunkering down. Hospitals are at capacity and triage for care will start soon to determine where to spend medical resources. With lung issues, I don’t like my chances. Stay safe, curl up with cats and enjoy your in house chef adventures.

Lyndsey said...

I'm loving your quotes at the top of the comments section. The change in your routines will have tired you both out. Contrary to what my grandmother told me years ago, if I'm tired enough to sleep a lot during the day I also sleep well that night. Your stitching progress is good and it's also exercising you arm. Hopefully your healing is continuing well and you will soon be able to look back on this episode as a blip on the landscape of life.

piecefulwendy said...

The skies were cloudy here too, so we weren't able to see it either. Those meals would be so good for a single person who wants to eat well but doesn't like cooking for one. So glad you are able to do stitching each day while you are mending.

Kate said...

Kudos to Mike for picking up the slack, to you for soldiering on and to the healing cats for their powers. ^^
Surprisingly, it cleared here just at sunset so we were able to see 'the star' - I expected it to be much brighter but was delighted to actually see it. Between the solstice and the star there is a lot of hope and light and we all can use that just now.

Kate said...

Sometimes you just have to rest. You are supposed to heal the most when you are sleeping, so hopefully you are starting to feel a lot more comfortable. Enjoy your stitching time.

Jenny said...

Sending time stitching with your Cats looking after you, and hubby helping with kitchen duties is ideal convelence time. Do hope you are continuing to improve, day by day.
I've just sprained my wrist, makes you appreciate how much better it is to have two hands that work well together!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Napping with the kitties is not a bad thing. That chicken dish looks so good too - chicken is a favourite here. And we couldn't see the sky show last night either - too cloudy here.

QuiltGranma said...

New profile picture, or bring back a memory? Beautiful which ever!