12/20/20

A Little Stitching

We got out and ran some errands yesterday. Ordinarily I wouldn’t tag along on these kinds of outings, but now they are a welcome change of scenery. When we got home, we were chilled and damp and it seemed like a good day for a Spanish coffee. Mike makes a really good Spanish coffee.


Today might be a good day for hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps. What do you think? Smitty likes the idea. It’s just more lap time for him. Laps are an excellent vantage point for surveying one’s domain.


It was kind of late in the day by the time I tried to do any slow stitching. Sadie gave me the stink-eye while I tried getting myself into a comfortable position.


I’ve noticed that late afternoons and into the evening are my least comfortable hours. Mostly I’m spending my days sitting and resting, watching television, listening to audio books. Slow stitching is about the most strenuous thing I’m doing these days. Yesterday, I figured out that waiting until late in the day isn’t a good idea. My thumb was willing, but I couldn’t find a comfortable position to satisfy my shoulder, and so I have up after stitching just a little.


Sadie was only happy I stopped wiggling around. She just wanted some rest.


So I’ll get going earlier on my embroidery this morning, and I should be able to get a little more done. There’s nothing else on today’s agenda. Relaxing, napping, stitching, and peppermint schnapps. Sounds like Christmas is already here.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes...Including you. ~ Anne Lamott

Quilting Babcia said...

Catching up on blog reading a bit today. I'm sorry your winter trip had to be postponed a bit, but I'm sure you will enjoy it more when your shoulder isn't giving you so much discomfort. Thankfully you're not totally quarantined, you can get out on short excursions to stores, etc. A visit to your favorite LQS might be in order one day soon! I'm interested in those meal in a box deals Mike has been making for you. Will need to see if anything like that is available near us when I emerge from my quarantine cocoon. Best Christmas wishes to you and Mike and your furry healers too.

Sandra W said...

I think pain is always worse at the end of the day, especially if is related to movement. It only makes sense. When we wake up the body has rested. As the day goes on we are doing more so we get more pain. This is the time for a nap and tylenol. Then you can make it to the finish line for the day. Try to slow down during the day, if you can.

Lyndsey said...

Catching up on my blog reading before getting on with some stitching. I haven't got a broken shoulder but I find my right arm and side aches more in the evening when I stitch. I know it's where the nerves were damaged and cut during surgery but it's annoying when the only time available for stitching is in the evening. Since I'm on holiday I'm going to hand stitch in the morning. My, that Spanish coffee looks good and I love hot chocolate with Irish cream liqueur added.

Dorothy said...

I am surprised that you switched from "AM" to "PM" slow stitching. I have nothing "broken", "sprained", or "whatever", and yet I always feel "younger & stronger" in the AM. (and I am 78 and still working at UPS) I know I am lucky "body wise, please take care and heal slowly :-)

piecefulwendy said...

I think you are pacing yourself well, and learning how your body is handling the injury, so stitching in the afternoon wasn't as good and that's okay. Love how alert Smitty is as he's looking out at whatever is drawing his attention. Such a handsome cat. And the stink eye from Sadie is just too funny. The other night, I went to the cupboard and got Wilbs' food out, fed him, put the food away. Went to bed. John came in the bedroom carrying Wilbs and chuckling. Wilbs had snuck into the food cabinet and I had shut him in there without knowing. Wilbs is still a bit miffed.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

You need a treat, hang in there. Love your quote today too.

Julierose said...

Yes late p.m. and early evenings seem to be the worst times for things like that...sounds like you are making sstrides in healing though. Resting allows your body to repair itself...
I hope this Christmas finds you feeling a lot better...
Hugs from the frozen landscape -- oh!!we have BLUEBIRDS on our cedar trees--in the snow!! Never saw them before in the Winter...they are all a-flutter...
so beautiful:))) Julierose

CA Bobbie said...

Hoping the slow stitching goes better in the morning. I do love the expressions on the kitties faces. I am impressed with Dorothy still working at UPS at 78- I retired after 40 years with them at 68!! I wish you a wonderful holiday.

Kate said...

Sorry you are still so uncomfortable. Hopefully things will have markedly improved in another week or so. It's hard to believe it's almost Christmas, it's going to be almost 70 F here today!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

That coffee looks wonderful! Wish Mike could send me some. It's good to see those fur babies still taking their nursing duties so seriously.