12/22/20

Kitty Kisses

We got an early start today, finishing up the last grocery shopping we needed to do before Christmas. I believe we have enough food to get us through the weekend now. It’s hard to keep track when one isn’t doing the cooking. A little while ago, Mike came in just slightly panicked because he wants to barbecue some steaks tonight, and we hadn’t started the marinade for them. No problem, but I know the feeling. So I shouted ingredients and locations from my chair in the living room, and we got ‘er done. It’s been good team work between the two of us in all of this. After 45-plus years of marriage, I think we have it down.

As usual, there isn’t much to report. I’ll probably take tomorrow off from blogging. It’s hard to be very creative when the best one can do is sit in a chair all day. Getting myself showered and dressed is the most exciting part of the day, and then, I flop into the chair and sleep a good portion of the time. Of course, I have some cats who think this new sleeping all day routine is an excellent way to catch up on snuggles. 


Both kitties sit with me during the day. Sadie tends to be my night time kitty though. Smitty likes to smooch every now and then.


Yesterday’s slow-stitching filled my hoop. I spent most of the time trying to untangle a hopelessly tangled skein of floss. “Hopeless,” but I it got done. 


Now I’ve moved my hoop to the next position. I was able to manage that on my own this time around.

I’ll see the orthopedist again on Thursday morning, stopping off for an x-ray first. My thumb is well on the way to healing, and I’m using my hand more naturally every day. The shoulder seems better, but it’s still painful to do almost anything that requires movement. It’s improving, but the x-ray will have the final say on whether I’m going to need a surgery or not. I’m still hoping not, but leaning toward whatever will reduce the pain the soonest. Honestly, it’s exhausting to be in pain nearly 100% of the time. I’ve been using the narcotic pain reliever only at night so I can get a good night’s sleep. The rest of the time, it’s mostly tylenol, and it’s inadequate to the task. We’ll talk to the doctor about that too. Is there some other way to get better pain relief than with opioids? Not in my experience, but it never hurts to ask.

So unless something really, really, really exciting happens between now and Thursday afternoon, I probably won’t write again until I have some news to report. As for the “really, really, really exciting” thing that could happen, don’t count on it. I think kisses from Smitty are the only real excitement for the time being.

14 comments:

Barbara said...

What greater gift than the love of a cat. ~ Charles Dickens

Julierose said...

Hoping it's good news from your appointment..;))
Glad you have the kitties for comfort...
hugs and good luck Julierose

Anonymous said...

Kitties do a good job of taking care of their people!! And for me, just hearing the sound of a kitty purring has a very calming affect.
Sending lots of positive thoughts your way for a good appointment with your doctor on Thursday....
I have been making cookies today, and haven’t had time for stitching....hopefully there will be some stitching going on around here tomorrow!
Take care!
Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Smitty kisses - what's not to like? I hope you get a good report on Thursday and that the doctor will be pleased with your progress and you avoid surgery. Fingers are firmly crossed on your behalf.
We're heading into a province-wide lockdown effective Boxing Day so we were out today stocking up on a few things that we will need over the next month. I'm hoping that I will only have to go to the grocery store once to get fresh fruit and milk. Such is the plan anyway. Good thing I have lots to keep me busy at home!

Nancy said...

Something that I find helpful for bruising and pain relief is a product called 1-TDC. I order mine from Elite Science although it is also available on Amazon. It would probably come faster from Amazon but is a little higher in price. Don’t be put off by the fact that some of the product are for animals. They have the human version also. I use the cream the most. It heats up after you put it on which causes blood to flow to the area. That encourages healing in the area. I found it really helped to heal the bruising from my injury. It smells like peppermint so I don’t find is obnoxious. The narcotics didn’t help me much with the pain but they give such a small dosage for fear that the patient will become addicted it is just not enough.
I hope the x-rays show good news. But if you have to have surgery I can tell you that one week after my surgery I no longer needed anything more that Tylenol at night for pain.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Napping with the furkids sounds like a good thing for you right now. Don't rush the recovery. Hoping things go well and you get good news.

Dorothy said...

Nothing better than a "kitty kiss"---except 2 kitties that take turns keeping you comfy. Fingers crossed for no surgery and fingers crossed for a solution to pain control without the opioids. And the "engineer man" looks fabulous in the kitchen. So glad you have him

Christine said...

Hope the Doctor can suggest something, as you say it is very exhausting being in pain. my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Enjoy your Christmas, I know it's just a change of meal but . . .
From a really murky, dank day here in middle England
Much love to all
Christine

piecefulwendy said...

Living with pain is very exhausting, so I hope you get some good information tomorrow, and I truly hope no surgery, but agree that whatever resolves the pain would be good. Wishing you and Mike and your boys a very Merry Christmas, Barbara!

SJSM said...

WooHoo! You are getting a bit independent. Glad you could move that hoop.

You do know you make the mundane interesting, don’t you? You could talk about dirt on the floor and keep my attention. I also am interested in your recovery. Being one who was bedridden for 4 months with pain and only being able to stare at the ceiling, I truly feel for you. Not being able to move out of position due to pain and enduring that one position is extremely difficult that first month. Where I lived at the time, no opioids were administered outside of the hospital. As a result, it is good to see you making progress so soon. There are good indications you will do well going forward whether healing on your own or with surgery. No one wants surgery, but as another poster stated, sometimes it is the best course as your recovery could decrease the pain more quickly as the root cause cannot be addressed without intervention. In my case, I was able to stand mostly upright within 24 hours of surgery and it improved from there. When I could ultimately change positions in bed, it felt so freeing.

All this to say, I hope you do not need surgery. But if you do, make sure you have done your homework on the surgery, doctor and facility and move confidently forward. Attitude is important.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

When I had my surgery, they said I could take Tylenol and Advil at the same time, since they do different things. I didn't take the oxy even though I had a bottle. I hope you find some pain relief and you recover quickly.

Susan said...

Here's hoping the no surgery is needed unless it will help the pain issue and also make it heal faster. Wishing you a wonderful Christmas despite the circumstances.

CA Bobbie said...

I wish you all a very happy Christmas. Like all have said hoping you get good news from ortho doc. I'm 100% in agreement with "SJSM". last sentence. For me almost nothing better than a purring kitty snuggling with me.

Anonymous said...

There have been some studies that show that ibuprofen and acetaminophen taken together offer better pain relief than narcotics like vicodin. I used this combo when I had an abscessed tooth and can confirm that it worked surprisingly well.
My kitties are sending purrs and head butts for a speedy recovery.