12/11/20

Baby Steps

It feels as if my recovery time has been significantly shortened since seeing the doctor yesterday. That may or may not be true, but it still gives me a psychological boost, if nothing else. I have to keep reminding myself that he said “no surgery now,” not “no surgery ever.” And so I have been on a short leash where celebration is concerned. 

This morning, I thought I would see just how dextrous I am with my thumb. As I’ve mentioned before, that fairy frost background fabric does not photograph very well. I was able to stitch the one blue flower in the centre of the image. As it turns out, I can’t really grip the needle with my right thumb, and so I stitched with my left hand. 


This section is nearly finished, and there is no way I can move the hoop without using both hands. Also, there is no way I can tie a French knot. So, this one little flower will have to do for today. Surely I can take up bungee jumping by tomorrow!

Like I said, when you sit around all day long, there isn’t much to blog about. Nevertheless, y’all are keeping me entertained with care packages and get well cards. Yesterday, my friend Robin sent me this beautiful bouquet. 


Thank you, Robin. That was so very sweet of  you. 

The day will probably be spent sitting around it again today. Mike needs to leave for a while to get a haircut, and then he will come home to get me and we will ride around and do some errands. It’s going to get up and out a little bit.
 

11 comments:

Barbara said...

Progress is not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. ~ Khalil Gibran

Teresa aka MarieSews said...

I'm glad you are feeling a bit better. Today, one blue flower, tomorrow, the world!!

Hey, I have a stupid question: What's the state of the e-bike? Did it survive the woolly caterpillar incident? And if you wish to consign the bike to Dante's Inferno along with the rest of 2020, I completely understand.

Julierose said...

WOW left handed embroidery? You are certainly determined!! It is so difficult to wait around to heal...but hang in there...Maybe time to catch up on your reading? Hugs from the East Coast Julierose

Anonymous said...

I must say, I am impressed with your left-handed stitching!! That little blue flower looks great!
Sandra B

gpc said...

Hopefully you will heal well and quickly. It does take a bit longer as one ages. My foot, for instance, has shown no sign of healing in months, but it has stabilized and I am calling it good enough. I suspect that your doctor's advice will be more a matter of how satisfied you are with your function than what the xrays show.

piecefulwendy said...

Pretty impressive, that flower - sewing it lefthanded! It's the little things, just to prove it can be done, that helps mentally too, I think. Glad you are trying some things to see what works and what doesn't. Sure better than just sitting in a chair and being sad. Enjoy your outing with Mike!

Debbie said...

left handed stitching? Wow, you are doing great at that. Getting out will surely brighten your day.

SJSM said...

It is good progress is happening. I have wondered the same thing as Teresa of MarieSews but thought it was too soon to ask. Regardless, those kitties have a job to do and I sure hope they don’t slough off over the long term. I noticed my comment yesterday did not post. It was continuing encouragement. I do find that happens sometimes. Either a hiccup on my end or in the posting process.

I hope your outing causes no pain and good mental stimulation.

SJSM said...

My message didn’t show posting when I checked yesterday. I see it is there today. Soooo it was delayed somehow.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

BUNGEE jumping???!!!!!!!! When you were done in by an itty bitty teeny little caterpillar????? I shudder to think what could happen.
Beautiful flowers from your friend - something bright and cheerful to make you know you are loved.

QuiltGranma said...

You are a woman with a very soft heart, who avoided a wollie bear. Love your softie nurses with their warm bodies to help you heal with their purrs! Beautiful flowers you got. Take time to heal.