11/6/20

Peas on Earth

It would be nice if I could say there is peas on earth because the election has been decided, but no. For those of you reading this post a day late, maybe it will be by then. For now, it's just a little story about building a mug rug. But first, I must tell you the momentous news that I have turned the corner on Mulligan Stew. I can say in all sincerity that I am on the home stretch with this quilt. It holds the world record for the longest WIP in my sewing room.

I'll pick it up there this morning. Maybe another week's worth of work will have me to binding stage. One can only hope.

After that, I made my way into the sewing room, I had about an hour to work on this mug rug for Sue before I needed to make lunch and then head off to my hair appointment. ("Head off." Did you like that?) So the first step was to trim around the writing...

and then, I added a narrow bright green border.

When I first talked about making this, Sue asked me if I had pea fabric. What a silly question. So, yes, pea fabric was added as the outer border.

I was doing some straight line quilting when it was time to make lunch. I left it here.

There was still some time left after lunch, and so I was able to finish up the quilting. Nothing fancy.

About that time, Sadie realized there was sewing to be done, and so she came down from her clubhouse.

She helped me select two possible bindings from my scrap binding bag.

When I'd selected the one I wanted, she proceeded to kill the other one.

When it was time to leave, I was only a little way around.

When I got home, I finished it off. Now it's ready for hand-stitching, and I'll get that finished today. It finished up at 11 x 14 inches...maybe a little large for a mug rug, but the pea fabric needed some room to breathe.

Okay, and I'm going to post a selfie. You should know that I absolutely hate selfies, and I hate how I look in pictures. But...I'm happy with my new doo, so I'll let you see it.


Since I'm terrible with hair, I had my hairdresser show me how to do this at home. I think it's easy enough for me to manage even with my hair dyslexia.

Today I'm getting a COVID test, as I mentioned in yesterday's post. I'm really not looking forward to that. Afterward, I'll reward myself with a trip to the grocery store. Do I know how to have a good time, or what? No doubt after that, I'll come home and take a nap.

Mr. Smithers woke me up at 4:00 a.m. this morning. I hoped I could get back to sleep, but then my mind started racing: Has the election been decided? (No.) Why did Smitty wake me up? Is his food bowl empty? (Yes.) Can I go back to sleep without first going to the bathroom? (No.) And there was little chance of getting back to sleep with all of that going on, so I got an extra early start to the day. A nap will be nice.

17 comments:

Barbara said...

A woman who cuts her hair is about to change her life. ~ Coco Chanel

Susan said...

Nice haircut and style. Looks good on you

Love the expressions on Sadie's face. Also the pea fabric border with the pea soup recipe. At that size, you can call it a "Mug & Cookie" rug or mat.

Julierose said...

Oh that is a nice new hairdo--it looks easy care, too...
Love the little mug rug with the peas fabric...
nice work getting to the final lap on your quilting...hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

Great new hairstyle! At what size does a mug rug become a snack mat, a burning question for the day ...

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I went with something similar, but a bit shorter and highlights - shocker. Needed new and fresh. Oh, rounded the corner and on to the home stretch - good for you. Sadie is such a pretty little thing and has the most interesting markings - especially her face.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You look great (hair too!). Glad you ended up being pleased with it.
The pea fabric made me smile - how perfect that you had it in your stash!
And the fun just never ends at your house does it - not only a COVID test but groceries too.

Jean Etheridge said...

Just a short note to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. It’s not the cats, it’s your humor and writing. Sure, the quilting, but I just get a kick out of reading your commentary. Thanks. I follow via Feedly.

Cathy said...

Barb, your new haircut is as adorable as you are. I did the grocery store today instead of Thursday, but I’m getting to hate it as much as you. Our local chain (Harmon’s) changed their floors and lighting to dark first thing this year, and I swear it puts me in a depressed state every time I walk in. Plus I now associate it with the early pandemic days. I’ve switched to mostly shopping elsewhere. Gotta take small day brighteners where we can.

Dorothy said...

Congrats o Mulligan Stew. It's been a long time coming, and I think I've watched it's progress from the beginning. Like the new do--I wear mine very short, I call it my shower and go hair style :-) And you always amaze me-with the quilts and the stories. Thank you

Christine said...

Oh! Wow! Get you!! Glam or wot!
I am always surprised at the difference having hair done makes to our lives. Back in March, lockdown1 in England, my hairdresser closed. Then my hairdresser came back!!! Yeah! Beautiful pink hair and I can take on the world!!!
Love the pea quilt....tray quilt?

SJSM said...

I do like your hair! It lights up your face. Oh boy, cat wanderers. Either Stella wakes me because she is antsy at 3:00 or Lana let’s me know at 5:00 that the food bowl needs attending. Then it takes a bit to get back to sleep. Sometimes I just give up and start the day early.

Hope your afternoon went well enough.

gpc said...

Nope, still no results. I've been too stressed to sew all week, which is annoying; I need to overcome that. I am always impressed with your projects (love that Mulligan Stew) but to learn that you had pea fabric on hand just put me over the top. Truly amazing. I do not have, have never seen, and have never thought to look for pea fabric. Now that I know the secret to your creative success, I probably still won't get any, but I will sleep better. And thanks for validating my vote on the haircut by posting the picture. It gives me hope for our democracy. (By the way, my sister has had the covid test several times now and says it is not as bad as people make it sound. Hope both the test and the reward grocery trip went well.)

piecefulwendy said...

Love that Pea Soup project; it turned out so cute! Wilbs was kind enough to wait until 5:30-ish this morning, and then was content to let me sleep a bit longer. I've had those early mornings, they usually reap a nap in the afternoon.

Kate said...

Love the pea fabric! Such a fun mug rug. I had one of those early mornings this week when the SIT woke me up at 1:30 (college stress is a real thing). It does make for an early start, but it made for an early evening. Hopefully you survived the test, I've heard from My Guy that the testing is no fun at all.

Jerilea Hendrick said...

Pea fabric is so cute. Your hair looks great, too. :)

Lyndsey said...

I love the new hair do, it really suits you and looks like it should be very easy to manage. I 'm very pleased you have given me a diagnosis for my hair problems, hair dyslexia is definitely my problem. I don't get me left and right the correct way round but when looking in a mirror it's always going to end very badly

QuiltGranma said...

What a darling rug you are working on. I had a covid test before a procedure and it was not a problem... didn't even tickle my uvula. Nor my brain. Love your new "do".