11/7/20

A Lazy Afternoon

Sometimes we just need to take a day off. Wouldn't you agree? The past week has been edge-of-the-seat stressful. Some of the items on my calendar were wiped away by other forces, but what remained was stressful enough. I've kind of stopped checking my iDevices obsessively. I'm confident our election is settled at this point, and so we're just waiting for the "official" announcement. As for the personal stuff, it's mostly done, with the exception of the Mohs procedure on my poor nose. I can worry about that on Tuesday morning.

As for yesterday, I finished stitching the binding on the Peas on Earth mug rug...or snack mat...or tray liner. Call it whatever you like. It was fun to make, and it's now on its way to Sue.


Here's how it looks from the back. I love that pea fabric.


After that, we needed to leave so I could get my COVID test. We were able to find the drive-up testing site, which is near the hospital in our town. There was no line, since this site is by appointment only. I expected a swab the size of a large tree, but was surprised to see it's actually smaller than a Q-tip...longer, yes...but smaller in diameter. I was very apprehensive about this since I've heard horror stories about the discomfort. It really was a non-event. The swab is inserted deep into a nostril (yes, deep) and then twirled around a couple of times. It was fine, but grew slightly more uncomfortable. About the time I was ready to cry "uncle," it was all over. Phew! After that, I felt so light on my feet that we breezed through the grocery store in record time.

Still, I was tired when we got home. We put away the groceries, had some lunch, and then settled in for a nice long nap. Smitty was available as a napping assistant. We'd both been up since 4:00 a.m.


When I awakened from my nap, I checked the front door for a delivery, and found these wonderful western fabrics, a gift from my friend debbiegsp. Thank you, my dear! She responded to my woes when I ran out of fabric for the Appalachian Memories quilt. Even though I'm finished with the quilt, these will be perfect for when I make the next two barn quilts on my to-do list. So, again, my thanks. Quilters are the most generous people!


The only other thing I did yesterday was to select threads for when I get busy quilting the Friendship's Garden quilt. As a reminder, it looks like this:


For the yellow sections, I'll use this variegated yellow:


It's one of the threads from my friend Ila. I haven't used these Premium Sulky threads before. I have two spools, and so I'll use this in the bobbin as well.


For the embroidered quilt blocks, I'll use this YLI 40-weight "natural" thread. I've used this before, and it performs well on my machine.


Interestingly, I just noticed YLI thread is manufactured in Rock Hill, SC. It's where my brother's wife was from, and it's where they were married.


So I had in mind to start quilting Friendship's Garden today. And then I remembered I still had quilts to sandwich. But then...oh my gosh...inspiration struck last night! The next theme for The Endeavourers art quilt group was announced. The theme is "Memories." Well, my brain went to work right away. I had a few ideas, but I settled on one yesterday evening. And you know how that is...I just wanted to start working on it right away!!!! It's going to require some embroidery work before I can really do anything else, and so I'll start on that very soon. No rush, but I need to have it finished before the end of the year. We'll be traveling south in January, and I need to have it finished before we leave. The reveal is February 1st, and I'll need to have my post written ahead of time. 

So, okay...here we go. Maybe today someone will announce the election results. Come on, networks. Be bold. 

7 comments:

Barbara said...

If each person in this world will simply take a small piece of this huge thing, this amazing quilt, and work it regardless of the color of the yarn, we will have harmony on this planet. ~ Cicely Tyson

Julierose said...

Very pretty fabric for your next barn quilts for sure...

We've finally jumped off the edge of our seats now that Biden is our new President Elect...beyond happy!!

Enjoy your weekend now that the dreaded test is over...Hugs, Julierose

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I'm doing the happy dance! Maybe a drink later. Nice gifted fabrics. I have a lot of YLI thread, should really use them.

Kate said...

Fun new fabrics to play with. The Covid test all wrapped up and an afternoon of playing in the sewing room. Sounds ideal!

gpc said...

By now you know that they've been bold. We can all breathe a partial sigh of relief. Sure, there will be lots of drama and we know by now that the courts can't fully be trusted. And yes, people who wanted a different result will be whipped into a recurring frenzy until they all tire of it or the media stops covering it. And yes, those people who are so misinformed or vile that they either have been misled or are just terrible people, still make up nearly half the country. But hey, the results are in, and the covid test is over, and you have pea fabric, so take at least a moment to rejoice! Or another nap. Your choice. Here in my small world, I plan to celebrate with both wine and an ice cream drumstick. One to savor the sweetness and the other to dull the pain. Judge me if you want to.

piecefulwendy said...

You have your idea for the challenge - already?? Geez. I'm still processing the idea of memories! I can't wait to see what you are up to this time! I didn't realize YLI was manufactured in the US. I have a couple spools but if I recall correctly, my new machine is a bit finicky about them.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

So glad to hear the covid test wasn't as bad as you were anticipating...and I'm glad that it's over for you. That pea fabric simply 'made' the mat...lucky you had it in your stash.