11/5/20

Pins and Needles

Holy smokes! What a day yesterday! I can't really tell you anything in particular happened. It's what didn't happen that has me on pins and needles. You know...the "E" word. I could hardly tear myself away from the vote tally, and watched obsessively most of the day. Mike and I went out to run some errands around mid-day and that helped to channel some of that nervous energy. When we got home, I walked around to the back side of the house to snap this picture of our Japanese maple trees. Aren't these incredible? No filter...they really are that red.


The two in the foreground have red leaves year-round. When they get their leaves in spring, they are more a dark burgundy color. In fall they fade to this irridescent red. The one in the background has green leaves earlier in the year. If it doesn't lose all of its leaves too soon, it will eventually fade to a brilliant orange. Oh yes, and  I caught up on my housework, so the day wasn't a total loss.

But let's not talk about the election, okay? Let's talk a little about sewing. And only a little sewing is what was accomplished. I'm moving along with the hand quilting on Mulligan Stew. Not surprisingly, I'm enjoying this more since I stopped trying to make my stitches perfect. They are far from perfect, but I'm having more fun, and that's kinda the point.


When I moved my hoop, I was in striking distance of turning the corner on the final border. And, you know? I think I might actually finish this! Wouldn't that be something? A bright spot in this otherwise dreadful year.


So I'm feeling perky enough about this quilting that I'm going to continue on until the quilting is finished. The binding strips are cut, and I see a finish in the not-too-distant future.

Last night I tried a new recipe. I've made a couple of things in the past week that included butternut squash. I could only find a large butternut squash, and so I've been on a quest to use the last of it ever since. A recipe for Butternut Squash Pasta with Bacon and Parmesan appeared in the NYTimes yesterday, and so I grabbed it for last night's dinner. This was delicious, and really, pretty easy to do. The "sauce" is done in the oven, and so the only thing left is to boil the pasta. It used up the last of that huge butternut squash, and so I was feeling pretty smug. It has butternut squash, red onions, bacon, and parmesan cheese. 


There was enough for dinner last night, and the leftovers filled two more individual serving ramekins. Those are in the freezer now, and we'll take them along on our next camping trip. If you want to try this, you can click on the link I've given you back there. Possibly, you might need a subscription to the NYTimes to open it. If you want to try this and can't open it, email me and I'll be happy to send the recipe to you.

So, I made absolutely no progress at all on the Pea Soup mug rug yesterday. 


Probably I won't today either. Today was originally set to be a horrible day. As it turned out, the horribleness faded away. I was supposed to see a doctor this morning, but her office called to say she'd had a family emergency and needed to reschedule. Fine with me. And then, I was going to go to a "drive though" site for a COVID test. I'm not sick, and I have no symptoms. I'm not even aware of having been exposed, but you never know. Anyway...the procedure on my nose is scheduled for next Tuesday, and a COVID test is required for that. So, I started investigating the "drive-through" site and realized I needed an appointment. Yikes! So I spent more than two hours on hold Tuesday morning before finally getting an appointment for Friday morning. Okay. Fine with me, although I have to say I'm not looking forward to that at all. From what I'm told, they practically swab your brain for that. I'm terribly afraid they'll find only a cavernous hole when they try reaching inside for my brain. Possibly moths will fly out.

Now the only thing left of my horrible no good very bad day is getting a haircut and perm this afternoon. As I've said many times, I hate the whole perming process, but I do love the body it gives my fine, thin hair. I've tried getting away with the extra body coloring gives it, but it simply isn't enough. I'm back to perming. And today, I'm being bold. I'm going to try something totally new. Maybe I'll post a picture, and maybe not. It'll depend on whether I like it. My hairdresser is pretty good at doing what I want. We'll see. I know...just what you need. Another outcome to wonder about.

So if there's any time for sewing today, I'll work first on the mug rug. That shouldn't take more than about an hour. If there's more time in the day, I'm going to start quilting the Friendship's Garden quilt. It's lounging on my sewing chair, relaxing its wrinkles. 


Wouldn't it be great if you could relax your wrinkles just by sitting in a chair? Why, I'm sure I'd relax back to my high school skin if sitting in a chair would get the job done. Life just isn't fair, is it?

16 comments:

Barbara said...

Worry is like a rocking chair: it gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere. ~ Erma Bombeck

gpc said...

Since we aren't talking about the "E", I have nothing at all to say. But this: when you get your perm, can we vote on it? Can I send my vote in by mail? If I fill out my vote properly and follow instructions, and it arrives on time, will it be invalid? If you do not like your hair but do like my vote, is it fraud? If you do not like my vote but like your hair, will you file a lawsuit? My husband says I have been stressing again today, but he is a hoax.

Julierose said...

WOWsers what a day!! I am sending good wishes for your hair --that is what is important, right? (I am being serious here) --I have never liked my own hair..and now I am often mistaken for Lady Godiva--not the naked part, just the hair--thank goodness! Har Har Har...

Today:
Worry, glue a bit, worry some more, sew a bit, worry even more, (how come that State hasn't even begun counting votes??? Huh?) I tried to walk this morning to clear my po' brain....saying:
"I am not watching returns ANYMORE!! But I do want to know the outcome...don't I?" ) and so it goes...

I definitely will need a cocktail this evening...(a friend suggested xanax and vodka ),,,;000
Take care and stay safe hugs, Julierose

Nancy said...

Oh boy that Covid test....I had to have it after my accident before they would do my surgery. Craziness - I had broken my right arm badly and between waiting for doctors and pre-surgery tests it was two weeks before surgery. But the Covid test that was something else. My husband had to drive me to the test site and they did the test on me thru my open window. My eyes were watering as they attempted to remove my brain thru my nose. But the crazy part was after watching the procedure my husbands eyes were watering because it hurt him to his toes just watching. He could hardly drive away.
I love those trees in your yard. I have always loved Japanese Maples. In our house in the ‘couve we have a small one in the front yard. We also have a pretty dogwood tree but we may have lost it in September during the Labor Day wind storm. We have attempted to stand it back up but we will see in the spring if it survived our efforts.

Lyndsey said...

So many blogs are not talking about the 'E' but in our house that's all we are talking about, and we're in London UK. It beats talking about the members of our government! Your trees are amazing, I always love photos of your garden. I hope the perm went well and I can't wait to see the new you.

Jenny said...

Here in New Zealand we are also watching the Big E with interest. Wont tell you what I think because we dont want to start any international incidents. But.....really!!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I'm not watching- I know they have to allow ALL votes to be counted and that can take a while. We are in a warm spell for 10 days!!! I took my Mom out for a drive and bit of shopping. I never know how many days of outings I can get with her, so we enjoyed.

Sue said...

When you said "Another outcome to worry about" it gave me a chuckle so thanks for that- need all the levity I can find right now!

SJSM said...

gpc gave me a chuckle. Today we said, off to the beach! We took a small walk to Mori Point in Pacifica then had a late lunch in a restaurant! Eating in a restaurant was a first in these Covid times. The day was a good way to release the stress of E obsession.

I’ve had 4 Covid tests. There are two kinds but both ended with a nasal swab. The first is the kind everyone talks about. I found it uncomfortable but it did not hurt. They do reach in far and touch the back of the nasal cavity to grab a sample. For a couple hours afterwards there was mild soreness but not excruciating. The second type grossed me out. They start with the swab on the inside of the cheek and count ten swipes on each side THEN they take the same swab up your NOSE for ten twirls. They do not go as deep as the nasal only swab so no pain at all, just gross thoughts. Thankfully they do the mouth first. 😆

piecefulwendy said...

What a beautiful view of those trees! The color is just fantastic. You are so close with the hobo quilt, so you go! You come up with such great recipes, it's always fun to see what you are creating. I know you looked fantastic with your new hair cut and perm. Didn't realize that was post-COVID test. Were there moths?? (I doubt it)

MissPat said...

Great quote from Erma Bombeck and those Japanese Maples are glorious. We're having a stretch of unseasonably warm weather here and I'm taking advantage of it to do end of season work in the gardens. That has helped me stay away from the news. Sorry the nose surgery had to be rescheduled. It was a momentary reprieve but it still needs to be done. I'll look forward to seeing the results of the hair appointment and I did chuckle at gpc's comment.
Pat

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

It's Friday and I'm wondering how your test went. Isn't that funny...someone many miles and a country away from you are wishing you luck this morning. This blogging thing is great.
Wow, those Japanese maples are stunning. Love your stitching and no it is not about perfection at all. There's nothing more relaxing than laying those stitches so enjoy. Thanks for the recipe link and I make pea soup all the time in my slow cooker. We both enjoy it.
But the most important thing :) is how did the hair turn out. Haven't heard of perms in a while.

Susan said...

Those are the most beautiful Japanese Maples trees I have ever seen.

I had to have that nasal swab Covid test because my sister got Covid I had been exposed. Stung like crazy and made my eyes water. It was a drive through test site. That's all they have around me. Gosh, my eyes are watering just thinking about it.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Seems like those 'Alexander' days happen often, particularly these days. That squash pasta looks pretty good. I haven't had a 'professional' haircut since March and probably won't be for a long time to come. Resident Chef has discovered a whole other side to his abilities and has been doing a grand job so I plan to keep him on staff.

Kate said...

Those Japanese maples are really beautiful! We did the fall foliage thing last night and got some cool pictures via street light (long story). Hopefully you've got Mulligan Stew just about ready to bind. It's always exciting getting to another finish, and I'm sure you'll be glad to have the hand quilting all done.

Helen said...

Those trees are just fabulous!