11/12/20

Lots of Stitching

You might think I did a lot of stitching yesterday, and I did. But I have my own set of stitches right now...about half a dozen on my nose. Yes, I've cheated death once again. I look like hell, but I'm feeling pretty good. Thank you to all who wrote to wish me well on this latest bit of nosiness. Thankfully, it took just two swipes to remove the little basal cell from my nose. To see my swollen schnozz and my blackened left eye, you might think it was more. I'm just glad I don't have to go out anywhere...until tomorrow, when we'll have to break down and do some grocery shopping. Thank goodness for masks. Possibly, I'll don a ski mask for my next outing since my usual face mask won't hide the damage.

The time since I last blogged has been put to good use. I mentioned I wanted to start embroidering the words for my challenge quilt while I was at the doctor's office, and I did. Surprisingly, my hands trembled just enough to make backstitch difficult. I started on the first letter, but then decided to do stem stitch instead. It's probably the better choice for this purpose.


There are still two full balls of Valdani floss used for the Appalachian Memories quilt, and so I'm using it for this piece.


Off and on I've worked on this for the past day and a half, and there are just a few letters left. When the embroidery is finished, I'll be able to start on the rest of this little art quilt.

Also, I started top-stitching the last panel for "I Believe in Snowmen." When I was about halfway finished, it was time to leave for my appointment. Yesterday morning, I finished it off.


I used the triple stitch on my sewing machine to stitch in the window panes.


Now it's ready for embroidery. I'm working away on Mulligan Stew. I figure I have two more hoops to stitch, and then it will be ready for binding.

My nose was really hurting Tuesday evening. I'm taking only Extra Strength Tylenol for it, and it was barely tolerable. By yesterday morning, it was feeling pretty good, but I took it pretty easy anyway. After lunch, I took a long nap. Our weather has been chilly, and so once I pull a warm quilt over my body, it's hard to get out from under it again. When I finally forced myself off the couch yesterday, I got back to work machine quilting the blocks for Friendship's Garden.


For this, I had plenty of kitty assistance. Smitty was napping with me. He thought this new location would make an excellent place to curl up and resume sleeping.


He was encouraged to use the chair beside the machine, and I continued on with the quilt blocks.


Oh, but I had all the kitties with me yesterday. Sadie likes this window perch where she's high above her usual hunting grounds.


She could sit there, and I could continue with my quilting.


The last of the blocks were finished yesterday.



When the last of the quilt blocks were stitched, I changed to the variegated yellow thread. This is the same thread I'm using in the bobbin. I was just getting started quilting the horizontal sashings when I stopped for the day. I'm doing a sort of heart-shaped leaf and curly-cue motif. I'm hoping you can see it in this image.


After checking the tension and experimenting with the motif a little, I quit for the day. Today, I'll get back to work with a goal of finishing the horizontal sashings today. I might have time to finish the vertical sashings too. We'll see.

So, it was good to get so much accomplished. This was all quiet activity and so my nose was okay with it. I'm feeling even better today, and so I'll just keep on keeping on with quiet activity for at least another day. I'm hoping I can finish Mulligan Stew either today or tomorrow. 

With two quilts being quilted, I see a lot of quilt bindings in my future. Mike and I briefly considered canceling our camping trip to the beach next week, since it's going to rain the whole time. We're going though. I'll have plenty of hand-stitching to keep me busy, and he has plenty to read. If I know Mike, he'll find something inside the RV that needs repair, even if he has to break something first.

20 comments:

Barbara said...

It is a token of healthy and gentle characteristics, when women of high thoughts and accomplishments love to sew; especially as they are never more at home with their hearts than while so occupied. ~ Nathaniel Hawthorne

Shepherdess55 said...

That's good news that it took just 2 swipes to get all the basal cells. When do the stitches come out?

"Bee" said...


Barbara,
Happy you are doing better. My father-in law has to have this type of nose surgeries periodically, so I totally understand your anxiety over it!!
I love your kitties!!

Carolyn

Julierose said...

Oh that is so good that it was only two layers deep; don't overdo...be sure to get plenty of rest for healing...You Friendship Block quilting is so pretty...the stitching on those blocks is really lovely in all the colorways you chose...
Hope you continue to feel better each day
Hugs, Julierose

Lyndsey said...

I'm pleased to hear it all went well and you are on the mend. Get plenty of rest with the kitties. Naps and hand stitching with kitties is very restorative. I'm very intrigued by your challenge piece but I guess I'll just have to contain my curiosity until the great reveal

Cathy Smith said...

Swollen schnozz? Black eye? Just tell anyone who asks that it was a helluva bar fight and they see what the other guy looks like! Take care, heal fast and feel better soon!

QuiltShopGal said...

I think you need to come up with a fun story, should anyone ask what happened to your nose. My DH tells people they are from shark bites. Maybe you could say you got in a fight with a cat.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm sorry that you have been in pain - that's not fun, but it sounds as though you're continuing to improve. Black eyes will fade, although I wonder what people will think when they see you in the grocery store! Hmmm....maybe they'll give you a wide berth because they'll think you're a feisty soul and they hadn't better mess with you!

Cathy said...

So happy to hear your procedure went well. You’ve been in my thoughts. The worst is behind you now and napping, especially with kitty companions is always a mood booster! The quilting in the sashes is darling!!

Sandra W said...

So glad about your nose. (That doesn't sound right, does it?). I had something removed from my nose years ago and the freezing needle was the worse. Had my CTs today. No pain obviously, but always a worry. Still recovering from surgery and doing well.
Advil is better at pain but drs don't like it. I sometimes sneak one in!
Glad you're done and it went well. Getting old isn't for sissies...

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I, too, am glad things went well. Curling up with a quilt and kitties is very theraputic. I think working on some bright yellow is a pick-me up as well.

Jayne Jacobson said...

I am glad that you are feeling better. I enjoy reading your blog and am amazed at all that you get done. Here's hoping you have a continual recovery.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm glad you are feeling better and able to do some stitching. I'm trying to read those words on the challenge quilt and figure out what you are doing (unsuccessfully). I'm still pondering mine. I know your grocery shopping went okay, and I hope your camping trip is enjoyable even if you stay inside and stitch.

SJSM said...

Whew! The nose day is over and you are on the mend. What a relief it was only two layers. We are to have a little rain today. There was a dusting of snow on our mountain peaks. It’s been cold (for us). 40’s in the night and high 50’s in the day. Good to see you sewing and recovering. Your husband is needed here. There are so many little things that need adjusting. It’s not hubby’s strong point to notice and fix. I rack up a list and hire someone if it is too difficult for me to do or too long of a task. A lot is being delayed due to the Covid issue.

Glad you are feeling better and in the sewing room.

MissPat said...

Couldn't Mike do the grocery shop alone this one time? I would think wearing a mask would aggravate the sutures on your nose. But, hey, like someone else said, people will probably give you lots of room. Getting away for a few days will force you to relax (and not do housework), so that's a good thing. I love the garden themed embroideries.
Pat

Nancy said...

Glad your procedure went well and is behind you now. I'm sure you feel a little beat up for a day or two, so rest up. The variegated Valdani is so pretty and looks good in the word stitching. Your cats took it all in stride I see. Ours keeps staring at me since I have a ball-size bandage covering my nose. (it's stitched on, which is rather unique!) He's quite intrigued by it- not sure it's really me. Ha! Your trip with stitching and reading should be relaxing regardless of the weather.

Joan G said...

So glad your procedure went well and you are on the mend. This is probably one time when you are happy to wear a mask, although as another reader mentioned, it might bother your stitches. Your quilting is absolutely gorgeous and you never cease to amaze me. I am going to finally cave and get started on a Crab Apple Hill design - the Memory Lane blocks. I know you have stitched a lot of her designs. She released a new one today that I love. Anyway, wishing you a speedy recovery and happy stitching.

Susan said...

I am glad your "nose job" went well. Using an ice pack might help the swelling unless the doctor told you not to use one. I love the friendship quilt. It is so pretty. Always enjoy seeing your "helpers" too:-)

CA Bobbie said...

I'm wondering if you are free handing the quilting design-heart leaf and curly cue?

Vicki W said...

I'm glad your surgery went so well and that you are recovering quickly!