11/10/20

D-Day

It's the day I've been dreading. Today is the Mohs procedure on my poor nose. It's the fourth one I've had on my nose. My doctor is skillful. He's done the other three as well, with no scarring, and so I'm going into this dreading it, but not fearful. It's good having a doctor I trust. The worst part is the numbing medication, and then the recovery when the numbing medication wears off. I'm confident I'll survive it, but I'm not happy about it. My appointment isn't until this afternoon. Mike and I have to drop his car off for some service this morning, and we'll have our beloved Egg McMuffin for breakfast. We have a couple of other errands to run too, and so that will keep my mind off of it until the time comes.

Hopefully, I'll have some time this morning to continue hand quilting Mulligan Stew. When I finished with it yesterday, I moved the hoop to this position:


The portion of the border inside the hoop and to the left is all I have left to stitch. There are a few little places inside the quilt blocks I'll want to finish, but it's moving along. I'm hoping to have the binding sewn on by this weekend.

As I mentioned yesterday, I had an appointment with a podiatrist yesterday morning. That all went well, and she made casts of my feet for new custom orthotics. They are expensive, but they've made a big difference for me. My first set is more than 10 years old, and so the initial expense is offset by their long life. I wouldn't be replacing them except that the new ones will have a 4mm lift in the right foot. 

When I got home, we had some lunch, and I put some chili in the slow cooker. After that I headed into the sewing room to make the last section for I Believe in Snowmen. Smitty read the instructions to me as I worked.


We first had to choose which red and white fabric to use for piecing the star. Smitty tested all of them, and felt this was the most comfortable. That worked for me.


It was pretty quick to piece together the star and then the embroidery background piece.


When I had the background piece stitched together, I traced out the fusible, and then pinned the background to the template.


It helped me to get the correct placement for the applique. I started with just the largest pieces.


When those were fused, I moved it to my lightbox and traced in the embroidery lines.


And then I was ready to add the windows and doors to the houses. The window panes will be stitched in by machine as I'm doing the top-stitching.


That took the entire afternoon. I was just getting started with the top-stitching when it was time to stop for the day.


As for the chili, I was trying a new recipe from the Cooking Light Diet. This turned out to be really good, as are most of the recipes on our diet. I liked this one enough that I'll probably stick with it as my go-to recipe for chili in the slow cooker. It's made with ground pork, chunks of pork shoulder, and a ham hock for flavor. I don't think I've ever used a ham hock before. Of course, I've used a ham "bone" for making split pea soup, but the ham hock is a different part of the animal. 


It was topped with cilantro, green onions, and feta cheese (a stand-in for queso fresco). It's a bit of a to-do putting it together since the ground pork, pork shoulder, onions, and chopped green pepper need to be browned first. Do it in the morning, and dinner will be served when you're ready for it. It's a little spicy, and so if you're sensitive to that, I'd recommend cutting the chili powder down significantly. We liked the level of spice, but I added some fat-free plain yogurt to mine to tone it down just a bit. If you want to try this, you can find the recipe for Smoky Slow-Cooked Chili right here.

Okay, so I'm hoping to finish off the top-stitching today and then get back to machine quilting Friendship's Garden. On the other hand, I doubt there will be much time for sewing today. I'm planning to take the day off from blogging tomorrow because I won't have anything to tell you beyond whining about my medical woes. Thanks to all who have sent their well-wishes. Misery loves company, you know. I'm sure it will all be fine, and it'll be good to get it behind me. Seems like I'm saying that a lot lately.

17 comments:

Barbara said...

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. ~ Andrew Schweitzer

QuiltShopGal said...

I hope you get some of that yummy tequila, good cuddle time with your kitties and some leftover chili after your MOHS surgery this afternoon. I'll be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Frog Quilter said...

Take care and let the kitties pamper you! Will miss you tomorrow but you will be in good hands or is it paws.....

Julierose said...

Happy to hear that you have trust in your good doctor;))
Best of luck, Barbara--;))
You've used such pretty red fabrics on this part...it will be so pretty...
My thoughts are with you....hugs, Julierose

Tilly said...

Take care and take time to recover.
Love the red fabric.
Hugs Tilly

Connie said...

You have a great attitude about this procedure. Saying prayers for you.
Connie

gpc said...

Hugs and thoughts from me, too. I use ham hocks in my black beans and rice, they are pretty amazing and make me feel so primal on top of it. It's good to see a photo of Smitty reading the instructions; I've always suspected that was the part of anatomy cats used to read so appreciate the confirmation.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love that red you chose for the star. You are cruising with projects and WOW so close to the HOBO finish,

Sue Baker said...

I have had MOHS NOSE as well. It is the worst. The injections made me feel like Pinocchio!

djquilting said...

Misery does love company so I will suffer with you this afternoon by having a crown put on while you are having your surgery. Yes, the worst is the shot and I always keep my eyes closed for that. Good thoughts sent your way.

Love the reds you are using and I'm sure Smitty will make sure you make no mistakes.

Quilter said...


Sending wishes for a a speedy recovery from those dreadful
things in life that we have to have done so we can be healthy
and sure you will be comforted as you recover with those
sweet fur kids snuggled in on you...


Nancy said...

Love the reds in the houses/trees/star! I had MOHS on my nose Tuesday as well. Ugh. Like you, it's not the first one I've had. This time it took three rounds of testing to get it all, so that meant a skin graft. I'm not in pain, but do feel pretty beat up from it. Will lay low for a bit, too. Hope yours goes well. It is sure not fun- and I agree that the needles for numbing are awful- feels like a bee hive pressed to your face! Speedy recovery!

piecefulwendy said...

I know you made it through the procedure, and I'm hoping today isn't too miserable. Do take care and rest. Enjoy the kitty cuddles.

Nancy in IN said...

Prayers for you today.

SJSM said...

Speedy recovery to you. It will be a needed day to rest and recuperate. It is hoped that you feel little pain and are feeling like yourself in no time.

We had rain! The air is so clear and fresh.

MissPat said...

So in addition to all his other talents, Smitty can read braille? Hoping the pain meds and tequila are keeping you comfortable.
Pat

Magpie's Mumblings said...

D-Day should be termed 'Dread Day' - I can certainly understand your apprehension but it does sound as though you have an excellent doctor.