11/13/20

Approaching Two Finishes

It's raining hard outside as I write this, and it has been raining all night long...over an inch when we checked this morning. This storm was predicted, and so Mike and I went out and did our grocery shopping yesterday. I'd much rather do it in dry weather than wait for it to start raining sideways. Our list was relatively short since we have a lot of leftovers on the menu this coming week. And that leaves me with a day for nothing but sewing. My energy level is still low, although I can't blame the election any more. I can blame my nose, however. The pain has subsided to almost nothing, but the swelling is still significant. It makes me want to avoid mirrors. 

Before leaving for the grocery store yesterday, I was able to finish off the embroidery for my challenge piece.


I haven't taken this any further because I really want to finish up the quilting on the two quilts I'm working on. As for hand-quilting Mulligan Stew, I've moved the hoop to the final two blocks that have yet to be quilted.


Below, you can see the small areas that still need to be stitched. There's just a little bit in the upper left-hand corner, and then a small area to the right and below the middle. Somehow I missed that section.


Possibly I can get it finished today, but I'm thinking it will probably be tomorrow.

The only other sewing I did was the machine quilting on Friendship's Garden. This was done under Smitty's judgmental gaze. He's not at all sure he likes this quilt since it is completely devoid of cats.


The horizontal sashings are finished now, and I did one of the four vertical rows. This one could easily be finished today.


Smitty brightened up considerably when I told him we were finished for the day. He could see dinner in his future.


So it's raining cats and dogs outside. I'm feeling pretty good, although I still look terrible. I might try to do a little light housework today...or not. Getting these two quilts to binding stage is my top priority. When those are done, I'll get to work on the challenge piece. It's a good day to stay home and stay dry.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

The rain began again. It fell heavily, easily, with no meaning or intention but the fulfillment of its own nature, which was to fall and fall. ~ Helen Garner

Jenny said...

The worst is over and now your poor nose can get better with some R&R. The yellow quilt looks sp pretty.

Julierose said...

Oh happy that you are healing...the Friendship blocks are so pretty...
Hoping you can get a lot of rest for healing hugs, Julierose

Rhonda Casey said...

Your embroidery stitches are beautiful. I'm so jealous.

Soapstone Quilts said...

Glad it is over & done and that you are on the mend! Even close up your embroidery is perfection itself.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I don't work with a lot of yellow, but I do love this one. Maybe it's the embroideries. Glad you are feeling better.

Lyndsey said...

I've just read Sharon's comment and like her I don't use a lot of yellow. The Friendship garden quilt has made me see yellow in a whole new light and I have an urge to order some yellow fabric from my favourite quilt shop. The quilting looks great on both quilts. It's good to hear you nose is less painful. Take care and get lots of rest.

piecefulwendy said...

Since I'm a day behind on posts, I know you got those two done, and they look great! Hope you are feeling better today. Smitty is looking handsome as ever!

SJSM said...

Ah, rain. The start of the season of rain is refreshing. Having days of sunshine mixed in helps keep the blues away. Our little bit of rain is helping to wash the bits of leftover ash away. It is brightening up the dull and coated buildings, trees and plants. One did not notice the ash affect until the rain exposed the underlying color. It is surprising how much cleanup needs to be done after fires in your area. Mother Nature is taking care of this part.

Love the quilts and your opinionated buddy. Keep healing. Our faces are our projection into the world. Having anything go awry makes us feel so self conscious. As a teenager when we would get a zit, it was so humiliating. We felt it was like a third eye and thought everyone focused on it even if it was just a pin point. We still carry vestiges of those feelings even when we know it is a process we must go through. It’s a good thing faces heal relatively quickly than the rest of the body.

You did all your tasks in the right order, haircut/perm then the less invasive doctor visits before the Mohs procedure. Rest and heal.

Stitches said...

I am glad to hear that your Mohs procedure is over with and that you are on your way to healing. I have a basil cell on my nose and need to make an appointment (sooner rather than later)to get it taken care of. I'm dragging my feet!! I was encouraged to hear that your nose has gone through this 4 times and no scarring!! That is good news to me, I needed that!! Take care and keep on healing and quilting..

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm so glad to hear that your nose is no longer painful. Avoiding mirrors is never a bad thing (at least in my estimation!) so that part should be easy. I'm sure you can also avoid housework for awhile too - after all you might just hit your nose...right?