11/9/20

Destressing

We had a pretty sunrise this morning.

Looking out the south-facing window, it looked like this:

It's nice to see blue sky and sunshine, chilly though it is. We're expecting the rain to set in tomorrow and not let up for quite a while.

The events of the past several weeks have really done a number on my energy level. I'm not sure what it is, but my days have been less enthusiastically busy than usual. Possibly, I've had a few too many doctor's appointments. I'm going to remember this for the future, and not schedule them so close together, and not wait until the end of the year. There are many ways I can improve this situation if I learn from my mistakes...always a challenge. Today I'm seeing a podiatrist. I expect that will end with me getting fitted for new orthotics. These will have about a quarter-inch lift in the right foot to compensate for my life-long difference in leg length. It's become more noticeable as I've gotten older. Then, tomorrow is the dreaded Mohs procedure on my nose. The week isn't getting off to a very good start is it?

We had chilly, but sunny weather yesterday. I like that my mid-arm machine is stationed in front of a west-facing window. Usually the sun is shining in brightly by the time I sit down to quilt. It's a nice change from my windowless, basement sewing room. I was able to quilt four of nine blocks before running low on energy yesterday. It's a simple motif. I'll get a little fancier when I get to the sashings and borders. I'm just doing a meandering design, and I decided to outline each block. It makes the quilt back more defined.





Of course a day of quilting is never complete with out a visit from my furry friend. He inspects every quilt.


I took a break from quilting there and never went back. 

In other quilting news, I'm making good progress on hand-quilting Mulligan Stew, and I expect I'll have it finished before the week is out. That means it's time to ready the next block (the last one) for I Believe in Snowmen. It's a large section with some applique. Here's the template.


If I'm remembering right, the background fabric is cut to something like 13 x 34 inches. I'll be using scrappy red and whites for the applique. Looking at the picture from the pattern cover, it looks like this:


Probably I need to read the finishing instructions before I do any cutting since I'm not sure how that star on the left fits with the rest. It appears to be pieced into the section, and I might need to do that first. Either way, I'll be getting a start on this later this afternoon, I think. I'll need to have the applique finished before I can start on the embroidery.

There's nothing else on the agenda after my morning appointment with the podiatrist. Except for that, I'll spend the day quilting, fusing, and (if it gets that far) top-stitching the applique. I'm hoping my energy level will pick up a little. Has anyone else noticed a dip? These are stressful times we're living in, but I'm feeling more optimistic than I have in a long time.

14 comments:

Barbara said...

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Spacing appointments is a good thing, but unfortunately this year it couldn't be done = thus the pile up at the end of the year. A stressful year indeed but we had a month with a time change and two full moons - triple whammy

gpc said...

My energy level has definitely sagged, partly from being able to breath again, I suspect. It has taken a lot out of me to hold up all the troubles of the world for so long. You're welcome.

JCH said...

Beautiful sunrise. Our sunset last nite looked very similar and this morn we had a full rainbow. Nature is so inspiring.

Julierose said...

Best of luck tomorrow for your Mohs surgery...sending good thoughts and prayers your way...;)))
That snowman border looks so cute...the applique looks like really small pieces though...
Take care now hugs, Julierose

Crew at Cabin Central said...

Good luck tomorrow! I've had that on my nose as well. I fell asleep in the waiting room. :) You should also find that your knees and back will feel MUCH better with the extra lift. I like the quilting on your Friendship Garden quilt. Looks happy!

Success and looking forward to hearing you update tomorrow!
Deb

Lyndsey said...

I think your energy level will pick up after your appointment today. It's hard to stay full of energy when you have a procedure hanging over you. You did well on the quilting and it looks great. I like the final snowman piece and I'm looking forward to seeing all the stitcheries put together. Think of you today, good luck.

Joan G said...

Lovely job on your stitching! Thinking of you today - hope all goes well with your procedure.

Teresa said...

Love all your stitching and blocks. So much fun to have a variety of projects to work on. pray all goes well on your medical procedure.

MissPat said...

I struggled with a lack of motivation when we first went into lockdown and because NY stayed locked down for so long my energy level and sense of fore-boding carried on way into summer. Then we got so hot that I didn't physically feel like doing anything but sit in a chair. Things are a bit better now, but worry about the rising case load weighs heavy. I'll throw my positive vibes into the mix for today's procedure and a swift recovery.
Pat

piecefulwendy said...

What beautiful views you have as you greet the day. I don't know if I'd know how to act if I had that much going on in a week. I attempted to get in to see the eye doctor, and then had to cancel, so I don't expect to be able to get in until after the new year. Always fun to see your embroidery projects.

SJSM said...

Energy has been tough to maintain. Covid SIP still continues but the 30 days of hazardous air from fires really took it out of me. I’m just finishing up the clean up. The walls are the last thing to wipe down. Talk about an energy zap with lung issues. Then the election anxiety gets a different set of stressors going. It is hoped by the end of Tuesday you will be over the big hump of stressors and healing of body and soul proceeds quickly. A less stressed holiday season you have maintained for several years will certainly be a balm.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Yes, I'm with you in lack of energy. I was blaming it on the time change which always knocks me for a loop when it changes in the fall - this year I'm more 'loopy' than usual it seems. Could also be the onset of winter on the horizon, always depressing for me.
Will be thinking about you today....

Tammy Hutchinson said...

The past couple of weeks, months, have worn me out also. Thankfully we had a most beautiful fall in the Appalachian mountains and I spent so much time doing garden clean up that I was able to sleep well. Hopeful for better days, and for good health for you. I love the snowmen pattern and look forward to your version.