9/21/20

Nearing the Finish Line

Most of yesterday was spent quilting, and I'm happy to say the Bag Ladies are reading for binding. You might recall I was just getting started in the narrow yellow border. My first task was to stitch all the way around with the "paperclip" motif:


The bag ladies have sort of captured my heart with their characters, and so I wanted to do the outer borders with some kind of a heart motif. I saw this kind of lazy upsy-downsy heart border on Pinterest, and that was a pretty easy one to stitch.


Then I did a heart-shaped feather in the outer border. The outer border is 5-1/2 inches, and I wasn't sure I liked this big bulbous heart. When I was all finished, it looked okay.


And here they are, all quilted up.


Here are a couple of close-ups of the quilting.



Here's how it looks from the back.


After they posed for their picture, I took them downstairs and added buttons to Charlotte...


and to Thelma.


Before I could square them up, I needed to finish cutting 30 more 2 x 2-inch squares for Jenny's Flower Garden. 


Now they're squared up and ready to have their binding sewn on. I have the strips cut, but that's as far as I got when I needed to stop for the day.


Outside, Mike decided it was time to clean house. You might remember our swallow "townhouse community" hanging from the wall of the garage. We had a family of swallows living there this past spring and early summer. (I'm so glad their house didn't burn up in the fire.)


I was keeping the camera at-the-ready in case something "interesting" happened here.


Smitty thought it might be interesting if there were still birds living in the house.


His hopes dashed, he decided to take a dust bath instead. As far as Smitty's concerned, it's good to be home.


Inside the bird house, we found some pretty messy housekeeping. 


Now it's all cleaned out and ready for next year's brood. Kind of fun. We used to get swallows nesting under the eaves of our house. Then, the starlings came and bullied them out. The swallows still showed up every April, but then they'd move along after just a week or so. Mike built the four houses, hoping to coax them to stay a little longer. Mission accomplished.

This morning I have a video appointment with a new doctor. At my last blood draw, I tested "strong positive" for indicators of rheumatoid arthritis. It's not a big deal. I've had some ongoing mild pain in the knuckles of both index fingers. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing. The pain is always there, especially when gripping even objects of the lightest weight. So, I'm speaking with a rheumatologist, mainly to find out what to expect, warning signs to look for, whether medication is advisable...I have lots of questions. This "video" deal is new to me though, and so I've had some "performance anxiety" about it. Yesterday I was rehearsing different ways this could happen: where I should sit...what’s behind me...should I turn my iPad vertical or horizontal...does this lighting make my butt look big? Silly stuff. It will probably end up being a non-event. At least I won't be perched half-naked on a cold exam table. I might even like it. Anyway...there's that.

When that's over, I'll get the binding sewn on the Bag Ladies, and then I'll consider what I should do with the rest of my life now that the Bag Ladies are nearly finished. Finishing a quilt can be a little like sending one's youngest child off to college. Oh yes...and Jenny's Flower Garden awaits too. When the binding is finished, I'll start sewing those blocks together.

14 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Nice finish for the bag ladies. I had my first video doctor appt last week, but the video part didn't work at all, just audio. Hope yours goes well. My best friends brother and oldest son have RA. Good luck.

Julierose said...

Bag Ladies quilting is just beautiful--lovely work on this...
Hugs, Julierose

Connie said...

Thank you for showing the back of the Bag Ladies. That was an impressive amount of quilting and a wide variety of stitches. Well done! Good to hear that you and yours are safe and getting slowly back to normal
Connie
c_s_wolfe@yahoo.com

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your Bag Ladies turned out wonderfully. Don't know what I'd think of a video chat for a doctor appointment - I did mine over the phone but still ended up having to go in because she wanted me to have a pap test, plus I needed to get the shingles & pneumonia shots. DH had to go for his but not until the end of Oct. and if the virus #s keep climbing I don't want him anywhere near the place. Unfortunately the dr. doesn't feel the same way and she's being insistent that she wants to see him.

Frog Quilter said...

Beautiful finish on bags ladies. Your cats always crack me up!

gpc said...

The Bag Ladies are inspirational. I identified with Abigail in the beginning, both because of her name and because I was fishing then, but I have expanded my old lady-ness in the meantime and now identify with and embrace the qualities of each. I hope it is not too much of a boast to say that I also more closely resemble them physically as the years go by. Lovely tribute.

Cathy said...

Bag Ladies is delightful! You did some lovely quilting! I’ve had one video doctor visit and it was kinda fun. I’ve been going to my doctor since 1983 (37 years?!?). Besides the medical stuff, we’ve talked about traveling, gardens, local politics and city issues (I was involved in the Chamber of Commerce back in the day with his wife). But in the last virtual visit I sat in my reading chair and was joined by Alfie. Dr. V laughed and asked about our cats and revealed he was a cat person himself. All those years, I never knew!

AnnieO said...

Nice quilting on all the ladies!
Telemedicine is great when it works...I’m a medical scribe and we’ve been at it for months! The hardest part is connecting, the rest is just talk :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The quilting really accents the ladies and I love the choice of the yellow for binding. We no longer have bird houses - my son took them up to his place (he made them). We've had thr33 nights in a row of heavy frost and I finally turned the heat on tonight as the house was getting rather chilly. When both furkids sleep cuddled on the couch amongst the plushy blankets, it's cold.

piecefulwendy said...

You are doing well on finishing your quilts. Those bag ladies are so fun. Will you hang this one where they can chat with you as you quilt? Glad your video session went well.

SJSM said...

Bag ladies came out well. Glad to see the bird houses cleaned out and Smitty not fed. Looking forward to seeing Jenny’s Flower Garden continue.

MissPat said...

I remember the bag lady blocks from Sharon's blog (I wasn't following you at that time). I'm not sure if she's finished hers, but yours looks terrific. I like the quilting motifs you used in the borders. I tend to get set in my ways and use the same ones all the time. Hope the telemedicine visit went well. My annual physical is the last week in December in person and I'm hoping our Covid numbers stay low and we don't have a snow storm that week.

kc said...

The Ladies turned out great! Love all the textures you've added with those new stitches. Good ole Smitty, can always count on him for a good dose of handsome. The birds are always fun, no matter where they nest. We had several broods fledge in our porch eave in NC, and purple martins swarmed us in FL (along with "our" flock of 16 sandhill cranes), but haven't seen too many here in Silver Springs. Tho, we DID see a monkey in the trees the other afternoon (yes, really, there are wild monkeys here, check our friend google for their story).

I've done telehealth a couple of times now, and I LOVE it! Sometimes it's a little dicey, either video doesn't quite work right, but there's always phone service, and that's plenty good enough for me. No germs but my own, and I don't have to freeze in the waiting room. We have been Zoom square dancing for a couple of months now, and that's all fun and games (till someone gets hurt). I've been stepped on a couple of times, and those phantom dancers don't always know where they are or should be, so it's kind of confusing, but it's a lotta fun.

Good luck with the RA bit, I hear it can be moderated a bit now, more so than even just a couple of years ago. I trust you'll keep us posted.

Judy1522 said...

Nice job finishing up the bag ladies. I looked at mine today but that was as far as I got. I do have the embroidery on some to finish up yet before I can put them together so it will be awhile yet.
Hope your video appt goes well.