8/15/20

Hot Day Ahead

The weather has been lovely this summer...a little cooler than some summers, with a few hot days sprinkled in. It's supposed to get hot the next few days. We're at about 1,400 feet of elevation, and so it's always about 10 degrees cooler on our hill than it is in the valley. Still, I'm expecting this to be a day for the A/C. I'll be getting out early to do my gardening and watering. There are probably more beets to harvest, and I'll want to make another batch of pickled beets. The pickling will wait, though. Today is going to be a sewing day. 

Having so many appointments the past week has made me lazy when I'm home. Is it just me, or does it seem especially tiring being out in these COVID times? Fortunately everyone was wearing a mask yesterday. While I was trying to choose new frames for my glasses, there were two women who seemed to be everywhere at once. Certainly they were everywhere I wanted to be. I considered killing them, but then just stood back and waited for them to GTFOOTW. (Expletives in that acronym. I won't say any more about it.)

So anyway...I took my cue from the kitties when I arrived home yesterday afternoon. Here's what they told me to do:


They were quiet while we discussed this.


So I just did what they did. Kitties are excellent sleeping companions.

Before I left for my eye appointment, I turned the third corner for Tuxedo Tales.


When I woke up from my nap, it seemed like a good dose of sugar was in order, and so I baked a Dutch Apple Pie for two. This was from some apple pie filling I made last year. Yum.


While that was baking, I finished off the binding for Tuxedo Tales. And that, my friends, is a finish. I started this quilt back in January of 2017.


Here's how it looks from the back. Please ignore the sock-footed photographer.


This was my goal for August's:


so I'll link to the party at the end of the month.

My slow stitching rotation is taking me back to the big stitch hand quilting on Mulligan Stew. I'll stitch another side of it from corner to corner. This is my oldest WIP, having been started in 2013. One of these days, I think I might actually finish it. 

After that, I'll need to get outside and do some gardening before it gets too warm. After that, I'll be spending the afternoon in my cool basement sewing room where icicles will probably be forming. Finishing off a project often kills my sewing mojo temporarily, but I have some ideas about the challenge quilt for "The Sea" prompt. It kind of fell into place for me last night, and now I'm excited to get started. More later, but the reveal won't be until November. Sorry...it's as hard for me to wait as it is for you. 

Stay cool, my friends. And remember, fall will be here soon enough.

14 comments:

Annette Mandel said...

I drove thur Wilsonville at 12:30 yesterday. You must have been buying glasses, because the traffic was all buggered up.
Glad you had the discussion with S & S. Annette

Julierose said...

Oh Tuxedo turned out beautifully...So pretty--you did a fantastic job on this --all that applique and all;))
Super pretty....
Hugs from a cooler place today--ahhh Julierose

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Nice quilt finish! Congrats!

Lyndsey said...

Tuxedo is such a pretty quilt. I love the applique and great choice of fabrics for the back and binding. Good choice to snooze with the kitties yesterday. Our really hot weather (high 30's) has broken and we are so much cooler which has given me new energy. Today the humidity was still up but that is improving.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Setting foot outside the house isn't an experience I relish anymore and I agree that it's tiring. I absolutely dread dealing with people and I think a lot of it is because most are masked and you can't read the expressions on their faces. There's a movement out there right now to encourage masks to be made of something clear so people can actually see one another - and it helps those who are hard of hearing as well. When the stay at home directive happened initially I was horrified and simply couldn't imagine being cooped up at home all the time. Now the pendulum has swung and I'm horrified if I have to go out! Funny how our normal has changed. Tuxedo Cats turned out wonderfully!

Sandra W said...

There's just something about seeing cats dozing. They always seem to happy and content. Great quilt finish btw.

Tilly said...

Like your Tuxedo cats, lots of work but worth it.
And take a nap with the kitties after a shopping event is just the right way to relax.

piecefulwendy said...

I think it's more tiring being out and about because of the added anxiety of social distancing, masks and whatnot. I don't recall ever needing a nap after errands pre-COVID, but I have a short memory, so maybe I did. I do know that I certainly never had the feeling that I needed to rush through the store and get outta there like I do now. Congrats on the finish of Tuxedo Tales - it looks wonderful! Stay cool.

SJSM said...

We are having a thunder and lightning event. That is very unusual for our area. We awoke to the thunder at 5:30 and decided It was a good time to get a cup of coffee and sit on the front porch and watch it all roll through. Thunder and lightning usually happens once every two or three years. It was a good show. A warm and humid front is coming through and we lost our cool nights. A/C running day and night.

I will try the shrimp bowl. It looks good.

Cherie in St Louis said...

I agree, it’s draining going these days! I’m loving the tuxedo kitties...what a fabulous quilt :) I might be drooling after the shot of your awesome looking pie ;-)

kc said...

Going out precovid was trying enough. Going out now is simply exhausting! In our travels across country, I am constantly reminding driver to back up, mask up, take a wipe, don't touch, go wash your hands... Ad nauseum. I feel like a shrew, and exhausted shrew! When we check in to the hotel, I have a whole routine I go through, wiping every surface down and spraying all the linens. I ask him to just stand still and don't touch, but he's always flipping switches and turning faucets before I can get to em. I'll be sooooo glad to get back in our camper soon!!!

Tuxedo Tales turned out really pretty, just like the kitties. And double yum on the apple crisp!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Congratulations on a great finish! Yes indeed going anywhere around people is very tiring. That pie looks delicious!

Kate said...

Congrats on the finish! Is Tuxedo Tales going to be added to the hallway collection.

Patty said...

Very nice! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!