4/23/20

This and That

It was kind of a slow day here at the Three Cats Ranch yesterday. We've been working fast and furiously in the yard, but then the rain came back. It kind of takes the wind out of our sails garden-wise. The next couple of days are supposed to be nicer, and so we'll be back outside some today. But first...grocery shopping. Sigh.

Yesterday, I decided to feed my sourdough starters. Matthew has requested another loaf of the sourdough cinnamon raisin bread, and how can I resist my youngest child...even if he is a grown man. I wasn't happy with how lively (nor how wet) the white starter is, and so I gave it a good feeding, and I'll keep it out a few days, feeding it each day. We'll see if we can perk it up a little.


The whole grain starter was a little dry, and so its feeding included a little more water than flour. Whole grains absorb more water, and so it makes sense.


I'll feed them again today and probably tomorrow before embarking on another bread-baking adventure.

I'd taken the stitchery a little farther yesterday morning. Here's a peek.


As of this morning, the embroidery is finished. I just need to turn it into a little quilt, and then I'll send it off to my friend.

In the sewing room, I finished the second row of sections for the poppy mosaic.


There was still plenty of time for sewing left in the day, but I paused here to help Smitty take a new profile shot for his Linked In page. He's trying to project an image as the strong silent type.


When that was finished, I got back to work on the third row of sections. Just three sections to go, and I'll be ready to sew this to the rest of the quilt. The final section used the first bit of green fabric.


And that was the end of my sewing day. There's much to do today, but I'm hoping to finish off that third row and sew it together.

Grocery shopping always gets the day off to a bad start, but I'm hoping the rest of the day will be an improvement.

5 comments:

Kristine said...

I'm trying to catch up in my blog feed, and I was so sad to not see your wonderful pictures for about 10 different posts. Starting March 25th, to about April 10th. I thought maybe it was my phone. Nope, can't see them on the PC. Your most recent posts have all the pictures again. I'm not sure what changed, but I thought that at the very least you would like to know.

Kathy S. said...

Oh I haven't had sourdough starters forever! That's a great idea during quarantine time.

Love your embroidery stitches on the bird -- great detail.

The poppy mosaic is also a great quarantine project! It's so pretty and cheery. Have a great day at 3-Cat Ranch!

piecefulwendy said...

I'm sure you've recovered from the grocery shopping experience by now. We had a nice day yesterday, and we celebrated by stopping at a local eatery for chicken & fries to bring home for lunch. We sat on the deck in the sunshine; it was wonderful! Then I cleaned out a fabric drawer, which of course led to unexpected quilt projects. All in all, a good day! Hope you are enjoying better weather - we have rain in the forecast.

SJSM said...

You inspired me. My SonIL has a starter for sourdough that originated from a recipe developed by Tartine Bakery in San Francisco. . I brought the baggie of yeasty goodness home. It was fed, protected and coddled and is now a vibrant concoction. A first loaf was made and the discard was given to a friend. It is now perking once again and the discard will go to another home. I think I ate half of the first loaf spread with butter. Now I think I should lay off as I have spread. The SonIL is the king of all things yeast based. Degrees in molecular biology and UD Davis classes on beer and wine making plus independent study on bread creates a fountain of yeast knowledge. Did you know their are professional conferences just for the subject of yeast? Not only in the food and beverage field but medical and pharmaceutical fields. He went the medical route but tinkers in the food and beverage as hobbies.

Kate said...

Unfortunately, I can sympathize way to much with the garden induced aches and pains. Tree trimming is best left to the young we've discovered. My Guy's been trying to get a starter going and it wasn't going well till last weekend. Love your new poppies project. Hope you get in lots of stitching time this weekend.