4/22/20

Open, Open, Open

When it's springtime, I find myself venturing out into the garden on a daily basis, looking for the next surprise. There's a lot going on right now with the budding and blooming, and it seems as if there's always something new to see.

It was nice enough to be outside yesterday, and that meant the kitties could be outside too. When I let them out, I walk around clapping my hands just to be sure there are no "bad dogs" around. As I'm making my rounds, I'm checking everything to see which new buds have appeared, and which old buds have opened. Here's yesterday's display.

Most all of the azaleas are budding out now in all different colors. This one will be a brilliant red in a few days.


The flowers are beginning to open on the clematis.


The dappled willow seems to be doing the thing we planted it for. I wanted this for the spray of white tips it makes as it regains its foliage. We planted it two years ago, and so far, it hasn't behaved as expected. This year, I'm noticing more white tips on the new growth.


Here's one I saw on Pinterest. It looks better groomed than ours, and so maybe we need to try shaping it a little better.


For now, ours looks a lot like my hair does these days. A little like Doc from Back to the Future.


This next one is the Golden Chain tree. When we arrived home, we were saddened to see it had blown over at some point during the winter. It had green buds on it, and so Mike staked it up, only hoping it would survive. Yesterday, I noticed the first flower buds appearing, and so we are optimistic.


In the background, you can see Mike and his blue New Holland tractor planting fence posts. He and Matthew were out working in the long-neglected vegetable plot yesterday. They got quite a bit done, and pulled the fencing out of the weeds. Sadly, a portion of the fencing was mowed over at some point, and so it will need to be replaced. Most of it was in good shape.


The lilac is covered in buds now. I'm excited for them to open.


The plum tree is fully in bloom now. With rain in the forecast, I'm not sure how it will get pollinated. I think I say that every year, and every year we get more plums than I can use.


The apple tree has lots of flowers. It will be interesting to see how many apples it produces. They aren't great apples, but the deer love them.


Finally, the rosemary has been in bloom ever since we came back. When I worked in the herb garden a couple of days ago, I cut off all the dead branches, and so it looks a lot better.


It took me a long time to get a rosemary plant going that would survive the winter. This one has been with us for a couple of years now. Each year a few of the branches die off, but it replaces them with new ones. Still, I would expect any big ice storm to kill it off, and then I'll have to start over again.

Most of my day yesterday was spent working on the Poppy Mosaic. I finished the first row of sections. There are 7 sections across and 10 down, so there's still a lot to do on this.


Sadie was an excellent companion for this, and she refrained from rolling around in my sorted piles of scraps.


By day's end, I had it this far along.


So far, I'm using my tiniest scraps on this, but I won't have enough for the whole quilt. I'll have to break into the medium-sized scraps before it's finished. The little squares are cut to 1-1/2 inches, and so they are 1-inch when sewn together. The centers of the poppies are black, and you can see the last section had one HST that included the first bit of black. There will be more in use before the day is over.

We're back to rain for today, and then it should clear up for a day or two before the rain returns. It's a good mix during Spring, and I usually don't have to start watering in earnest before June. Today will be a stay-in-and-sew day. There are a few housekeeping chores, and I need to make up a grocery shopping list. There's plenty on the agenda, and so I'll just get to it. I hope you have a good day.

5 comments:

Julierose said...

Wow you definitely are into springtime at your place;)) how nice!!
We, here, are still very chilly and windy--feels like February!!
Nice reds against those brighter blues on your Poppies project...
I am getting my grocery list up and running...i am hoping I won't have to go for another week and a half...laying low here and resting
~ ~ ~ waving masked, gloved, hatted and scarfed!
incognito for sure Julierose

Christine said...

Love the garden photos, will try to take some of my garden so we can compare....I may just wander off topic though!
You have been extremely patient with the squares of the poppy quilt. I am enjoying seeing it all come together.⁵

kc said...

So nice to see so many buds and blooms! We really miss the FL flowers. We had been trying to purchase flowers for weeks, when the virus hit and the floral Dept at the grocery closed. We hadn't purchased any bc we were looking for blooms AND fragrance. They either looked good but didn't smell or they looked bad and didn't smell so we decided not to waste our money. Oh, btw, they only ever had carnations, roses and fresia. Never lilies, sunflowers or even Gerbrera daisies. I wouldn't have minded paying for flowers that looked good that weren't supposed to smell, but now there's nuthin. All the floral workers have been pulled to cleaning and policing duties. Which is a shame, but so obviously needed.

Your poppies are really coming along nicely. I am also working with 1.5 inch squares right now. Fiddly things, aren't they!

piecefulwendy said...

It's good to know the world has tilted completely. Seeing you and the kitties out in the garden, checking on what's blooming and what isn't, let's me know that there is still some sameness to this crazy world. I'll bet the guys enjoy working on the garden, even though it's hard work. It's satisfying work at day's end. We are finally getting nicer weather, and the trees are budding. Mid-60's again today. I didn't realize the poppy quilt is so tiny - what fun!

QuiltGranma said...

When visiting the tulip area at La Conner, WA a few years ago we went into a very nice nursery and I found a rosemary that was good to the low temps that we get here in eastern OR. This year she has blooms on it for the first time. This makes me HAPPY! We had seen some blooming in CA but I had never seen them bloom before. Have you tried rosemary tea? Mild and nice.