4/24/20

The Grocery Store Slog

Mike and I are going to the grocery store together these days. We're both masked and gloved, and he has strict instructions to keep both hands on the shopping cart at all times. Maybe it's an unnecessary risk for both of us to go, but I really want the company. I believe we're in and out much faster too with him manning the cart, and me racing from one thing to another. I've realized these outings take nearly all my energy for the day though, and yesterday I just wanted to lie around after we got home. We had lunch, and we both took naps, but I was still wiped out for the rest of the day. I think my friend Wendy hit the nail on the head when she said it's the added stress, whether we feel it at the time or not.

Back home, we unloaded the groceries and put things away, washed our hands, and then set free the cats for a short morning outing. We're severely limiting their time outside to only the time when we can be out with them. Yesterday, they were two cats on a mission. They couldn't wait to get out and kill something.


Sadie thought they should play King of the Mountain, but Smitty was more interested in grazing on the tall stalks of grass.


Walking around, one of the rhododendrons is just about to open up all of its flowers. We just need some warmth and sunshine.


Also, a couple of the azaleas are opening. This is the bright red one.


This is the purply-pink one (or pinkly-purp, as my mother-in-law used to say).


Oh yes, and one more picture of the relocated and rededicated Gracie Memorial Catnip Garden. Yesterday, I noticed the little stone with her epitaph at the old location, and so I moved it near her garden stake.


Here's a close-up if you're having trouble reading her epitaph.


Back inside once again, and post-nap, I finished off my latest pay-it-forward project. Just hand-sewing the binding is left, and then I'll mail it off to my friend. For now, you only get a peek.


Also, I finished off the third row of sections for the poppy mosaic. Watching the design emerge as I go is what makes these so addicting.


I'll be working more with the greens as I progress. Smitty was at the ready to help me sort my green scraps into five gradients of value.


He's loving these warm afternoons when he can sunbathe on his catio.


Last night, I made a skillet cookie. I realized that my medium-sized iron skillet is the best one to use for this. I have a smaller 6-inch skillet, but I think this 8-inch skillet works a little better. It needed deeper sides. I was having trouble with the cookie dough baking over the top of the smaller one. And just now, I Googled how to measure an iron skillet. It turns out the bottom measurement is the one you need...not the top, and so this probably actually *is* a 6-inch skillet. Duh.


We split this three ways, and it was a perfect serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to top it off. Yum. Matthew hadn't had this before. I told him it was so good, it would make him want to die. He said something like, "You mean you never want to live life without simultaneously eating this cookie again?" Exactly. This is the recipe I'm using. They want you to save some of the chocolate chips to sprinkle over the top, or to melt for chocolate syrup. I just threw all of mine into the batter. One can never have too many chocolate chips.

So we're back to the gloom again. No sunshine = No gardening. The kitties seem to have figured out that they only go out when the sun is shining, and they headed down for their clubhouse first thing this morning. I'm going to finish off the binding on the pay-it-forward project, and then get back to work on the poppy mosaic. Dinner will go into the crockpot this morning, so it should be a fairly laid-back day.

10 comments:

Julierose said...

that skillet cookie looks amazing--I made gooey brownies for us
this morning...another gloomy day here, too...
I only sewed one block today--just tired...
~ ~ ~ waving from the recliner Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

The skillet cookie looks wonderful, though we're already gaining way too much weight during this isolation period. I've tried to only bake bread once a week and forego the muffins, cookies, etc. If they're there on the counter we'll eat them. Smitty and Sadie look like little storm troopers heading out in the morning. Good that they recognize that rainy days are clubhouse days. Gibbs isn't happy until he's been across the creek and up the hill at least twice a day, no matter the weather.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Again, thank you for the flowers. We are cold, rainy (edge of snowy), windy and blah again! If I take my Mom shopping it's an hour or more excursion. If I go alone it's 15 minutes and I am much happier thru the day. Prepping lots of tiny circles for my 'Cornona' piece so I have some hand stitching over the weekend.

kc said...

Ok, so I had to go look t the recipe for the skillet cookie. Looks like all same stuff that goes in my big batches. The ones I make in the KitchenAid mixer. You know, the 4 dozen batch one. Sadly, tho, I only ever get to freeze about 6 or 8 cookies. Yes, why yes, we do sit and eat them straight off the cooling rack until we are obnoxiously and sickeningly gorged. Then I take the still warm, but surviving fat bombs and put them in a Ziploc for tomorrow's dessert. Rarely do they last 3 days total.

Agreed on the stress thing, we've taken to stripping and showering Fterwards, too, and washing all the clothes and masks in hot water immediately upon return. Probably not necessary, but I feel better about it

I will be glad to share our sunshine with you, in return for the lovely blooms. We hit 84 today, with a bright blue sky, but inland was 107, yes, not a typo! And our friends in AZ are baking at 102. We decided to wash the rig today, thinking the spray might feel good, and we were right. If the beach is open later we will probably ride our bikes down to it and see if there are any shells washed up. It should be sunny, but not as warm here today.

Poppies are really coming together nicely!

SJSM said...

It was 81* today. I did not get out at all. I woke at 1:30 AM and sewed to 5:30 AM thinking I’d sleep until 8 or so. Nope. 11:00. That threw the whole day off. By the time I cleaned the CSA veggies and cooked the beets it was 3:00. So much for that day. Dinner was simple and I finished up one project and started another in the evening. I went to bed at the normal time. I won’t leave bed tonight until at least 5:09 AM trying to get back to a regular schedule. This is nuts. More exercise is needed to tire me out and to sleep better. Will try that again today.

Sew on!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Our garden is coming alive too. I know what you mean about the grocery store. Ours has one way aisles now, and people are not only ignoring that, many aren't wearing masks or keeping their distance. I just want to get the bare minimum and get out.

piecefulwendy said...

We've had so much fun cooking and eating that I was up two pounds when I stepped on the scale this morning. Ugh. But that cookie looks really good. I'll have to measure my cast iron skillet properly. I'm guessing mine is 9-10". I thoroughly enjoyed my sewing day yesterday, so I'll see if I can match that today. Fun to see the kitties outdoors and enjoying themselves. Your poppy quilt is taking shape and looking good!

Linda said...

Yum on the skillet cookie. I made a new-to-me chocolate chip cookie recipe last night, and it was better than my tried and true one. So we ate too many of them. I loved Smitty's Linked In photo from the last post and the garden shots from the one before (I need to keep up!) My rosemary bush had to be moved this year because it had gotten so big for the space. It seems unaffected by our few freezes. Can't wait to see the pay-it-forward piece.

Kate said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful blooms from the garden. You must have some beautiful views from the house. My Guy does all the grocery shopping for us, I only have to go if he's out of town. But it is a lot more stressful and more of a production these days. Hope you get in lots of stitching this weekend.

Debbie said...

Yep, it could be the stress of going out. I had a eye doctor appt. last week and almost had a panic attack before leaving the house! Anyway, the pixelation looks so good! You are doing really well with the reds. Keep going:) And thanks for the cookie recipe...looks wonderful