4/25/20

Stay Home and Sew

There's not much to say about yesterday. It was a mostly-sewing day. A few times I chased off the squirrel who has taken to eating the new growth off our dwarf Japanese maple. What's up with that?


He likes his living room of tulips and evergreens, however, and he's considering a career in modeling once he's fattened himself up enough on the new growth. Or maybe it's a "she" squirrel. It's hard to tell.

The latest pay-it-forward is finished now, packed up, and ready for mailing to my friend. You get to see just this peek, but I'll show you the rest in a few days.


Here's another peek at the fourth of four. For sure and certain the next Surprisee reads my blog, and so I can only show you just a bit of this one.


I'll get a start on it this morning. It shouldn't take more than a couple of days and it too will be on its way.

The only other thing I did was to finish up the fourth row of sections on the poppy mosaic. It's about 40% done now. By this afternoon, I'm hoping to have the next row across. I'm nearly finished with the reds now, although there is a smaller flower a little lower down. The black is finished since the smaller flower has none. I'll be working mostly with greens and blues today. There should be fewer HST's as well, and so I expect the next section to go faster than the previous ones.


As I'm looking at this, I see a possible error. There's a black piece that appears turned wrong or out of place somehow. I'll have to take a look at the pattern. I may have transposed it somehow.


Isn't it interesting how you can see things in a photograph that you can't see with your naked eye?

Still no signs of petals on the poppy outside. I'm not sure my quilting is helping it decide to bloom any faster. Possibly if I made a quilt of sunshine it would pop open. There's no sunshine here today. We're expecting rain, rain, rain...all day, nothing but rain. It was nice to have a couple of weeks of warmer weather and sunshine, but a rather cruel tease. Now we're in for rain for quite a while.

Today will go much as yesterday, although I do have some bread on its final rise as I'm writing this. I'll be putting it in the oven in about an hour. Pictures to follow. Some of you have written about your warm...REALLY warm...weather. Just know that I'm appropriately envious.

7 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

well--the weather here has been warm--east coast of Florida
but over cast for two days--yesterday was rainy most of the day--but--we need the rain--so it was ok--!!
love how your poppy's are coming along--you do really good work on these projects--
and homemade bread--I am not found of sourdough bread--would make some yeast bread--but can you guess what I don't have to make that???
have a fun day sewing--
luv, di
do you have a hairdresser story for Thursdays post--
I am trying to get bloggers to write about their hairdresser stories for that day--??
stay safe--

Julierose said...

We are having one warm-ish day today. but rains are due to arrive tomorrow and for the foreseeable future!! And colder again...
Your poppies are really coming very well; nice colors...so vivid...
I have found myself getting just so tired of all of this...I am sure I am not alone in feeling this way;0000
Stay safe
~ ~ ~ waving in the sunshine Julierose

WoolenSails said...

I have a problem with squirrels, they are always eating the food as fast as I put it out for the birds. I also bought some new tulips and something ate them, hmmm. Lots of great projects and your gift piece looks beautiful as a sneak peak. I just got my cancellation from Fishermen's. We were supposed to have the new trailer and testing it there, but no trailer and no camping, so not sure what will happen with the next one.

Debbie

kc said...

I find it amazing how you can always find so many color variations and put them together to make something so distinct and vibrant. I was the fortunate recipient of a box of scraps and an Irish chain pattern and I started making blocks. It looks like I raised a trash can of a hobo. Not happy with a single one, much less the lot of em. Perhaps I should just relocate them all to your house and let you make something pretty.

We rode bikes to the beach yesterday and if it hadn't been for the steady breeze, it would have been hot! I think we start waxing today. That promises to be a long, hard job. Perhaps I should stay inside and keep working on Fugly scraps.

I do have 50 masks on order tho, maybe they'll arrive today? Driver does not like your skillet cookie idea. Says that's not enough ROI, says takes sane amount of energy to make a whole (big) batch, so might as well. He also said if I don't want to eat em, just leave my share and he'd take care of it. Yeah, right, like that's even possible.

Can't wait to see another peek! And a whole!

piecefulwendy said...

I'm loving the look of that poppy quilt. I use my phone to take photos often while I'm working on a project. That third eye seems to help. I wouldn't have noticed that little black piece. Hope it's not too much of a pain to fix.

Linda said...

You are really tormenting us with the pansy peeks. At least you are letting us see your progress on the mosaic, which I love, love, love. I would not have noticed the black piece. I saw your beautiful bread on IG and I would take the end piece with a slab of butter, although I would pick out the raisins. I grew up picking raisins out of everything Mom made It probably drove her crazy but I never complained, just picked them out.

SJSM said...

Yes, we are warming up to almost hot. It is sad as we need more rain and the rain window is about closed for the season. I don’t think we will get any more. With the cost of water we need to decide about the back yard. The last drought took all the grass and it is now burr. The front has about half the lawn left so it may be saved. Regardless I’ve been so busy very little time is spent outside. I take a few daily walks and proceed with various projects. Bread was a few days ago. Then masks and cleaning. Always there is cleaning and meal prep.